Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Switch Off Router's RF Power

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Switch Off Router's RF Power

Old 29-12-2011, 17:02   #1
Roger D
Inactive

Roger D is an unknown quantity at this point
Switch Off Router's RF Power

I use a Belkin F5D8236 router and want, from time-to-time, to turn off the wireless function completely, so that no RF power is radiated. Does anyone know whether going into the setup screens – Wireless> Channel and SSID> Wireless Mode> OFF will completely power off the wireless signal?
TIA
Roger D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2011, 17:07   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Switch Off Router's RF Power

yup

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/...on-your-router
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 19:46   #3
Roger D
Inactive

Thanks for your response.
The reference you point to says it "disables wireless functionality", but does that mean it switches off the wireless transmitter or just disables the modulation?
Old 29-12-2011, 20:03   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you only have the function of disabling the broadcast of the ssid which I suppose would disable the radio function all in one. the router itself may turn that apart of the router off or just code it not broadcast.. not sure whether it can take DD WRT, if it does you'll have more options than those Belkins gives you on their basic interface.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 20:11   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Disabling wireless will turn off the RF.. Disabling SSID only will not as that just turns off the broadcast ID.

Why though do you want the RF turned off?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 20:31   #6
Roger D
Inactive

I want to _occasionally_ turn off the RF because I friend of mine is worried about long-term exposure of his kids to RF fields. Now there's no point trying to work out whether he's right or wrong as the "experts" don't agree about it, I'm just trying to see if I can humour him by temporarily killing the RF if and when I want to -- without also killing the ethernet connection.
In the case of my Belkin the only control I have is "Wireless Mode OFF" and it's not clear to me what exactly this does.
Sorry to labour the point.
Old 29-12-2011, 20:34   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Is he also turning off his DECT phone and mobile as well

If you turn off the wireless then the RF will also turn off. I've never yet seen a router where you can disable the wifi and it still transmits..
Old 30-12-2011, 00:48   #8
Roger D
Inactive

>Is he also turning off his DECT phone and mobile as well
Yes - at least he did away with his DECT phone and doesn't let the kids use mobiles. Who knows - time might prove him right, I've no idea.
>If you turn off the wireless then the RF will also turn off.
That's what I'm hoping but it doesn't say that in the manual.
Old 30-12-2011, 10:23   #9
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger D View Post
...That's what I'm hoping but it doesn't say that in the manual.
You could make a Faraday cage and stick your router in that:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8796313_make-faraday-cage.html
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 10:37   #10
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

he could make little faraday cages for his kids heads :P
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 10:43   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Like this?

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Poor kids though, never being able to play a Nintendo Wii (bluetooth controllers), All family holidays have to be within 20 miles of the house (so they don't go underneath a power line due to radiated power or go in an aeroplane due to increased cosmic radiation)

Does he also tutor them at home due to other kids in the class having mobiles that are irradiating them???

Sorry but some parents seem to think that bubble wrap will help but will probably realise that they're harming their children more than helping
Old 31-12-2011, 21:45   #12
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Mains power radiates at 50Hz, light bulbs radiate in the EM spectrum, remember also that though he may have disabled wifi / bluetooth / DECT his neighbours probably haven't, then there's other sources of RF emissions etc etc...
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11   #13
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Seems stupid, here's the thing.. Even if these RF transmissions are cancer causing.. Turning off the wireless on a router is not going to make the problem go away.

1) neighbours wireless
2) mobile phone mast transmissions
3) television and radio transmissions
4) hospital machinery such as X-ray, MRI, CAT scanners and like.. Because here's the irony, hospitals say don't use mobile phones because they interfere with computer equipment.. But an X-ray machine emits the radiation equivalent of 100 mobile phones.
5) microwave ovens
6) satellite transmissions? Such as gps? Sky tv? Satellite broadband? Satellite Comms? Yes they are low level strength transmissions but there's no escaping them.

So it's a fact of living in an ever evolving technological society that these transmissions exist in some form or another and it's only going to get worse, so turning off the rf on 1 wireless router relatively speaking will make 0 difference to somebody's health in terms of cancer risks from rf transmissions.

You would have to live in a house with lead lined walls lol which would then risk lead poisoning.. Or wear a faraday cage everywhere lol

As said above light bulbs and even the electrical supply emit rf radiation there really is no escaping it, also as above airplane travel also gives you a high dose, most aircraft crew need radiation checks every now and again just as somebody in a nuclear power station would as they fly at altitudes where the radiation exposure is higher.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:16   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Actually, you'd find that in most hospitals, the x-ray equipment is usually in a very well shielded room, so no irony at all..

And this is a general request:

People, the OP asked simply whether he could turn off the RF transceiver on a router. Can everyone stop sneering at him because he's dared to suggest that not doing so might be dangerous?

The OP is not a frequent visitor, so please be polite. Frankly, some of the responses in this thread have been, IMO, horrendous.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:23   #15
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
The machine itself maybe but what about the particle accelerator that drives the machine sitting around the back. As well shielded as that is it stil emits enough radiation that radiology staff need regular radiation checks

I'm not intentionally sneering just trying to say that even if you turn off the rf you will be dosed up one way or another from just walking outside

If I come
Accross that way I apologise

In regards to turning off the rf it depends on the router, but if in doubt just remove the aerials and that will limit it
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote