Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Boosting Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Boosting Speeds

Old 24-10-2022, 14:27   #31
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Boosting Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-speeds.html

Wonder if we'll finally see 100Meg up on 1Gig (slight sarcasm)
behave yerself there fella
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2022, 14:19   #32
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No change on upload on 1Gig, wasn't really expecting it though to be honest!
Glad I left VM then. I was on their top tier, but 50Mb upstream is not sufficient for running my free Plex server. Four clients take up >50Mb. I moved to Vodafone/CityFibre and currently enjoy a nice symmetrical 900Mb+, for less than I paid VM for the broadband element. Lower ping too, 5-7ms.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 16:55   #33
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Glad I left VM then. I was on their top tier, but 50Mb upstream is not sufficient for running my free Plex server. Four clients take up >50Mb. I moved to Vodafone/CityFibre and currently enjoy a nice symmetrical 900Mb+, for less than I paid VM for the broadband element. Lower ping too, 5-7ms.
As soon as CF or another Altnet rollout here, i'll be jumping too
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 17:07   #34
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As soon as CF or another Altnet rollout here, i'll be jumping too
Is there a more detailed site we can go to other than the Openreach site that displays this message when i put in my postcode, i want it to define my area with a map of current times etc?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

Quote:
We're sorry, our fibre products aren't available for you yet.
However, we are starting to roll out our Ultrafast Full Fibre and Superfast Fibre products in your area, giving you speeds of up to 1Gbps - provide your contact details and we'll keep you up to date with progress and what this means for your address.
Old 27-10-2022, 09:28   #35
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I believe that's the best you can get on official terms from OR, you can keep an eye on something like https://bidb.uk/ for OR / other altnets doing work in your area though!
Old 27-10-2022, 09:55   #36
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I'm on 1GB broadband and instead of boosting downstream i much rather they increased upstream to 100mb.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 01:09   #37
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Haven't seen any boost to my 'Volt' 500meg package, but a few neighbours and friends have been seeing boosts to their lower 100/200 packages - I can only assume the higher tiers are left out, at least for the timebeing(?)

I imagine that there'd be some stress on the network if they start bumping upstreams too exessively, perhaps the reason for the above...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 10:10   #38
Synthetic
cf.geek

Have a feeling they'll want most if not all of the network on 5x 3.0 1x 3.1 upstream before they boost the higher tiers upstream, unless they're able to release it to gig1 customers only in upgraded areas, don't think they can / will do that though.
Old 29-10-2022, 10:57   #39
sevsman
cf.member

sevsman is on a distinguished roadsevsman is on a distinguished road

Where do I look to see if my UL is 3.1? I can see Docsis Mode 3.1 under general configuration but nothing specifically for the upstream channel.
sevsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 11:08   #40
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevsman View Post
Where do I look to see if my UL is 3.1? I can see Docsis Mode 3.1 under general configuration but nothing specifically for the upstream channel.
You will see that on the Upstream Tab it'll be separated, so you may have 5 3.0 Bonded upstreams and 1 3.1 Bonded.
Old 29-10-2022, 12:36   #41
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Didnt VM have massive issues when working from home started due to congested upstreams? Might be best to use the new docsis 3.1 channel purely for congestion relief?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 13:46   #42
Huxie
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Volt
Huxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You will see that on the Upstream Tab it'll be separated, so you may have 5 3.0 Bonded upstreams and 1 3.1 Bonded.
Hmm, I don’t see any separation in my Upstream tab, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. Are you running the Hub in modem mode? I’m in router mode, wonder if that makes a difference?

DBB78B26-078A-4F65-A845-924082C01468.jpeg
Huxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 13:48   #43
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxie View Post
Hmm, I don’t see any separation in my Upstream tab, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. Are you running the Hub in modem mode? I’m in router mode, wonder if that makes a difference?

Attachment 30269
That's because you don't have any 3.1 bonded channels, mine looks the same as I only have 5 3.0 bonded.
Old 29-10-2022, 14:17   #44
Huxie
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Volt
Huxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That's because you don't have any 3.1 bonded channels, mine looks the same as I only have 5 3.0 bonded.
Ah, that explains it then. Cheers.
Huxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 14:41   #45
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Look in the right place:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A9F93B5B-6358-4481-B3EC-9D0DD6EFE048.jpeg (717.3 KB, 54 views)
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote