Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old Today, 10:51   #886
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You misunderstand my understanding, ol’ chap.

If we are talking about sport, I have acknowledged already that access to these events is too costly, but it’s not exactly cheap on Sky either. However, I think prices will come down as the markets consolidate.

As far as general entertainment goes, it has become much cheaper than to subscribe to Sky’s multi- channel packages and the choice is much greater, particularly when you factor in the ability to change streamers as often as every month.

The streamers are now talking to each other about consolidating or bundling different streamers to provide better choices at less cost for the consumer. The same will happen in the sports arena over time, probably sooner rather than later.

Nonsense, jfman. The Beeb is already well on the way in their planning for the replacement of their TV channels within a decade in favour of a streamer for example, and it is most likely that our existing broadcast system will be turned off in 2035. You’re just ignoring the facts to prolong your wet dream that the channels are here to stay forever. I’m afraid you are going to have to content yourself with a miriad of inferior FAST channels to feast on in the future.

That depends how they bundle it. As you know, bundling channels means more choice for less expenditure, which is how the multi-channel system on Sky works. Unfortunately, this system is falling apart due to the fact that so many programmes are going straight to the streamers, leaving the channels floundering to put anything decent on.

The streamer bundles will have plenty of choice with decent material. I dare say there will be the option to take just one streamer, or alternatively, the whole caboosh for a lower price than subscribing individually. We will have to see how that pans out.

Hopefully, there will also be subscriptions with ads options for those who cannot fork out too much on this or who simply don’t want to.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

So? New legislation would fix that, but I have already said that it could still be made to work with the government paying content providers for showing the content they want people to have. This could be done programme by programme or a binding commitment between the provider and the government to show a given percentage of programmes of a given kind.
Do you have a link to that, please? The latest statement of direction (September 2023) I can find from the BBC (and ITV and Paramount) seems to contradict that, by stating they would, as part of the change of delivery method, still supply the existing channels over streaming…

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023...-streaming-age

Quote:
Set for launch in 2024, the new service, called Freely, will be built-in to the next generation of smart TVs and feature a line-up of public service broadcaster content and other free-to-air channels. It will replicate the terrestrial TV experience, building on the heritage and popularity of the Freeview TV platform, currently used in 16m homes.
Quote:
Dame Carolyn McCall, CEO, ITV, says: "As more and more UK households use internet-connected TVs, it's critical that the public service broadcaster channels remain available and easy for them to find. This new collaboration enables the UK public to continue to get all of their favourite British TV channels, for free - just as Freeview did at the advent of digital TV. Alongside the important reforms set out in the draft Media Bill it will help PSBs to continue to thrive for years to come."
Quote:
Maria Kyriacou, President of Broadcast & Studios, International Markets at Paramount, says: "We know that British audiences continue to have a strong appetite for the high quality, relevant and impartial content provided by our UK public service broadcasters such as Channel 5. This new collaboration across the PSBs will ensure that, as these viewers continue to shift to IP enabled televisions, they continue to have an easy way to access the channels and content they know and love."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old Today, 11:01   #887
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You misunderstand my understanding, ol’ chap.

If we are talking about sport, I have acknowledged already that access to these events is too costly, but it’s not exactly cheap on Sky either. However, I think prices will come down as the markets consolidate.

As far as general entertainment goes, it has become much cheaper than to subscribe to Sky’s multi- channel packages and the choice is much greater, particularly when you factor in the ability to change streamers as often as every month.
So the choice is only greater (and cheaper) if you chop and change what products you have at a given time meaning you will have a reduced choice at any given time and instead by restricted to that one (or two) services taken at a given time.

It’s difficult to argue that represents better value if you have to reduce your convenience (or arrange your viewing by month depending on what you subscribe to).

Quote:
The streamers are now talking to each other about consolidating or bundling different streamers to provide better choices at less cost for the consumer. The same will happen in the sports arena over time, probably sooner rather than later.
That’s a roundabout way of saying “the streamers” are discussing their failing business models. They know, as well as the rest of this forum, there isn’t an appetite except (bizarrely) from you for the ever increasing fragmentation of the pay-tv market. “The streamers” can only dream of the economies of scale of traditional pay-tv platforms and jettisoning their failed business models are the first step towards changing that. However, there’s no evidence that it will increase choice (or reduce costs) to consumers in the marketplace.

Quote:
Nonsense, jfman. The Beeb is already well on the way in their planning for the replacement of their TV channels
Source?

Quote:
within a decade in favour of a streamer for example, and it is most likely that our existing broadcast system will be turned off in 2035. You’re just ignoring the facts to prolong your wet dream that the channels are here to stay forever. I’m afraid you are going to have to content yourself with a miriad of inferior FAST channels to feast on in the future.
I have to content myself with no such thing, OB. As a pay-tv subscriber with a traditional service and multiple (including international) streaming services my choices will be catered for regardless of outcome. Like a rational consumer in the marketplace I’ll go with the best products regardless of technology.

I’m not sitting there like a Scooby Doo villain with a spreadsheet thinking “aha! If I take Netflix and Discovery Plus in month one, Prime and Apple TV in month two… etc, keep Now TV for Sky Movies throughout I’ll be 100% streaming, pay more, have less convenience but I’ll prove those pesky kids on CF wrong!”

I’m completely agnostic as to what happens in the future. It’s your confusion, and dare I say deranged obsession, that keeps these threads going.

Quote:
That depends how they bundle it. As you know, bundling channels means more choice for less expenditure, which is how the multi-channel system on Sky works. Unfortunately, this system is falling apart due to the fact that so many programmes are going straight to the streamers, leaving the channels floundering to put anything decent on.
I don’t know what TV you watch OB but there’s plenty of choice on Sky. The only thing floundering is the revenue levels of the “streamers” hence their desperation to change the business model.

Quote:
The streamer bundles will have plenty of choice with decent material. I dare say there will be the option to take just one streamer, or alternatively, the whole caboosh for a lower price than subscribing individually. We will have to see how that pans out.

Hopefully, there will also be subscriptions with ads options for those who cannot fork out too much on this or who simply don’t want to.
it’ll be the premium subscriptions with unskippable ads before you know it. It’ll all one big rug pull but just you keep deluding yourself as you did with “no ads”, “low cost”, etc.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote