Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 22-04-2023, 21:53   #1996
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I suspect that they will use AI to check the majority of them, with human intervention when something of importance is flagged up.
Richard do you understand just how big the system will be to do this. Plus even IF they could and they cannot, it would cost a fortune. Checking every single encrypted message sent on every single encrypted message App

So how would they track me if i am using a burner phone or logged into an open WIFI access point. ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

Last edited by Sirius; 22-04-2023 at 21:57.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2023, 21:56   #1997
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Exactly

It is so easy to use free wifi in fact it is so easy to use other peoples wifi even if it is password protected.
If Whattsapp were to be proscribed, I doubt that those who were simply talking about apple pie recipes would go to these lengths or risk getting caught though.

Whattsapp would lose most of their users in the UK if they refused to comply and the Government didn't back down.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 21:59   #1998
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Even if they can't identify the people talking at the time, it would be useful to scupper plans being made to bomb a particular place at a particular time.
How

If they cannot even read the message how would they know, Maybe tea leaves in a cup

Old 22-04-2023, 21:59   #1999
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Even if they can't identify the people talking at the time, it would be useful to scupper plans being made to bomb a particular place at a particular time.
Yeah cuz terrorists are well known to use whatsapp and facebook messenger aint they? they got message boards on the dark web for that shiz and highly encrypted apps
Old 22-04-2023, 22:00   #2000
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
If Whattsapp were to be proscribed, I doubt that those who were simply talking about apple pie recipes would go to these lengths or risk getting caught though.

Whattsapp would lose most of their users in the UK if they refused to comply and the Government didn't back down.
Trust me i could still use WhatsApp even if it was banned in the UK.

Old 22-04-2023, 22:42   #2001
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And/or just use one of the many other options out there.

Anyone who doesn't want Meta to own their stuff (by own I mean allowing Meta to use it for whatever they want) probably doesn't use WhatsApp anyway.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 23:24   #2002
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Maybe the Government will make it a criminal offence to use WhatsApp?

I doubt that most people would risk the consequences of using a proscribed platform. The remaining users are likely to be using a platform using end to end encryption for questionable purposes, so O suspect that they would go after the remaining users.

Also, money talks and Whattsapp may eventually relent when they realise how much money/market share that they will lose. At the moment I suspect it's nothinf more than verbal jousting.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Looks like they will bypass this by going in through a back door to circumvent efforts to hide what's being said;

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/e...-a9030046.html
How are the Goverment going to get access to a backdoor?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 01:04   #2003
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Maybe you could, but would you really risk getting caught breaking the law when alternatives exist?

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
How are the Goverment going to get access to a backdoor?
No idea. I assume that they'll employ experts in this field to achieve their goal.

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Yeah cuz terrorists are well known to use whatsapp and facebook messenger aint they? they got message boards on the dark web for that shiz and highly encrypted apps
I'm sure they will have, but the less organised terrorists and paedophiles regularly use Wharrsapp.
Old 23-04-2023, 02:20   #2004
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Maybe you could, but would you really risk getting caught breaking the law when alternatives exist?

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

No idea. I assume that they'll employ experts in this field to achieve their goal.

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

I'm sure they will have, but the less organised terrorists and paedophiles regularly use Wharrsapp.
And you know this how?
Old 23-04-2023, 07:13   #2005
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:

Please show me where they will make it a LAW that will prevent me as a private citizen from using WhatsApp or any other E2E encrypted App in the UK. Real evidence not what you think will happen.

Last edited by Sirius; 23-04-2023 at 08:01.
Old 23-04-2023, 09:20   #2006
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Are we sure that Exynos or Snapdragon does not call mama back?
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 10:08   #2007
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
Are we sure that Exynos or Snapdragon does not call mama back?
Reasonably, because they are tested by GCHQ’s National Cyber Security Centre.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 11:29   #2008
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Reasonably, because they are tested by GCHQ’s National Cyber Security Centre.
I moved to Iphone 2 years ago due to the better security, its not perfect but better than normal for a phone.

Old 23-04-2023, 15:51   #2009
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
And you know this how?
Media reports and filmed interactions when they are caught where evidence is discussed.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Quote:
Please show me where they will make it a LAW that will prevent me as a private citizen from using WhatsApp or any other E2E encrypted App in the UK. Real evidence not what you think will happen.
I have never claimed that they definitely will do. My point is that if they do so, I suspect that you and others wouldn't risk the consequences and go to the trouble of using a proscribed service, particularly when legal alternatives would still exist.
Old 23-04-2023, 16:00   #2010
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Media reports and filmed interactions when they are caught where evidence is discussed.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

I have never claimed that they definitely will do. My point is that if they do so, I suspect that you and others wouldn't risk the consequences and go to the trouble of using a proscribed service, particularly when legal alternatives would still exist.
You never met anyone with an ITV Digital gold card, a dodgy cable box or a Fire Stick?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote