Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 31-03-2023, 13:25   #11251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It might as well be a completely different sport for all the relevance it has to Amazon’s extremely cheap Premier League rights.

£119m would buy about 15 Premier League games from the principal contracts held by Sky/BT.
Surely, this bid would cover the cheaper packages as well. DAZN wants it all.

Whether they will get it is another question, of course. But this does knock aside your view that there is no way the streamers could possibly take away the rights from Sky or BT. This bid proves that theory wrong. They are going for the jugular. Expect other competitive bids as well.

I understand why you thought the way you did, but here is the proof that the tectonic plates are shifting.
Old 31-03-2023, 13:39   #11252
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You don’t know the difference between the Football League and the Premier League do you?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 13:51   #11253
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You don’t know the difference between the Football League and the Premier League do you?
Do you want to explain or shall l.
Old 31-03-2023, 14:37   #11254
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The Football League consists of teams where the players want to play.

The Premier League consists of teams with lots of players who are overpayed and many only appear for the gauranteed money.

Quote:
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 16:41   #11255
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Oh, curses!!

For some reason, I thought the headline read EPL!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 31-03-2023 at 17:01.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 18:03   #11256
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It’s easy to get caught up in the hype, OB.

However no need to worry I’m as ever standing by with my bucket of cold water.
Old 31-03-2023, 19:06   #11257
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Oh, curses!!

For some reason, I thought the headline read EPL!
Strangely enough, what you actually posted stated

Quote:
Sky Sports is the incumbent broadcaster of the EFL, paying around £119m a year for 138 games across the Championship, League One and League Two, the playoffs and the EFL Cup
Did you read all of those as the EPL?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 19:15   #11258
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strangely enough, what you actually posted stated

Did you read all of those as the EPL?
I repeated it, yes, but I was obviously word blind at the time!
Old 31-03-2023, 21:47   #11259
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I repeated it, yes, but I was obviously word blind at the time!
Please accept my thanks for this new explanation for any future erroneous postings.

"I wasn’t wrong, I was merely "word blind" at the time…"

or

"I was, in a sense, ambushed by word blindness’"

or

my "word blindness" was essential for work purposes"

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 23:06   #11260
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Please accept my thanks for this new explanation for any future erroneous postings.

"I wasn’t wrong, I was merely "word blind" at the time…"

or

"I was, in a sense, ambushed by word blindness’"

or

my "word blindness" was essential for work purposes"

Oh, stop it , Hugh, for heaven’s sake.
Old 01-04-2023, 00:04   #11261
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The DAZN proposals for the EFL convince me more that my view - the current packages of rights favour the incumbents and stifle the prospect of new entrants - is correct.

They are clear that for their bid to succeed they need all of the games not just a subset of rights that - for Sky or BT certainly - would be secondary rights to the Premier League or Champions League. Games in uncontroversial timeslots to pad out schedules.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...sso_ott=hdvcd8

The £200m the league are targeting - adjusted for inflation - dwarfs the £315m three year deal that buried ITV Digital (about £554m in today's prices). The last time someone positioned the EFL as a premium product it collapsed spectacularly, pushing clubs to the brink. I do note however that they are proposing deals of up to five years, depending on the bids, something that would give stability to a new broadcaster. Again a nudge that I'm sure prospective bidders would like to push the Premier League in the direction of.

These rights would be extremely helpful for DAZN in filling their new linear schedule with 3/4 games a weekend, 2/3 games on midweeks carried live. Highlights shows, magazine shows and the bread and butter of cross promotional content to highlight what else they have on and promote their app. As Sky do now during Formula One - download the app and get enhanced content, driver on boards, etc. etc.
Old 01-04-2023, 13:06   #11262
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

There's certainly sufficient EFL fixtures around to help fill DAZN's content gap during the footy season. The question is more whether the extra subscribers and advertisers will cover the rights and production costs.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 13:24   #11263
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Need to sort out the Registratioin process too - problems for new 'DAZN on Sky' customers getting access to OnLine site and apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
There's certainly sufficient EFL fixtures around to help fill DAZN's content gap during the footy season. The question is more whether the extra subscribers and advertisers will cover the rights and production costs.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 13:46   #11264
jfman
Architect of Ideas

My money would be in buying EFL rights at that level would be entirely loss making on it’s own. It would however start a critical base of football fans (avoiding the “start from zero” problem with Premier League or Champions League rights.

It’d mean getting lesser packages - the Amazon bargain bucket plus one game per week, or one game per Champions League round of fixtures might be viable as they’d have content every week.
Old 01-04-2023, 14:05   #11265
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
My money would be in buying EFL rights at that level would be entirely loss making on it’s own. It would however start a critical base of football fans (avoiding the “start from zero” problem with Premier League or Champions League rights.

It’d mean getting lesser packages - the Amazon bargain bucket plus one game per week, or one game per Champions League round of fixtures might be viable as they’d have content every week.
I agree such an approach would make sense. Could DAZN get the EFL rights on a global basis?

However, in the absence of an additional upsell like gambling, I think DAZN like BT Sport will struggle to make money in the UK if not beyond.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote