Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tumblr Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

nthwgaming.co.uk website 29 July 2010

Old 29-07-2010, 10:31   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
nthwgaming.co.uk website 29 July 2010

I know many of the NTHW clan also visit Cable Forum.

The nthwgaming.co.uk clan website is currently down. I am advised by our webhosting service, KillerCreation that the webserver hard disk failed late last night. At present there isn't an expected restoration time. They are working first to see what data can be recovered and transferred to replacement kit. This will also test out whether or not I have good backups It is however a "free" add on to the nthw gaming server rental package, and as such restoration of the website will take second fiddle to any demands KillerCreation have for their core business of gaming servers.

The NTHW Gaming servers should be unaffected as they run on a separate dedicated server unit hosted by KillerCreation.co.uk.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2010, 11:21   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: nthwgaming.co.uk website 29 July 2010

and here was me thinking about what you have broken MGP
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 11:33   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

<----- Killer of servers
Old 29-07-2010, 11:35   #4
zing_deleted

One hard drive failed they are trying to recover data? wheres the back up? whats with the lack of any mirror or raid set up? even with it being free how many sites are going to be down? hard drives are cheap its gonna cost them more in man hours than it would to just swap the disk and set up a new mirror
Old 29-07-2010, 11:36   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Even cheaper when you don't have to buy a spare... Most cheap/free site space is done on a basis of no backup/raid system.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 11:38   #6
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Even cheaper when you don't have to buy a spare... Most cheap/free site space is done on a basis of no backup/raid system.
don't you think thats nuts? wholesale TB hdd is gonna cost what 50 quid. How much is it gonna cost to have a tech on it for a few hours to set it all back up again
Old 29-07-2010, 11:39   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I can only advise what I have been told which is a one sentence statement. HDD failure could easily mean a RAID array card failure or whatever, and if your RAID card fails then the redundancy goes to pot.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:45   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, it is nuts (especially as they're buying in bulk direct from the manufacturer) and a TB will cost about half of that but every penny counts..
Old 29-07-2010, 12:07   #9
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I can only advise what I have been told which is a one sentence statement. HDD failure could easily mean a RAID array card failure or whatever, and if your RAID card fails then the redundancy goes to pot.

I was only commenting on the situation not on what you posted as the site means nothing to me anyway
Old 29-07-2010, 17:59   #10
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
<----- Killer of servers

and himself and whirly flying things
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 19:39   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I was only commenting on the situation not on what you posted as the site means nothing to me anyway
But i am glad he posted it as it does mean something to me

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 19:45   #12
zing_deleted

It would mean something to me if someone didnt try to run it like this place

anyway as I said I only commented on the situation and how much easier it would be if there were back ups which is correct
Old 29-07-2010, 20:13   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I'm advised that the site is back up and running on a new IP. Just got to wait for the DNS to propogate .....
Old 29-07-2010, 20:15   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Already working here (VM dns)
Old 29-07-2010, 20:15   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Working here too, not that i've ever visited before now.