Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Local TV

Old 15-09-2021, 21:24   #106
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Local TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I know I'm reviving an old topic but given that locality is very much part of cable television, it surprises me that the local channels are generally not available on Virgin Media. Manchester now has two local services - That's TV and also a second local channel called Manchester TV. Surely the local channels should be available on Virgin Media?
To be fair that's not been the case since the original franchises were all taken over.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2021, 22:03   #107
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I still can't believe that BBC 1 HD doesn't have local news, just a stupid hold screen.

I mean FFS this is the 21st century
Old 15-09-2021, 22:11   #108
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I still can't believe that BBC 1 HD doesn't have local news, just a stupid hold screen.

Your suprise me still no local news on BBC 1hd seems to have been on BBC 1 Wales hd for ever . Can't believe Wales are ahead of England
Old 15-09-2021, 23:33   #109
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

The Nations have it (and have done for ages), just not the English Regions.

The BBC said earlier this year the BBC1 English Regions will be HD by the end of 2022.

The potentially better news is that just the other day the BBC's own TV schedule page suggested the English HD Regions will start on 21st October THIS year.

The chances are that the rough later time period in 2022 is for Freeview, where it's more complicated to implement, the imminent October date is plausible for other platforms.

When ITV made most of its regions HD recently on Satellite/Cable it came about rather quickly once they got going, so it's entirely possible the new BBC-Sky deal announced yesterday (or was it the day before? I forget) included satellite carriage on Sky's transponders to necessitate launching the English HD regions. This is likely what ITV did in their recent Sky deal to manage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Your suprise me still no local news on BBC 1hd seems to have been on BBC 1 Wales hd for ever . Can't believe Wales are ahead of England
It feels like aeons for the Scottish version.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 11:33   #110
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The Nations have it (and have done for ages), just not the English Regions.

The BBC said earlier this year the BBC1 English Regions will be HD by the end of 2022.

The potentially better news is that just the other day the BBC's own TV schedule page suggested the English HD Regions will start on 21st October THIS year.

The chances are that the rough later time period in 2022 is for Freeview, where it's more complicated to implement, the imminent October date is plausible for other platforms.

When ITV made most of its regions HD recently on Satellite/Cable it came about rather quickly once they got going, so it's entirely possible the new BBC-Sky deal announced yesterday (or was it the day before? I forget) included satellite carriage on Sky's transponders to necessitate launching the English HD regions. This is likely what ITV did in their recent Sky deal to manage it.

It feels like aeons for the Scottish version.
As you says RXTV says BBC One English HD regions HD may launch as early as October 21th.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/bbc-one-hd...art-imminently

Rumours says that BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD may launch on BBC iPlayer (and due to BBC new Sky deal they may launch on Virgin Media and Sky).
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 20:38   #111
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Yes.

I think it was called Edinburgh Festival and was on Telewest Channel 400.

We also has an local channel of L!VE TV called Edinburgh L!VE TV I think it was on Channel 18 before Telewest want March/April 1999.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Oh the good times.

STV Local was later known as STV2 then 9 months later sold to the owners of That's TV.

Virgin Media drop STV2 on the day STV hand STV2 slots over to That's TV.

Now we have only got 50mins of local news every week the rest is the same as That's local in England.
And some parts of the UK had a local rolling news channel on cable during the mid 1990s called Channel One plus The Weather Channel/Weather Network carried local forecasts.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 20:44   #112
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And some parts of the UK had a local rolling news channel on cable during the mid 1990s called Channel One.
Seen that listing in my free copy of the months listings but in my area we got 16 screens broadcasting channels with sound coming from Clyde 1. With information also appearing when something was set to come in my area.

We also got local ads for things like motors when channels did not broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZ6j131p_Y

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 16-09-2021 at 20:56.
Old 18-09-2021, 19:06   #113
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

What were those 16 channels?
Old 18-09-2021, 23:37   #114
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

The 16 channels was showing live streams of 16 channels that was on Telewest at the time.

They has Sky One on it with "21" on that screen. And Sky Movies Plus on it with "45" on that screen. All 16 channels has to be broadcasting 24/7.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Something like the start of the following YouTube video but 4 channels added in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyThnH2jZlY
Old 24-09-2021, 20:37   #115
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Right, so it was 16 streams and I guess on some, more than one channel shared a single 'stream' eg TCC and The Family 16 streams but maybe more than 16 channels being available.

The channels sharing a stream in the mid-1990s included TCC sharing with The Family Channel, Cartoon Network sharing with TNT and Nickelodeon sharing with Paramount.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

And going back to local TV on analogue cable in the mid-1990s. In my area the local channel initially consisted of nothing more than a text and graphics service.

Later on, during the Cable & Wireless period, a weekly 30-minute local features show was launched which was broadcast on a loop, sharing time with a programme about cable television and possibly a couple of other programmes as well. I think the local programme was shown every two hours throughout the seven day period.

The only other local 'content' was on The Weather Network whereby the local forecast for the franchise area was displayed as text information on the bottom of the screen.
Old 25-09-2021, 17:16   #116
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Talking about sharing

This was an good one

Monday to Thursday:
7am Sky Soap
11am Sky Travel
4pm History Channel
7pm SciFi
10pm Sky Sports Gold
1am SciFi?
4am Christian Channel Europe

Friday:
7am Sky Soap
11am Sky Travel
4pm History Channel
7pm Sky Sports 2
1am SciFi?

Weekends:
7am Sky Sports 2
1am SciFi?

?I think SciFi was on at 1am.
Old 25-09-2021, 20:13   #117
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Talking about sharing

This was an good one

Monday to Thursday:
7am Sky Soap
11am Sky Travel
4pm History Channel
7pm SciFi
10pm Sky Sports Gold
1am SciFi?

Friday:
7am Sky Soap
11am Sky Travel
4pm History Channel
7pm Sky Sports 2
1am SciFi?

Weekends:
7am Sky Sports 2
1am SciFi?

?I think SciFi was on at 1am.
You are correct the Sci-fi Channel broadcast on analogue satellite as part of the Sky package each night between 1am and 4am.

On cable, the channel broadcast its full hours which were 8am to 4am.
Old 30-09-2021, 22:12   #118
Rillington
cf.mega poster

There was also some sharing on cable, coming directly from the satellite feed. I recall

6am CNBC
12noon Trouble
8pm to 6am Bravo

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Back to the original topic, and i think it's such a shame that this local ability that cable offers isn't being used for local programming these days. If it was seemed to be possible in the late 1990s then why not do it now?
Old 01-10-2021, 17:24   #119
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
There was also some sharing on cable, coming directly from the satellite feed. I recall

6am CNBC
12noon Trouble
8pm to 6am Bravo

Back to the original topic, and i think it's such a shame that this local ability that cable offers isn't being used for local programming these days. If it was seemed to be possible in the late 1990s then why not do it now?
Probably because it wasn't commercially viable?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 21:53   #120
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

6am CNBC
12noon Trouble
8pm to 6am Bravo

It is possible to do it like that now, but to be honest, it was mind-boggling boring. The presenters droned on and had no media skills and I would be surprised if many watched it.

The only way you can make local TV work is to have national programming with regular scheduled spots for the local stuff, supported by advertising. Unless the content is of interest and the channel is run professionally, no-one will watch it.

Trying to operate these channels in isolation from one another just doesn’t work, I’m afraid.