Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 20-01-2012, 16:09   #271
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

My DIR615 has VM firmware on it.

I tried DDWRT but my wireless bridge wouldn't connect though other kit would (the bridge doesn't like the Netgear that SamKnows supplied either). So get back I plopped on the stock DLink image and then the VM image and it's all back fine. It's now used as an access point.
Old 20-01-2012, 16:14   #272
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

which VM image? whats within it
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:34   #273
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'm not at home so can't quote but it's badged in firmware as VM and the firmware ID is something like 1.00VG you can get the image here
Old 20-01-2012, 16:41   #274
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

anything decent within it or am i better off sticking with secure DD WRT. I don't trust VM when it comes to security.
Old 23-01-2012, 14:51   #275
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

If DD-WRT works then leave it. The Virgin and stock DLink are similar and DDWRT doesn't let my bridge connect. If I could use DD-WRT then I could set up router as an extender/repeater rather than as an access point and get rid of long length of CAT-5 that connects it to my Netgear router near SACM.
Old 07-03-2012, 14:20   #276
thenry
Inactive

Your probably better off with the VM firmware tweetiepooh. DD WRT 17990 (12/09/11) build isn't stable, did some strange things. I've now reverted to D Links firmware, may try the VM firmware posted. wireless stability is better.. infact all round stability is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
few issues with the new builds for the 615, be wary of what you put on!

17990 (12/09/11) seems ok stick with it for the latest

the 3 built after that have issues: (thanks to Vaako on DD-WRT)

Quote:
(12-12-11-r18000) - Works but it seems WAN to LAN is slower than previous builds
(12-14-11-r18007) - No Internet on DIR-615 D1 & D3
(12-20-11-r18024) - No Lan Ports and Semi-Bricked
ignore my advice that 17990 (12/09/11) is stable. The 3 builds after 17990 are deffo bugged though. I don't have a clue what build is stable.
Old 07-03-2012, 18:36   #277
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:35   #278
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone tried the latest update?

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...4-preSP2/2012/

03-19-12-r18777
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 17:39   #279
gillinghamjangle
Inactive

gillinghamjangle is an unknown quantity at this point

VMNG300 IS THE CABLE BOX

DLINK 615 IS THE ROUTER(?)

what are they called

can't see the point of the hub @£20 install fee if i'm ok as is

seems the hub isn't well thought of?

trev
gillinghamjangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 20:34   #280
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillinghamjangle View Post
VMNG300 IS THE CABLE BOX

DLINK 615 IS THE ROUTER(?)

what are they called

can't see the point of the hub @£20 install fee if i'm ok as is

seems the hub isn't well thought of?

trev
That is correct the VMNG300 is the modem and the D-Link DIR-615 is the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambohambo View Post
Anyone tried the latest update?

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...4-preSP2/2012/

03-19-12-r18777
I am currently running 19519 on my 615 as a repeater bridge I did however have to set it up differently as it was with previous builds. Its explained in the link below.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153372
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 21:24   #281
gillinghamjangle
Inactive

gillinghamjangle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
That is correct the VMNG300 is the modem and the D-Link DIR-615 is the router.

I am currently running 19519 on my 615 as a repeater bridge I did however have to set it up differently as it was with previous builds. Its explained in the link below.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153372
i'm a newbie and don't understand the ins n outs as described in the link

basically got 50m broadband speed

will updating software do anything for me?

whats a repeater bridge?

thanks for help; is the hub worth getting?
gillinghamjangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 21:53   #282
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillinghamjangle View Post
i'm a newbie and don't understand the ins n outs as described in the link

basically got 50m broadband speed

will updating software do anything for me?

whats a repeater bridge?

thanks for help; is the hub worth getting?
The second part of my reply was to chambohambo and the thread in general and not specific to your question.
The link is if you are wanting to run your router in a repeater bridge mode, if you dont know what repeater bridge mode is then you dont need to worry about it. As for the superhub, its ok and certainly getting better it really depends what you want out of a router.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote