Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 25-04-2023, 15:25   #2026
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Richard please be clear i never have and never will talk about ways to circumnavigate set-top box encryption on here or anywhere else. As for your other accusations that Virgin allowed this to happen you are completely wrong and if someone was found to be doing it they would be instantly dismissed.
I didn't think it would matter as it relates to an old system from long ago, but fair enough.

I did hear from the engineers ex girlfriend later on that Virgin (or whoever they contracted it out to) had found out he was selling these dodgy boxes and dismissed him. This was years ago though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2023, 18:54   #2027
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

RemGuess it was just banter but I clearly remember being told that there was a work around .in the days of ntl, no idea if in fact it was true.

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I didn't think it would matter as it relates to an old system from long ago, but fair enough.

I did hear from the engineers ex girlfriend later on that Virgin (or whoever they contracted it out to) had found out he was selling these dodgy boxes and dismissed him. This was years ago though.
remember seeing a market in the isle of Wight with a stall offering to chip sky boxes , was there every time I went so at least a couple of months ,guess it worked,
Old 25-04-2023, 19:52   #2028
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
RemGuess it was just banter but I clearly remember being told that there was a work around .in the days of ntl, no idea if in fact it was true.

remember seeing a market in the isle of Wight with a stall offering to chip sky boxes , was there every time I went so at least a couple of months ,guess it worked,
They could chip Sky analogue boxes en masse, but i've read that hacking a Sky box only works for that particular box. As each box would have to be individually done, it's not feasible. I assume in the world of digital that it's the same fir Virgin.

I was offered 'free' Virgin recently, presumably it's now done via card sharing, but I'm not botherred for sports and I can get Sky Movies for £1 a month legitimately with Now TV, but these days they aren't even worth that!

It's not exactly free either as you have to pay a one off cost and the box may work for a year or maybe a day with no come back, so there's the financial implications as well as the moral and legal implications to consider.
Old 25-04-2023, 23:32   #2029
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

In the days of NTL it was easy later further encription was implemented but was soon hacked. The last encription when I had a dodgy box was Nagra 2. but in 2009 VM changed to Nagra 3. I gave up on it then.

I've just found out that Nagra 3 was hacked within 3 yrs.

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

Quote:

In the days of NTL it was easy later further encription was implemented but was soon hacked. The last encription when I had a dodgy box was Nagra 2. but in 2009 VM changed to Nagra 3. I gave up on it then.

I've just found out that Nagra 3 was hacked within 3 yrs.Here's a reminder. https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33658868
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 02:36   #2030
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Just watching Keir Starmer doing an interview about protecting women from harm on social media on ITV yesterday morning.

He says that it cannot be right that individuals are expected to do all the work to deal with trolls, people that abuse them etc and that he wants platform operators to take more responsibility.

I don't know if this would be via the Online Safety Bill or some other measure.
Old 26-04-2023, 09:58   #2031
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

How will he protect women from harm if he can’t even define one?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 10:08   #2032
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
How will he protect women from harm if he can’t even define one?

Below the belt mate!
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 10:36   #2033
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well there is one thing people are forgetting.

The Dark Web.

Its not illegal to use, but obviously there is illegal stuff on there, and if you are in those groups or circles, I would guess that there are whatsApp type apps that make WhatsApp encyption look weak.

So banning WhatsApp is pointless.
Old 26-04-2023, 10:48   #2034
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Well there is one thing people are forgetting.

The Dark Web.

Its not illegal to use, but obviously there is illegal stuff on there, and if you are in those groups or circles, I would guess that there are whatsApp type apps that make WhatsApp encyption look weak.

So banning WhatsApp is pointless.
The Dark Web is highly scrutinised and Tor Nodes get high jacked and even set up by security agencies. I am sure said security services have eyes and ears in most places but on the same note I am guessing most of what they see is not worth the time and resources to follow it up

Joe Bloggs buying a few gram of coke is hardly crime of the century and a lot of the sites are hosted well out of their jurisdiction anyway. Not that I know any of this for sure or ever go there just my logic
Old 26-04-2023, 12:36   #2035
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post

Below the belt mate!
Well you should check!
Old 26-04-2023, 14:01   #2036
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Just watching Keir Starmer doing an interview about protecting women from harm on social media on ITV yesterday morning.
You mean like avoid using it.

How does "Social Media" harm you ? its not a physical entity.
Also, why only "Women" ? What about Men ? Inbetweens ? Children ?

Hes just another of these useless idiots that mutters things he thinks [some] people want to hear.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:55   #2037
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

In 2018 it was made illegal to cold call people to try to sell them pension products, with a £500,000 fine for those that flouted the law. This was due to a lot of people being scammed.

This summer the Online Safety Billl will enlarge rules about cold calling. It will become illegal in any situation, even for legitimate companies, to cold call anyone if it involves any situation being given to the caller about your financial situation.or details eg credit card number for a 'postage surcharge' Anyonevthat doesc so will become subject to the same fines as the 2018 law

More importantly, anyone who receives such a call will instantly know that such calls received areceithercscammers or undertaking illegal activity.

This to be backedcup with ac30 million pound investment in a bew 'National Fraud Squad'.

Action Fraud are to have their 120 call handlers increased to 500 to help deal with complaints.

Meanwhile, Ofcom are to take action over spoof calls, 70% of which come from abroad.(usually Russia or Africa).

They make the number look like it's ones bank calling, fir example, by removing the international dialling code and faking the number. Technology will be made available to stop such attempts at source.even before your phone even rings.

BT have been trialling this on a smaller scale and managed to stop 65% of calls getting through.

This will be rolled out to all telephony operators from 15 May 2023.

Anyone who wishes to use the various unlnown number blocking services available from phone complanies can do so for free, apart from Virgin Media customers who have to pay a charge of £3 per month.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You mean like avoid using it.

How does "Social Media" harm you ? its not a physical entity.
Also, why only "Women" ? What about Men ? Inbetweens ? Children ?

Hes just another of these useless idiots that mutters things he thinks [some] people want to hear.
Women were the subject of the interview.

Those legitimately using social media should not have to do without the benefits of doing so because of trolls etc, it's the perpetrators of such behaviour that Nedd to be dealt with.

Social media & the internet can do a lot of harm to people in allsorts of situations, hence the need for the Onlime Harms Act.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-05-2023 at 02:06. Reason: Spelling Fac RDA
Old 10-05-2023, 10:45   #2038
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I always avoided cold callers by having an answer phone until my house phone became defunct.Now I just don't answer any unknown numbers on my mobile. So I have no issues with cold callers at all.
Old 10-05-2023, 15:28   #2039
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I always avoided cold callers by having an answer phone until my house phone became defunct.Now I just don't answer any unknown numbers on my mobile. So I have no issues with cold callers at all.
The thing is that they are able to spoof numbers to make it appear that they are from a number that you know eg your bank.

There's the 'mum' scam where they pretend to be the child of a parent and send a text saying that they are in trouble & need money urgently. They may say that your daughter has lost/had stolen her phone. Despite being told this, always ring her on the number(s) you have for her to check it's legitimate first.

Hopefully the changes later this month will stop most (or even all) of these calls.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-05-2023 at 15:33. Reason: Completed FAC RDA
Old 10-05-2023, 17:28   #2040
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The thing is that they are able to spoof numbers to make it appear that they are from a number that you know eg your bank.

There's the 'mum' scam where they pretend to be the child of a parent and send a text saying that they are in trouble & need money urgently. They may say that your daughter has lost/had stolen her phone. Despite being told this, always ring her on the number(s) you have for her to check it's legitimate first.

Hopefully the changes later this month will stop most (or even all) of these calls.
We live in a no cold calling zone, hasn't stop it . Even with signs all over the streets. The speed limit is 20mph and that is ignored, guessing what ever the law says it won't stop it. However it might get a few votes