Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview changes

Old 16-08-2021, 21:46   #166
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That includes me. I record everything from the HD terrestrials through my aerial/Blu Ray recorder. It helps with the limited capacity on the Virgin boxes.
and here was me thinking you had hordes of capture cards and a massive raid array and recording all the streams you can get online. You using an aerial has totally shattered my illusions
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2021, 00:14   #167
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Does anyone still use Freeview ?

I stopped receiving any kind of TV through an aerial about 20 years ago.

I have Sky, Virgin (atm), Freesat & Internet.
Yes, I've got it setup as a backup on the main TV, the main source on several secondary TVs, and as an extra tuner for recording in other instances.
Quote:
That includes me. I record everything from the HD terrestrials through my aerial/Blu Ray recorder. It helps with the limited capacity on the Virgin boxes.
I'd love to see both your watching and recording itineraries for an average day one of these days Old Boy. I'm genuinely fascinated how it all works, and still having a full Virgin box.

And you're lucky to have a bluray recorder, they're not easy to get hold of these days, and were always expensive. HDD and DVD Recorders are hard enough to find.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 02:22   #168
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Does anyone still use Freeview ?

I stopped receiving any kind of TV through an aerial about 20 years ago.

I have Sky, Virgin (atm), Freesat & Internet.
A lot of people use it for secondary TV's. I also imagine that older people, people who don't watch much TV and the less affluent use it for their main TV too.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 08:46   #169
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
and here was me thinking you had hordes of capture cards and a massive raid array and recording all the streams you can get online. You using an aerial has totally shattered my illusions
I have the streamers, too! I'm not a one-trick pony, you know.
Old 17-08-2021, 10:19   #170
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A lot of people use it for secondary TV's. I also imagine that older people, people who don't watch much TV and the less affluent use it for their main TV too.
I use it on the TV in the kitchen since we changed over to a V6 which didn't have a SCART output to drive the modulator. The external antenna had disintegrated but a high gain loft antenna pulls in enough signal.

The main TV is tuned in and has the HD tuner but I usually use the V6 HDMI.
Old 17-08-2021, 14:48   #171
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Government confirm that the existing licences will be rolled over:

News Release
Richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 15:08   #172
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Ministers decide Freeview platform will be supported until at least 2034
Interesting note at the end of that release…

Quote:
Include a power giving Ofcom the ability to revoke licences for spectrum management reasons with the consent of the DCMS Secretary of State but require that revocation cannot take effect before the end of 2030 and that a five year notice period must apply
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 11:07   #173
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have the streamers, too! I'm not a one-trick pony, you know.
Don't tell him about your back-up VCR.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 20:44   #174
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Interesting note at the end of that release…

Quote:
Include a power giving Ofcom the ability to revoke licences for spectrum management reasons with the consent of the DCMS Secretary of State but require that revocation cannot take effect before the end of 2030 and that a five year notice period must apply
Which brings us nicely to 2035!

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't tell him about your back-up VCR.
I had about 55 VCR tapes back in the day. I was rather glad to be able to get rid of all that clutter when digital came along.
Old 21-08-2021, 20:51   #175
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
RXTV is reporting that Now 70s being UK Wide will end on August 25th.
NOW 80s will take over NOW 70's UK Wide slot from August 25th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 22:09   #176
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

NOW 80s will take over NOW 70's UK Wide slot from August 25th.
I wonder if ITV were waiting for the government decision on the Freeview multiplex licenses before following through on the old 5Select slot.
Old 22-08-2021, 00:16   #177
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Which brings us nicely to 2035!

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

I had about 55 VCR tapes back in the day. I was rather glad to be able to get rid of all that clutter when digital came along.
I thought that, but then I thought it could be read as 5 years notice could be given in 2025 to close it in 2030.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 01:00   #178
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I thought that, but then I thought it could be read as 5 years notice could be given in 2025 to close it in 2030.
It does mean the latter. They were given authorisation to extend multiplexes to 2034. If they couldn't enact the 5 years notice until 2030 then there would be no point as the license would expire in less than 5 years from then.

The licenses could be extended once again if there is a need, 2034 isn't a definite end point for DTT.

Plenty time to know if they are going down the 5G Broadcast route, keeping the status quo, or something else entirely.

Maybe it'll just be 1 multiplex of the legacy technology from 2034, it doesn't need to be all or nothing. So many possibilities.
Old 22-08-2021, 03:30   #179
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
When will the old 5Select slot be reuse on COM4 on Freeview?[COLOR="Silver"]
Pardon my ignorance, but why does that even matter?
Old 22-08-2021, 10:30   #180
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why does that even matter?
Because some people only have Freeview and would like to know if they'd get an extra channel.

Some only have DVB-T equipment, so have lost a channel after it moved and would be interested if they'd get another.

It would matter to ITV, SDN is a lucrative business for them, and there is space that isn't paying currently.

It matters to many. Illustrated by the channel losing 28% of its audience on all platforms by this one change on 1 platform.

There have been complaints along the lines of "my dad's favourite channel is 5Select and now it's not showing, why is this?" on Social Media.

Just because we don't watch doesn't mean it's not important to others, including the vulnerable.