Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2019 boxoffice stats

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

2019 boxoffice stats

Old 18-07-2019, 17:31   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
2019 boxoffice stats

As we are just past the half way point of the year I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the highest grossing films so far for this year. You have got to laugh that the current top 5 all fall under the Disney umbrella and they have still got Lion King, Frozen 2 and Star Wars to come which will all gross over $1bn. A couple of films will make you cringe. Up and till recently Wandering Earth was in the top 3 and you just want to bang you head against the wall and ask why oh why There are some films that haven't done so well such as Dark Phoenix and MIB and despite their modest box office revenue they had very high production budgets making them a bit of a flop. In contrast, films such as John Wick have done very well because although they haven't been massive, they had surprisingly low production budgets making them very profitable.

All in all I think we have had a good year so far but I think it is more about the big hitters. Last year I felt there were consistently high quality films evenly distributed throughout the year. The only films I have been really excited about this year were Captain Marvel, Endgame and the Lion King. We have still got a few good ones to look forward to like Charlies Angels, Angel has Fallen and Terminator but that is it really. (and yes, I have deliberately left Star Wars out because I have absolutely zero excitement for it).

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2019, 18:53   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Half-year boxoffice stats

Out of the top 10, the only ones I didnt watch are 3, 6 & 7.

Of the rest - I also watched 13, 16 & 18 - so overall, 50% of them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 22:23   #3
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The box office generally has been down unfortunately. Even Disney can't save it at the moment. Hopefully Star Wars will give a bit hit but overall films just struggle these days as fewer people go to the cinema.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 18:39   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Out of the top 10, the only ones I didnt watch are 3, 6 & 7.

Of the rest - I also watched 13, 16 & 18 - so overall, 50% of them.
I haven't seen 7 and 8 and out of the top 20 I haven't seen nine of the films so I am around the 50% mark as well.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Two bits of good news ish. The first is that Spiderman has tipped $1bn. The second bit of good news is that if I did this last week which I had planned to do and forgot, the top three films of the year would have been Endgame, Captain Marvel and Spiderman which would have been a nice picture while it lasted. Lion King is doing very well though and has messed things up this week Disney clearly rule the world and we have still got Frozen 2 and Star Wars to come. The end of year chart is going to look very interesting.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:49   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: 2019 boxoffice stats

Of the 20 in the first post I've not seen 6, 7, 13, 14 and 15. The joys of my unlimited card. I tend to go see most films as I can and don't end up wasting money on terrible movies. As the more I see the better value my card is. lol.

Got a feeling Hobbs & Shaw will end up in the top ten rather easily.
Old 26-10-2019, 10:37   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Joker has over taken Deadpool to become the highest grossing R Rated movie ever

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62664926...ref_=hm_nw_tp1

I know the year isn't over yet and we have still got some big hitter like Frozen 2 and Star Wars to come out but this is how things are looking at the moment. I think we can confidently say that Disney is going to rule the Top 10 by the end of the year

Last edited by General Maximus; 26-10-2019 at 10:55.
Old 26-10-2019, 11:05   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Joker is going to smash the R rating record since it shows no signs of declining much. I hope this encourages DC/Warner to take this approach to their Superhero movies. Marvel does the epic, big-budget, big-income, cinematic universe stuff and DC does the darker, one-off, lower budget films. Like what we saw with Logan. The Batman universe lends itself to that approach very well IMO.

Star Wars won't take over the top few spots I don't think as it opens so late in the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 10 based on the opening weekend alone which, going by the pre-orders, looks to be massive.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 11:19   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Frozen will take the No. 2 or 3 spot meaning Disney will have the top 7 and I am sure Star Wars will hit $1bn the end of the year to take No. 8.
Old 12-11-2019, 20:45   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

I thought it would be a good idea to take another quick look before Frozen comes along and blows everything out of the way. Joker is doing extremely well and has over taken Hobbs & Shaw for the No. 7 spot and will probably pass $1bn this week. I doubt it is going to surpass Aladdin. I did the top 10 (instead of 8) for a laugh because I think it proves a good point about the power of the Chinese box office which most of us probably don't think about at all over here.

Old 13-11-2019, 09:53   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to take another quick look before Frozen comes along and blows everything out of the way. Joker is doing extremely well and has over taken Hobbs & Shaw for the No. 7 spot and will probably pass $1bn this week. I doubt it is going to surpass Aladdin. I did the top 10 (instead of 8) for a laugh because I think it proves a good point about the power of the Chinese box office which most of us probably don't think about at all over here.

l think the studio's never imagined the take for the Joker would ever reach these levels as l think they would have been over the moon with half that take.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:26   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

yeah, I think it only cost something like $50m to make. They didn't want to put too much money into it because they were unsure how well it would do and it has ended up making them a fortune. I hope Joaquin Phoenix gets a percentage of the profits.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:36   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

I think Frozen has got enough steam left in it over the xmas period to do another $150m and take the No. 5 spot from Toy Story.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:26   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I know these figures aren’t inflation adjusted so don’t really give you the measure of “all time” success, but considering how low inflation has been over the last decade or more, the presence of all those very recent films in the top 10 does suggest we’re in the middle of a golden age, which is bizarre because every single one of them is a sequel or a re-make or an expansion of an established universe (possibly excepting the last one, which I know nothing about).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 16:26   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Hare is a list of the top 50 highest grossing blockbusters of all time in 2018 adjusted for inflation which do suggest we are in a golden age.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026442468/