Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 08-11-2018, 17:16   #346
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Absolutely, maybe some good can come out of this though and it will encourage more people to think twice before uploading anything objectionable on the internet.
"Objectionable" is subjective and just an opinion. And just because someone considers an action to be objectionable does not automatically mean anything needs to be done about it.

IMO there are far too many "I don't like it so I want it banned" types out there. Don't get me wrong, there does need to be regulation on what is broadcasted/transmitted etc.

There are plenty of things I've seen/read/heard online that have offended me. Unless it has broken the law my default reaction is to switch off, leave the website, look elsewhere etc. The world does not revolve around what I like or dislike.

The Grenfell bonfire idiots - should they be prosecuted? I'm not sure which law they've broken, Not 100% certain a Public Order charge will stick. Were they stupid to do it and do they deserve the wrath of the public? I'd say hell-to-the-yeah. Should they have been stopped from uploading that video of them doing what they did? I disagree. Sure it must have been upsetting for the relatives of the victims but if someone wants to show footage of how stupid they are then I say go right ahead.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2018, 18:34   #347
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Objectionable in whose opinion ?
Well, it could be anybody who is sent or comes across the material.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A former chief prosecutors view.
Apparently, they are currently being dealt with under a law more serious than section 5 of the Public Order Act because Theresa May changed it. Until she did this, it was possible to prosecute somebody who would have been offended by something if they had of been there at the time it took place (but were not).

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
once you go down this road, it's a hand cart to hell.

You make offending someone a criminal act.

In regards to this particular stunt, did I find it funny....no, did I think it in poor taste....yes. Was I offended by it........NO.

If I had friends or relatives die in that tower of course I would think differently.......but it's still subjective.

to use the Malicious Communications Act is tenuous and I don't think it was written for this type of incident.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1

it's more to do with a directed attack on an individual, not something that is broadcast.
The law is supposed to protect everyone, not just things that affect us personally.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And up to 10 years ago, there wasn’t the instant connectivity/escalation/viral explosions of stuff like this, due to social media and click bait headlines in the online media, and the need to fill the 24x7 news cycle.
The internet is a major part of the issue itself. If someone says something verbally offensive or sends them something offensive in the post that's one thing, but to effectively do it in front of potentially millions of other people makes it a whole different ball game.

It's much more serious and evidence is easier to obtain.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
"Objectionable" is subjective and just an opinion. And just because someone considers an action to be objectionable does not automatically mean anything needs to be done about it.

IMO there are far too many "I don't like it so I want it banned" types out there. Don't get me wrong, there does need to be regulation on what is broadcasted/transmitted etc.

There are plenty of things I've seen/read/heard online that have offended me. Unless it has broken the law my default reaction is to switch off, leave the website, look elsewhere etc. The world does not revolve around what I like or dislike.

The Grenfell bonfire idiots - should they be prosecuted? I'm not sure which law they've broken, Not 100% certain a Public Order charge will stick. Were they stupid to do it and do they deserve the wrath of the public? I'd say hell-to-the-yeah. Should they have been stopped from uploading that video of them doing what they did? I disagree. Sure it must have been upsetting for the relatives of the victims but if someone wants to show footage of how stupid they are then I say go right ahead.
Objectional is subjective I agree e.g. a vegan may find footage of the slaughter of animals offensive, whilst many will not.

To deal with this, i'm assuming that the UK will take on a large number of properly trained moderators and have transparent policies, guidelines etc that can be appealed against, so that the new initiative to deal with online offences won't become too burdensome on the police or judicial system.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:38   #348
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Respect has to be earned it is not a given.
Or give it to take away.
Old 08-11-2018, 18:42   #349
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
To deal with this, i'm assuming that the UK will take on a large number of properly trained moderators and have transparent policies, guidelines etc that can be appealed against, so that the new initiative to deal with online offences won't become too burdensome on the police or judicial system.
Also known as the thought police. Many would say such people already exist in the media.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-11-2018, 18:59   #350
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, it could be anybody who is sent or comes across the material.

The law is supposed to protect everyone, not just things that affect us personally.
Well, that just shows that such a law cannot work. Anything you say these days is objectionable according to someone.

You cannot protect everyone from hearing things they don't want to hear. Therein lies madness.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 19:09   #351
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, that just shows that such a law cannot work. Anything you say these days is objectionable according to someone.

You cannot protect everyone from hearing things they don't want to hear. Therein lies madness.
Exactly. Some people indeed need to grow a pair, others genuinely deserve protecting but deciding who fits in either category is a minefield which will never be without criticism.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-11-2018, 00:40   #352
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

One way round it would be for people to always communicate with others on the internet in a polite, respectful and friendly manner. I think it's the perceived anonymity that brings out the worst in some people.

Snide remarks, malicious sarcasm, questions made in bad faith etc are the preserve of these guys:

https://itstillworks.com/difference-between-troll-cyberbully-5054.html

And yes, there is a difference between a troll and a cyber bully...
Old 09-11-2018, 04:39   #353
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
One way round it would be for people to always communicate with others on the internet in a polite, respectful and friendly manner.
I cannot quite work out if you really are as naive as you sound, or just on a wind up.

The world is full of different people, with different views, different tastes etc etc.
Its not some fluffy fantasy land full of rainbows, unicorns and everyone being nice to each other.

You cannot police opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
I'm assuming that the UK will take on a large number of properly trained moderators
Are you having a laugh (again) ?
The government are cutting back on everything (including real police officers) so they sure as hell aren't going to pay for a load of "moderators".

(and who will be moderating the moderators ?)

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:50   #354
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
One way round it would be for people to always communicate with others on the internet in a polite, respectful and friendly manner.
You're expecting humans to act against human nature? Some less than others undoubtedly but nobody on the planet is capable of being like that 100% of the time.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-11-2018, 13:36   #355
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I cannot quite work out if you really are as naive as you sound, or just on a wind up.

The world is full of different people, with different views, different tastes etc etc.
Its not some fluffy fantasy land full of rainbows, unicorns and everyone being nice to each other.

You cannot police opinion.

Are you having a laugh (again) ?
The government are cutting back on everything (including real police officers) so they sure as hell aren't going to pay for a load of "moderators".

(and who will be moderating the moderators ?)
It's not the different views etc that are the problem, it's about people treating each other with respect and kindness. Yes, there are some dreadful people in the world, but the goal should be to bring them up to a decent level of communicating with others. Over the years this has slowly but surely improved e.g. terminology routinely used when I was a child is now (at the very least) socially unacceptable.

I think that education is the best way to do it but, unfortunately, more formal action is sometimes neccessary.

The Government wouldn't be paying the salaries of the moderators, if would be the social networking sites etc that would meet the cost if the German model is adopted as Ofcom have proposed. I think there's a good chance that if will be because, as you rightly say, the Government isn't putting enough resources into general policing as it is.

If either party disagreed with the moderator decision, they would be able to take it further, probably Ofcom.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
You're expecting humans to act against human nature? Some less than others undoubtedly but nobody on the planet is capable of being like that 100% of the time.
Yes, everybody has their off days or is 'baited', but i'm talking about mean spirited or deliberately malicious things that are uploaded. If it makes people think carefully before posting something then it can only be a good thing.

Free speech is a right not afforded to many in the world and shouldn't be abused.
Old 09-11-2018, 16:49   #356
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This is an interesting link, as somebody tried to run a site with no restrictions on what people were able to say. The result was a tirade of anti semantic, homophobic etc abuse and death threats:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/indep...1_20181109_4_2

It was effectively shut down as payment providers PayPal & Stripe withdrew support, as did the domain owner Go Daddy and server host Joyent.

I agree with the author when he says that free speech is not hate speech and that people should be free to converse, express, debate and discuss, but not to abuse, demonise and vilify others in the process.
Old 09-11-2018, 17:24   #357
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

Yes, everybody has their off days or is 'baited', but i'm talking about mean spirited or deliberately malicious things that are uploaded.
Who appoints themselves are the decider between those 2?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 10-11-2018, 19:13   #358
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Who appoints themselves are the decider between those 2?
Under the proposed system, it would be the recipient of such material or someone who comes across it. They would report it to an impartial moderator who would take into account all views and the law after full training had been given. If either party didn't agree with the outcome, they would be free to appeal to a higher body, take their own legal action etc.

I think that the aim would be to settle most incidents amicalably and informally (much like the current ombudsmen services that exist).
Old 10-11-2018, 19:21   #359
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Under the proposed system, it would be the recipient of such material or someone who comes across it. They would report it to an impartial moderator who would take into account all views and the law after full training had been given. If either party didn't agree with the outcome, they would be free to appeal to a higher body, take their own legal action etc.

I think that the aim would be to settle most incidents amicalably and informally (much like the current ombudsmen services that exist).
So the snowflakes win. No thanks. Tell them to go to their safe space and stop accessing the internet. Problem solved.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 15:38   #360
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So the snowflakes win. No thanks. Tell them to go to their safe space and stop accessing the internet. Problem solved.
Most people won't notice any difference whatsoever, they'll continue to interact with people from all walks of society in a polite, respectful and friendly manner.

It's the minority who cause problems for others who will have to improve their behaviour if they wish to use the internet.

What is it that you'd want to say that this would prevent you from saying?