Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with wireless router (Netgear)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with wireless router (Netgear)

Old 14-12-2005, 10:20   #1
zahid4u
Inactive

zahid4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with wireless router (Netgear)

I have a net gear modem router what happens is that when ever i try using the internet it works fine as i have a 1mb connection, but after a hour or so it disconnects internet and when i click onto the internet explorer it says bottom left corner "finding site www.ntlworld.com" and then i reset the net gear router to its default settings and i run the setup wizard, and it detects my internet connection port and after a minute it says "fixed ip detected" or a "static ip" and it wants me to enter the ip when ntl told me they have dynamic ip adds? so whats going wrong here i just dont get it? is it my wireless router?!

please reply back if you think am going wrong here,

many thanks for any replies.
zahid4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2005, 12:24   #2
kfridge
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV(M), Phone, Broadband(2MB) 2MB broadband
kfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to kfridge
Re: Help with wireless router (Netgear)

have you got the router set to get its address via DHCP?
kfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 12:32   #3
zahid4u
Inactive

thats the thing i dont get how to set it to DHCP? the first ever time i bought the router i setted everything up and ran the smart wizard it completed the wizard and i got this "dynamic ip detected assigned by dhcp" and i used the internet wirelessly for few hours and it disconnected and never been able to go back online.
Old 14-12-2005, 13:11   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to Computers & IT
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 13:13   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Zahid4U, what model is your Netgear router?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 13:17   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

to Cable Forum

Can you post the specific Netgear model? Also is your broadband supplied via a Set top Box (STB) or Cable Modem.

I'd suggest you do a factory reset on the router (usally a small button on the back / bottom you have to press and hold in for a number of seconds). Then power down the router, and leave it off for a while.

On your computer, uninstall the wireless network card (I'm assuming you have installed one, or are using a wireless USB adaptor - again unistall that). Basically get back to the PC state before you first got the Netgear stuff. If need be use windows safe mode, (F8 at startup) to ensure you have cleared out the drivers. Reboot the PC.

Now you can again follow the original setup / installation steps as prescribed by Netgear. Remember to power cycle the modem / STB before plugging in the router.

Once all is up and runing, try looking at the router settings. You may get better reliability if you use a different wirless channel from the default - there may be someone or something very near you causing a litle interference.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 22:23   #7
zahid4u
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
i have a NETGEAR MR814 v2...i dont know what to do..i have a ntl cable, i have tryed resetting to it default and the smartwizard opens up and detects the internet saying "fixed ip or static detected"
Old 14-12-2005, 22:34   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
i have a NETGEAR MR814 v2...i dont know what to do..i have a ntl cable, i have tryed resetting to it default and the smartwizard opens up and detects the internet saying "fixed ip or static detected"
Ok go into Network connections and right click on your connection and click Properties. Under "This connection uses the following items" scroll down and highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click properties. once you have done this select "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". Press Ok twice and that should sort you.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 10:09   #9
zahid4u
Inactive

thanks for that but i have already done those steps because i already when through them during the smartwizard setup on the netgear cd. and i have tryed leaving the router on all night and not turning it off but it still doesnt conenct to the internet when i try in the morning.