Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Soft users... IPcop etc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Soft users... IPcop etc

Old 09-07-2007, 05:09   #1
Data

Router Soft users... IPcop etc

After seeing the reports on CF of download speeds being affected by the router, I did a bit of research, which opened my eyes.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
Throughput and multiple connections are a problem for cheap routers. As speeds and multiple downloads etc increase, this is a growing concern.
I decided to use IPcop as a replacement for my safecom SBRU 10100, which has proven faultless.

Anyway, does anyone have experience of IPcop or similar non windows on old hardware firewalls?
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2007, 08:04   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Router Soft users... IPcop etc

I'm using an IPcop router/firwall, it's installed on a small form factor Compaq P3 with a 20GB HDD and 256MB RAM(some would say that's overkill).

Had no problems with is whatsoever, never needs re-booting(which can not be siad of my netgear). Internet access is faster, and the firewall is excellent.

Also, it does very good job as a VPN endpoint for my connection to my workplace network.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 17:45   #3
Data

Cheers Jon. What about configuration via the web interface? I tried Router OS from Mikrotik and that was a nightmare, to put it mildly.
Old 09-07-2007, 18:05   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

The web interface, in my opinion, is about the same as a standard SOHO router(ie Netgear, Linksys etc).

However to get it configured you need to a certain amount of configuration in text based menus at install time,this is quite easy as long as you read the installation guide before you start(it isn't long or complicated).
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 18:44   #5
SimpleSimon
cf.addict

Services: VIP Package
SimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud of

I also have IPCop installed on a Dell Optiplex desktop PC. I can highly recommend it. My current uptime on it is 162 days. I know I have been lucky with no power cuts . Setup and config once set up is really easy so long as you read the manual. Can recommend http://ipcops.com as a support forum.

Simon
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 17:00   #6
Data

I'm using it as I type.

Working on a PII 350 with 128 ram and easily powers it. It closes the ident port but leaves it visible to the internet. I disabled the rule and full stealth is now achieved.
Browsing is snappier, but download speeds appear the same. Time will tell.

Thanks boys.