Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 24-04-2024, 17:06   #2821
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s nothing Vatnik about the observation that Ukrainian conscripts are dying in massive numbers for a cause that is unachievable.

18 month old polling may say something else, as may polling that is honest about the limited support that the West will continue to commit in the future years of the conflict.

If you are committed to fighting Putin then go and enlist yourself. Otherwise you are just another armchair general playing toy soldiers while masturbating over western propaganda like the Ghost of Kyiv.

We are paying with a few billion here, and a few billion there. They are out there paying with their lives and I, for one, would feel much more comfortable if they had a choice in the matter.
More Vatnik word soup. The polling was done in Aug 2023 - that maybe 18 months ago in your alternative universe

As Damian has said, we should support the wishes of the Ukrainian people. If it clear that the majority of the population are being coerced to continue the defence of their country then, and only, then should we reassess our support.
Old 24-04-2024, 17:33   #2822
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
More Vatnik word soup. The polling was done in Aug 2023 - that maybe 18 months ago in your alternative universe

As Damian has said, we should support the wishes of the Ukrainian people. If it clear that the majority of the population are being coerced to continue the defence of their country then, and only, then should we reassess our support.
So when are you off to sign up, keyboard warrior?

Spare me your childish insults.

If 30% (by your own poll) of Ukrainians don’t want to fight then neither you, nor Zelensky, nor their neighbours inside or outside have the right to condemn them to death or injury on the front line by conscription.

When America inevitably pull the plug when it ceases to be value for money,, regardless of what Ukrainian public opinion says, rest assured I will return to say “I told you so”.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 18:50   #2823
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So when are you off to sign up, keyboard warrior?

Spare me your childish insults.

If 30% (by your own poll) of Ukrainians don’t want to fight then neither you, nor Zelensky, nor their neighbours inside or outside have the right to condemn them to death or injury on the front line by conscription.

When America inevitably pull the plug when it ceases to be value for money,, regardless of what Ukrainian public opinion says, rest assured I will return to say “I told you so”.
I have done far more for Ukraine that you have done so please spare the trolling.

Enough now ...
Old 24-04-2024, 19:42   #2824
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have done far more for Ukraine that you have done so please spare the trolling.

Enough now ...
Quite the accusation of trolling from someone it took more than 3 attempts to finally quit misrepresenting my posts.

Doing anything for Ukraine won’t cleanse the soul given your bloodlust for a permanent conflict regardless of the cost in the lives of Ukrainian conscripts.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 23:03   #2825
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

and thats enough. Enjoy your rest from this one comrade.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 09:25   #2826
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I have done far more for Ukraine that you have done .
and your best outcome is? I'm .......still...........all ears
Old 27-04-2024, 21:53   #2827
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
and your best outcome is? I'm .......still...........all ears
Still waiting. No worries though. I think I have all I need.
Old 27-04-2024, 22:41   #2828
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

What was the question?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 22:45   #2829
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I wasnt aware members were on deadlines set by Pierre, I must have missed that memo ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 08:29   #2830
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What was the question?
I'm not sure anyone knows ...
Old 28-04-2024, 21:21   #2831
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
What was the question?
It was following this statement.

Quote:
Although they are reluctant to say it outright, both John and Pierre seem to believe that appeasement is the best outcome in Ukraine.They witter on about "ritual human sacrifice" and "to the last man, no matter the cost." yet ignore the fact that it is the Ukrainians themselves who are wanting to defend their country. The West is not making them defend their homes and their families.
I was just enquiring what Ian’s best outcome was, to no avail.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone knows ...
It’s right there, for the third time of asking.

Still waiting.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I wasnt aware members were on deadlines set by Pierre, I must have missed that memo ...
No worries, no deadlines were set.
Old 28-04-2024, 22:33   #2832
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Ta

The best outcome in 2024 IMO is that Ukraine prevents significant advances by Russia. It shouldn’t have come to this but posturing in the US Congress held up military aid for months and Ukraine has been forced to ration its stockpiles. Russia now knows it has to push hard to get what it can before the new tranche of aid gets to the front. Ukraine will have a few sticky months but it will hold on.

The offensive we hoped to see in summer of 2023 will likely occur this time next year.
Old 29-04-2024, 09:34   #2833
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ta

The best outcome in 2024 IMO is that Ukraine prevents significant advances by Russia. It shouldn’t have come to this but posturing in the US Congress held up military aid for months and Ukraine has been forced to ration its stockpiles. Russia now knows it has to push hard to get what it can before the new tranche of aid gets to the front. Ukraine will have a few sticky months but it will hold on.

The offensive we hoped to see in summer of 2023 will likely occur this time next year.
I had already replied to this question i.e. we should support the wishes of the Ukrainian people in their fight against the invasion. What the result of this support will be is uncertain. This is in the hands of the West, in terms of the support they will give and in the hands of the Ukrainian people themselves if they decide that they are unable to fight Russia on their own.

As I mentioned, the will to fight still seems strong so we (the West) should give them all the help they need to resist the occupation. I feel appeasement, as history tells us, would be a mistake.

Don't forget that the reason why Pierre wants someone to guess at the "best outcome" is so he can underwrite his position that Ukraine "negotiates" a deal that would leaves Russia in control of large swathes of occupied Ukraine. His words:

Quote:
I think that Ukraine should negotiate with Russia. I ,personally, don't believe it is a war Ukraine can win. (i.e removing Russia totally from all of Ukraine)
Remember that Ukraine, on its own, has no bargaining position so Russia would essentially dictate terms. This is what, it seems, is the "desired outcome" for some here.
Old 29-04-2024, 11:22   #2834
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I tend to agree.

The absence of war is not the same thing as peace. There is highly credible evidence of rape and torture of Ukrainian soldiers and civilians in the occupied territories, as well as the kidnap and ‘re-education’ of Ukrainian children on an almost industrial scale. An armistice in which Russia retains control of any Ukrainian territory simply surrenders those people to their fate as well as giving Russia breathing room to regroup and then come back for more. Anyone who thinks this is not what would happen, 5 or 10 years from now, has not been paying attention to how Russia has been treating its near abroad for the last 20 years or more.

Regretfully, the only way Ukraine can have actual peace is to fight for it, and the only way it can do that is with Western support because Russia’s material advantages far outweighs Ukraine’s. Ukraine’s best weapon - apart from Western munitions - is that Russia’s imperial arrogance is such that it never troubled itself to develop strategy or weapons tech that could actually overcome a peer. They thought they could just roll into Kyiv and once that became untenable, they have resorted to using their surfeit of expendable men and rusty old tanks to try to win by weight of numbers. As long as Ukraine has the weapons to absorb this, eventually - even if it takes another year or more - Russia can and will be exhausted.
Old 29-04-2024, 11:48   #2835
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
The best outcome in 2024 IMO is that Ukraine prevents significant advances by Russia.
They've being doing that for 12 months, the lines haven't changed significantly for a year.

Russia, I think, for the time being is content to hold what they have taken.

Quote:
Russia now knows it has to push hard to get what it can before the new tranche of aid gets to the front.
Does it though. You don't think that Russia's economy and industry hasn't been on a war footing while there's been a pause, you don't think Russia is re-arming and re-grouping?

Quote:
We've had a year of essentially two punch drunk fighters not doing too much, the odd swing from a missile or drone. They've punched each other out. So what do you think two rested and re-armed fighters are going to do, probably just beat each other to a pulp again.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Don't forget that the reason why Pierre wants someone to guess at the "best outcome" is so he can underwrite his position that Ukraine "negotiates" a deal that would leaves Russia in control of large swathes of occupied Ukraine.
That's because, I believe, that Ukraine will struggle to achieve their objectives of pushing Russia back to pre-2014 boundaries.

So the difference between my best outcome and yours is not different in regards to Russia, in say 2-3 years time, still controlling large swathes of occupied Ukraine.

I believe the only difference between both our scenarios is less people die in mine.