Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Smart Meter Con

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The Smart Meter Con

Old 06-07-2021, 10:30   #1
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
The Smart Meter Con

I'm becoming increasingly furious at the Smart Meter con.

Apart from the hyped & weasel worded consumer savings, the TV adverts don't tell you that Smart Meters place you at the off-switch mercy of the private sector suppliers and worse still allows them to charge variable prices according to time of day and their dividend expectations.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...art-meter-con/

Quote:
However, the report claimed most of the eventual savings would be made by energy firms, rather than consumers.

"The roll-out is consequently at serious risk of becoming yet another large scale public infrastructure project delivered well over time and budget, and which fails to provide energy customers with a meaningful return on their investment," said Mr Shapps.

Attached Images
File Type: png SM Con.png (219.8 KB, 9 views)

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2021, 10:32   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Apart from the hyped & weasel worded consumer savings, the TV adverts don't tell you that Smart Meters place you at the off-switch mercy of the private sector suppliers and worse still allows them to charge variable prices according to time of day and their dividend expectations.

Too true
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:34   #3
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

We keep getting badgered to have them installed by whoever it is, funnily enough though, they can't do installations on a weekend?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:36   #4
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Capitalists squeezing the consumer, well I never!
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:53   #5
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Capitalists squeezing the consumer, well I never!
I created this thread to provide a platform for you!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:59   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Hello, we'd like to fit a smart meter for your electricity supply.

I see, would that be so you can save money by making your meter readers redundant, and then calculate my bills using the data sent from a plastic box - that may decide to malfunction and send wrong data?

No, it's so you know that when you boil the kettle you will use more electricity.

Great, sign me up.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:08   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

What I have said all along

Someone eventually will come along and say it is the government that are forcing them to do it and some are getting massive fines for not reaching targets. Then I will say the same as I said last time, it is all smoke and mirrors
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:08   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Whenever this subject comes up, I have to tell people this insidious fact:

We are charged for electricity by the kilowatt-hour (kwh).

But a thing called Power Factor (PF) means that some devices cause a phase shift along the power lines, so the power companies have to add extra power to compensate.

That costs the power companies money.

So they all want to charge us another way, kilovolt-amperes (kVa) which gives the true value of power we use.

Smart meters can read kVa, so at some time in the future our bills will suddenly rise when they switch to that measurement method.

Just as electric heating, electric car charging, et al, become the norm.....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:41   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If they do start charging for KVA then I'll need to get PF correction capacitors for my two freezers and the fridge. Their PF is only around 0.6 according to my own energy monitor.
Old 06-07-2021, 18:29   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If they do start charging for KVA then I'll need to get PF correction capacitors for my two freezers and the fridge. Their PF is only around 0.6 according to my own energy monitor.
I think there will be a big push for industry to fit PF capacitors sometime soon. They are already mandatory for PC power supplies.

LED lighting is another thing that is going to cause headaches, as many have poor PF and they don't have to mention that on their packaging.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:29   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
[COLOR="Blue"]I'm becoming increasingly furious at the Smart Meter con.
Ya and you should be furious Mate!!!

This give them TOTAL CONTROL and your bills will be higher!!!

And it can affect your health being surrounded by all that RF and not being able to get away from it!!!!

THESE METERS ARE SPYING GARBAGE!!!!!!!! -- If you can,opt out!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:31   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Spying, not really but helping get meter readings without a guy coming to read them.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:22   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its amazing how easy it is to read your own meter, I do it every month

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:30   #14
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Yes its easy,you dont need a smart meter thats not good for us!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:50   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Spying, not really but helping get meter readings without a guy coming to read them.
I don't think they exist anylonger, mine haven't been read for years.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote