Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Could this be owned by Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Cabinet identification

Old 27-06-2012, 12:26   #1
jimac
cf.member

jimac is an unknown quantity at this point
Cabinet identification

Hi all!

This may not necessarily be a VM question, but I am not sure who and where else to ask!

Please bear with me, I know there are some similar threads on here, which I have read through.

I have recently moved home and within my property (side) boundry there is a small grey cabinet which I would like to have removed. Just like everybody else, I want to remove my wall and erect a fence at the edge of my property to increase the useable area of my rear garden. There is already a precedence in the street for doing this and I will go through the proper process of planning application etc.

When in the process of purchasing the property, the owner and estate agent both stated it was a box for cable television/internet.

I have had VM Broadband installed, the engineers said at the time they didn't think it was a VM box, but probably was an old analogue cable box.

I have spent some time googling about and don't know who to speak to regarding removal or relocation of the box (via notice of rescinding the wayleave - if there even is one - or otherwise) before going through planning etc.

Can any of you shed any light on what it is, or point me in the right direction of who to speak to please?

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers!

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mygreybox.JPG (150.0 KB, 280 views)
jimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2012, 12:36   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Cabinet identification

In all likelihood the removal of that box will cost somebody money and if it isn't causing a problem, health hazard, an opportunity for 'compensation' then I'd say there's a good chance that whoever owns it is unlikely to want to remove it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:47   #3
jimac
cf.member

Thanks Russ,

Yes, I appreciate that whoever it belongs to, will probably not want to move/remove it.

More than anything, the two things I want to identify are:-
1. what it actualy is
2. who 'owns' it

If it is a defunct analogue box, I may be willing to foot some of the cost of removal myself, as I understand that moving/removing would be a cost to the 'owner' who have nothing to gain by doing so.

Can anyone shed any light on what it is likely to be please?

thanks!

J
Old 27-06-2012, 12:54   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If it's on your property I'd open it and see.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 17:18   #5
bossian
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HDx3 Virgin 120/12 Plusnet upto 8Mb...soon to be FTTC
bossian is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen them boxes used for street lighting connections and early cable system....spesh in new towns like mk and telford, best answer would be to open it and see....

Ususaly if its power it should be marked with voltage stickers....but thats not always the case

If you open it take a pic, we'll then let you know
bossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 17:35   #6
georgepomone
Inactive

Services: Tivo. VIP 120 Pack.
georgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to all

I couldn't say for sure but the box looks like a control box for mains equipment.Could be street lighting or even a drainage pump in the vicinity of the box. The land it is on looks like street owned property reserved for the box. There is a lamp standard in front of the box on the pavement.If thats the case you won't be able to get it moved.I say this because it is outside of your boundary wall. Of course I can be totally wrong.
georgepomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:23   #7
jimac
cf.member

OK.... so, I am getting a little forther with this! I will put a new photo up soon.

It is definately on my land, that is not in question.

It appears originally to have been operated by Phillips Television (about 25 years ago - small section in my deed of covenants), who are denying any knowledge of it.

Oddly, the cover is actually open (I was going to open it myself, but there is no need!)and the stuff in there looks quite new. Nearly all markings have been crossed out and there is a "redundant cabinet" sticket in there, what looks like a small 12v power supply and a few bits of coax - it is largely empty. Photo coming up soon.

Thanks for your advice so far!
Old 04-09-2012, 18:03   #8
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

We have very similar cabinets in this area, a legacy of Andover CableVision they were taken over by NTL and are currently still very much in use by VM. There is one opposite my house that provides the connection for my VM BB!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:18   #9
jimac
cf.member

Hi Dave,

That is what I had originally thought.
In this case, VM have said it isn't thiers (both the engineers that came to site and thier area manager, plus a VM staff member who is on this forum who kindly checked and confirmed where the VM cabinets in my street are - and they are the green ones further along the street as I suspected).

Next step I guess it to check to see if there is any voltage/unplug it and knock on my neighbours doors to see if anything is affected.
Old 04-09-2012, 21:15   #10
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimac View Post
Hi Dave,

That is what I had originally thought.
In this case, VM have said it isn't thiers (both the engineers that came to site and thier area manager, plus a VM staff member who is on this forum who kindly checked and confirmed where the VM cabinets in my street are - and they are the green ones further along the street as I suspected).

Next step I guess it to check to see if there is any voltage/unplug it and knock on my neighbours doors to see if anything is affected.
This may have provided an analogue service, instead of Ariels on roofs it was provided by a cable TV system, just the basic channel 1-5, this may not be in use now but whether have a right to remove the cabinet or disconnect the cables is another question. I know of similar disputes where VM cabinets have been sited on a persons boundary of there house but the homeowner was not aware until he recieved his deeds 12yrs later! and is now wanting the cabinet moved off his land, unfortunately after 12yrs it's not as simple as that

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
OK.... so, I am getting a little forther with this! I will put a new photo up soon.

It is definately on my land, that is not in question.

It appears originally to have been operated by Phillips Television (about 25 years ago - small section in my deed of covenants), who are denying any knowledge of it.

Oddly, the cover is actually open (I was going to open it myself, but there is no need!)and the stuff in there looks quite new. Nearly all markings have been crossed out and there is a "redundant cabinet" sticket in there, what looks like a small 12v power supply and a few bits of coax - it is largely empty. Photo coming up soon.

Thanks for your advice so far!
If there is a 12v PSU in the cab then there will be 240vac feeding it as well, so this will prove to be a costly move as the local DNO will charge anything between £300-600 to removed power

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:
Hi all!

This may not necessarily be a VM question, but I am not sure who and where else to ask!

Please bear with me, I know there are some similar threads on here, which I have read through.

I have recently moved home and within my property (side) boundry there is a small grey cabinet which I would like to have removed. Just like everybody else, I want to remove my wall and erect a fence at the edge of my property to increase the useable area of my rear garden. There is already a precedence in the street for doing this and I will go through the proper process of planning application etc.

When in the process of purchasing the property, the owner and estate agent both stated it was a box for cable television/internet.

I have had VM Broadband installed, the engineers said at the time they didn't think it was a VM box, but probably was an old analogue cable box.

I have spent some time googling about and don't know who to speak to regarding removal or relocation of the box (via notice of rescinding the wayleave - if there even is one - or otherwise) before going through planning etc.

Can any of you shed any light on what it is, or point me in the right direction of who to speak to please?

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers!

Jim
That looks like an old BT system with the metal plate on the wall of the house????

Where abouts in the country are you?
Old 22-12-2012, 19:12   #11
sugarflux
Inactive

sugarflux is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I realise this is a very old post but i have exactly the same issue as the op.. A grey box which is on my property and I'm wanting to pull up the paving slabs around it and make a driveway but the box is in my way. I'd be really interested in the outcome of this if you are still around, Jim? or anyone else have any more information?

There is actually a faded sticker on the front of this one saying in case of emergency contact uk power networks so i may have to start there..

~S~
sugarflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 22:32   #12
H0ND0
Inactive

Services: 100meg cable Phone Restir Free TV
H0ND0 will become famous soon enoughH0ND0 will become famous soon enoughH0ND0 will become famous soon enough

Whoever owns it don't let them fob you off.

I bought an house that previously used to be a Post Office on the front ofr which stood a Bt telephone box, OMG was this a real pita at night.

I contacted the the gent who was the prior owner who informed me that BT previously had paid him £5 pa rent on for the phone box.

Armed with this info I contacted BT & told them I wanted removed pronto they said no we've already paid the land owner the contracted premium on this land, I informed them I was now the owner & was going to stop access to the box & I was more than willing to give them their £5 quid back, it was gone within the week.
H0ND0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 00:02   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarflux View Post
Hi

I realise this is a very old post but i have exactly the same issue as the op.. A grey box which is on my property and I'm wanting to pull up the paving slabs around it and make a driveway but the box is in my way. I'd be really interested in the outcome of this if you are still around, Jim? or anyone else have any more information?

There is actually a faded sticker on the front of this one saying in case of emergency contact uk power networks so i may have to start there..

~S~
Virgin boxes don't normally have any external markings, so I think from what you have said the box may be to do with street lighting, or it may be a link box between electrical sections in the area (these are usually underground, but can also be installed surface).
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:41   #14
sugarflux
Inactive

sugarflux is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I haven't actually got any further with this yet - I've emailed UK Power Networks and Virgin Media (as there is one of the new fibre optics green VM cabinets right next to this one and I wondered if this may be providing power to the VM cab) but no response yet. I have, however, taken a photo now so if anyone can shed any further light or make any suggestions please do!

Cheers

~S~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0199.jpg (862.3 KB, 113 views)
sugarflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 18:10   #15
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

When you say green VM fibre cabinet.... they don't usually use green cabinets. Are you sure the new green cabinet isn't an Openreach one?

If so, the grey box won't be anything to do with it as the power supply is internal on those.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote