Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cabinet identification

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cabinet identification

Old 18-03-2013, 16:58   #31
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: Cabinet identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarflux View Post
Cool. So it looks like I need to have two seperate cabinets moved! One from UKPN and one from BTOR.

I've contacted both anyway so I'll let you guys know what happens!

~S~
Yes but you have no chance of getting the one from Openreach moved. I'm very confident of that shall we say.

It has probably been live for a while so will have many customers connected to it (the cabinet supports up to 168 customers). It has an underground fibre link to it and an underground 240v power link to it plus copper cables going to a nearby standard BT copper cabinet.

Massive job to move it which would also mean downtime for all of those customers. They'd probably flat out refuse to move it even if you paid the thousands of pounds it would cost. The reason I think they'd refuse even if you paid would be because of disruption to the customers.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2013, 17:08   #32
sugarflux
Inactive

sugarflux is an unknown quantity at this point

It has only been there a matter of months (around 4-5 i think). It's a pain that they've installed it there in the first place without any permission, planning or even just a polite knock at the door to let anyone know! As far as I'm concerned it's their fault for not checking first that it's an appropriate place to site it, as if they had put it just 8 foot or so up the same wall it wouldn't be a problem, rather than right outside the front door!

I will just have to see how it goes. If not there may have to be an unfortunate accident involving a car with a re-inforced bumper. I'm sure if that happened a few times they might eventually get the message that it's not the ideal location.

~S~
sugarflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 17:49   #33
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
It has only been there a matter of months (around 4-5 i think). It's a pain that they've installed it there in the first place without any permission, planning or even just a polite knock at the door to let anyone know! As far as I'm concerned it's their fault for not checking first that it's an appropriate place to site it, as if they had put it just 8 foot or so up the same wall it wouldn't be a problem, rather than right outside the front door!

I will just have to see how it goes. If not there may have to be an unfortunate accident involving a car with a re-inforced bumper. I'm sure if that happened a few times they might eventually get the message that it's not the ideal location.

~S~
They only need planning permission on conservation areas.

So therefore they don't really have to let anyone know. It is where it is due to the existing BT ducts in the ground. It has to be near to the duct that the fibre core runs down and within 50 metres of the copper cabinet.

There's probably nowhere more suitable it could have gone.

If it is hit by a car an emergency temporary fibre cabinet on a trailer will be brought in and a new cabinet will be back there within days.
Old 19-03-2013, 22:35   #34
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Yes but you have no chance of getting the one from Openreach moved. I'm very confident of that shall we say.

It has probably been live for a while so will have many customers connected to it (the cabinet supports up to 168 customers). It has an underground fibre link to it and an underground 240v power link to it plus copper cables going to a nearby standard BT copper cabinet.

Massive job to move it which would also mean downtime for all of those customers. They'd probably flat out refuse to move it even if you paid the thousands of pounds it would cost. The reason I think they'd refuse even if you paid would be because of disruption to the customers.
Nah, it'll "only" cost something like £10,000 to move.

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
If it is hit by a car an emergency temporary fibre cabinet on a trailer will be brought in and a new cabinet will be back there within days.
They may have to rethink that one if it gets repeatedly hit by a car until they run out of cabinets...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:01   #35
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

i sometimes arrange for cabinets to be re sited [vm cabs]

the cost to the person wanting the move is any where from £6,ooo-£120,ooo depending on the type of cabinet and amount of re-ducting/cabling reqd ,i have to say that the estimate usually puts people off as they think its all done free of charge .
Old 20-03-2013, 08:17   #36
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i sometimes arrange for cabinets to be re sited [vm cabs]

the cost to the person wanting the move is any where from £6,ooo-£120,ooo depending on the type of cabinet and amount of re-ducting/cabling reqd ,i have to say that the estimate usually puts people off as they think its all done free of charge .
Have planned some of those type of moves and the cost of civils,cabling and out of hours work very quickly ramps up to extreme levels. Last one i did costs for was circa £78000. It never moved in the end and the builder changed the design of his drive way which was cheaper.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 18:02   #37
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Only costs Openreach on average £30k to install the cabinet in the first place (including all fibre and roadworks and the cabinet cost itself)
Old 20-03-2013, 18:29   #38
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Quote:
Cool. So it looks like I need to have two seperate cabinets moved! One from UKPN and one from BTOR.

I've contacted both anyway so I'll let you guys know what happens!

~S~
You won't get that moved but you could of opposed the planning application BT put in before they ever installed it there.

Because if I can remember they need planning consent to do that.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 20:22   #39
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
You won't get that moved but you could of opposed the planning application BT put in before they ever installed it there.

Because if I can remember they need planning consent to do that.
Planning permission is only needed in conservation areas.
Old 23-03-2013, 10:51   #40
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Only costs Openreach on average £30k to install the cabinet in the first place (including all fibre and roadworks and the cabinet cost itself)
Which is a bit more than the £10,000 you first suggested.

So to install a new cab ( and if it's VM you'd be building a new chamber too) is circa £30,000

Depending on where you're moving it to you need to re- cable it all.

Discoonect and reconnect

Then remove and make good the existing cab.

I could quite easily see that £30,000 double.
Old 23-03-2013, 11:59   #41
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

So to install a new cab ( and if it's VM you'd be building a new chamber too) is circa £30,000

Depending on where you're moving it to you need to re- cable it all.

Discoonect and reconnect

Then remove and make good the existing cab.

I could quite easily see that £30,000 double.
Not to mention that by relocating a VM cabinet, some of the swept tee's will possibly face the wrong direction. These will all need excavating & correcting prior to any cables being repulled.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 00:44   #42
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Yes because to move a cab 10 metres does not cost the same as buying a new cab, and cabling up 5 miles of fibre from the exchange.

To start off you'd save 20K on the equipment inside the cab, because you've already bought it.

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Not to mention that by relocating a VM cabinet, some of the swept tee's will possibly face the wrong direction. These will all need excavating & correcting prior to any cables being repulled.
I think we've already determined it's not a VM cabinet.
Old 31-03-2013, 15:09   #43
Mr.Lemming
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 20mb BB, V+
Mr.Lemming will become famous soon enoughMr.Lemming will become famous soon enoughMr.Lemming will become famous soon enough

With Fibers however you cant just extend as such, it might mean running a new fibe right back from BT's exchange which could be miles off (on the presumption it works somewhat like VM). For the sake of 5 meters I can't see it being worth it.Plus if you crash a car into it i'm sure BT will be on the look out for paint marks etc, With your car sat bashed up on the drive next to it i feel you could end up with a hefty bill.
Mr.Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40   #44
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

You can extend fibres and in many cases cabinets have several bundles of fibre running past them and one branches off via a joint to the cabinet in question. This shunt can easily be replaced as well.
Old 15-04-2013, 20:26   #45
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lemming View Post
With Fibers however you cant just extend as such, it might mean running a new fibe right back from BT's exchange which could be miles off (on the presumption it works somewhat like VM). For the sake of 5 meters I can't see it being worth it.Plus if you crash a car into it i'm sure BT will be on the look out for paint marks etc, With your car sat bashed up on the drive next to it i feel you could end up with a hefty bill.
You can extend it.

And you're right it works like VM more than people realise. BT often don't connect the cabinets to the nearest exchange.

The largest exchanges they refer to as headends and that's where the cabinets are connected to, could be 5 or 10 miles away from the cabinets.