Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 24-12-2022, 13:44   #2266
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I never said you liked him.
I didn't say that you said that. You said that I " would present Putin as someone misunderstood and misguided rather than what he is". I haven't said anything like that. I'm also not saying that provocation is mitigation.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
One of the issues is that you claim the two countries to be as bad as each other.
No one is the most corrupt, the other the second most corrupt
Quote:
Do you not agree that one country which invades another country illegally makes that country worse than the country being invaded?
Absolutely agree

The point I'm trying to make is that Zelensky is the head of a staggeringly corrupt country and he's now being feted as a hero. I strongly suspect he's not.
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2022, 14:42   #2267
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
No one is the most corrupt, the other the second most corrupt
They both suffer from corruption but the aggressive actions of Russia make it the worse country.

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is that Zelensky is the head of a staggeringly corrupt country and he's now being feted as a hero. I strongly suspect he's not.
Zelensky took the helm at a country suffering from corruption which had been invaded five years earlier by Russia with a new mass invasion taking place a couple of years since he took power.

I think that it's unreasonable for him to turn the country's corruption around quickly and his current subsuming issue is fighting for the survival of the country. In terms of motivating the country, his wartime leadership, his ability to get resources from the West there can be few in his country that don't see him as a hero and I suspect most of the West see him as a hero. That's why he was awarded Man of the Year by Time magazine. https://time.com/person-of-the-year-...kraine-choice/

As Chris has suggested, the impression gleaned from your points you make is of someone whose expressed opinions of Zelensky and Ukraine follow Putin's playbook, albeit likely totally unknowingly.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 24-12-2022 at 14:50.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 14:50   #2268
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm also not saying that provocation is mitigation.
And yet that is what true provocation is. Simply asserting that Russia was provoked creates a context in which its subsequent actions may be viewed less critically. Phrases like ‘Russia was provoked’ and ‘Russia has legitimate security concerns’ are shared freely on the bulletin boards of the world but they are just smokescreens for the Tsarist ambitions of a tyrant. Repeating them adds to the propaganda campaign that seeks to mitigate in Russia’s favour.

You may not have intended to do this, but by digesting and repeating the commentary emanating from the sources you appear to prefer, this is what you’re doing. You may not personally be attempting to create a more sympathetic hearing for Russia but those who are ultimately behind this most certainly do. In your attempt to sound even-handed you’re acting in the service of those who wish to create (at best) a moral equivalence between Ukraine and Russia.

In terms of who invaded who, and who is trying to stop genocide, there really, really isn’t any moral equivalence at all. And right now, while people are dying in their thousands, that’s what matters, because from the Ukrainian perspective, if they stop fighting, their people’s suffering will only increase.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 16:55   #2269
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
And yet that is what true provocation is. Simply asserting that Russia was provoked creates a context in which its subsequent actions may be viewed less critically. Phrases like ‘Russia was provoked’ and ‘Russia has legitimate security concerns’ are shared freely on the bulletin boards of the world but they are just smokescreens for the Tsarist ambitions of a tyrant. Repeating them adds to the propaganda campaign that seeks to mitigate in Russia’s favour.
I hear you and understand your point. I (and many others ) do however think that Russia was provoked. That isn't Russian misinformation but obviously Putins keyboard warriors are out there pushing and embellishing that narrative as hard as possible. Just because they are doing that doesn't make the core fact false.

Quote:
You may not have intended to do this, but by digesting and repeating the commentary emanating from the sources you appear to prefer, this is what you’re doing. You may not personally be attempting to create a more sympathetic hearing for Russia but those who are ultimately behind this most certainly do. In your attempt to sound even-handed you’re acting in the service of those who wish to create (at best) a moral equivalence between Ukraine and Russia.
Let me be clear. I'm not trying to sound even handed. What Russia is doing is terrible and there is no "moral equivalence" between the two countries when it comes to the conflict.
I just don't think that Zelensky should be put on a pedestal just because his country has been invaded. He didn't turn into Snow White because of it. He is just as corrupt as the rest of them and now is being given billions with little accountability.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:
I think that it's unreasonable for him to turn the country's corruption around quickly
Up till the invasion, I had seen no attempts to meaningfully reduce corruption. Simply business as usual.
Old 24-12-2022, 22:47   #2270
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
A less than perfect person can rise and lead a nation in need, look at Churchill. Still, your point is a poor one: whether a country is more corrupt than others and if its leader is less than you wish them to be, does not present a valid case for a sovereign country to be invaded by its neighbour.

You seem to argue that Russia is not 100% culpable here? You imply that they have a defence of being "provoked". Pure delusion ...
Old 24-12-2022, 23:55   #2271
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I hear you and understand your point. I (and many others ) do however think that Russia was provoked. That isn't Russian misinformation but obviously Putins keyboard warriors are out there pushing and embellishing that narrative as hard as possible. Just because they are doing that doesn't make the core fact false.
I've provided links from three different sources that indicate the NATO provocation excuse which you subscribe to was Russian misinformation. Which links back up your assertion?

Quote:
I just don't think that Zelensky should be put on a pedestal just because his country has been invaded. He didn't turn into Snow White because of it. He is just as corrupt as the rest of them and now is being given billions with little accountability.
He is being praised because of his wartime leadership of Ukraine. No one is pretending he's faultless. He's not being given money personally as you infer; Ukraine the nation is being given weapons and economic assistance. Again, you are inadvertently following Putin's narrative.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 25-12-2022 at 00:02.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 12:31   #2272
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You imply that they have a defence of being "provoked"
That's not what I'm implying at all.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:
I've provided links from three different sources that indicate the NATO provocation excuse which you subscribe to was Russian misinformation. Which links back up your assertion?
I'm sorry but I'm not going to trawl the internet for you. Do your own homework.

Quote:
He's not being given money personally as you infer
I'm not saying that he's personally being given money. The corrupt regime he's running is.
Old 25-12-2022, 14:06   #2273
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not going to trawl the internet for you. Do your own homework.

<SNIP>
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1
Sorry to be rude. But you really are descending into the pits. Andrew asked which pieces of Russian misinformation you subscribe to. So how can you expect Andrew to trawl the Internet, at the same time reading your mind to find links that only you can fathom?

Just answer his damn question or shut up. You’re ridiculous.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 18:38   #2274
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Sorry to be rude. But you really are descending into the pits. Andrew asked which pieces of Russian misinformation you subscribe to. So how can you expect Andrew to trawl the Internet, at the same time reading your mind to find links that only you can fathom?

Kinda sums him up, his covid rants are legendary too.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 19:22   #2275
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Before anyone crosses the line here, I suggest you remind yourselves of CF rules on comments about other members.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 19:39   #2276
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

And you are insultingly assuming that I'm subscribing to Russian misinformation.....thanks for that.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Kinda sums him up, his covid rants are legendary too.
I suggest that you look deeper into that rabbit hole than the BBCs reporting.
Old 25-12-2022, 20:40   #2277
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Before anyone crosses the line here, I suggest you remind yourselves of CF rules on comments about other members.
Merry Christmas, everyone.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2022, 21:06   #2278
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar

TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Merry Christmas, everyone.
Merry Christmas, hope you all had a great day
Old 25-12-2022, 23:48   #2279
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Yep. merry Christmas everyone
Old 26-12-2022, 13:36   #2280
richard-john56
cf.addict

Services: 1 gig broadband
richard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about themrichard-john56 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Lest we forget about the true situation in Ukraine before the invasion: https://rumble.com/v20895u-zelensky-...president.html
You can only vote for Putin in Russia ... nice country not.
richard-john56 is offline   Reply With Quote