Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 22-07-2022, 23:38   #1771
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
We could argue he won on a limited self-depreciation act which after the obvious shock factor jokes is done, there isn't much else left.

He doesn't have to be excluded from society or working if he is not a comedian. If my dream was to be a bikini clad model and influencer, people would right tell me where to poke it as I don't have the body for that. No matter how much I tell them its my dream.

Its a nice story that he became successful but not many people really want to listen to a speak and spell tell jokes slowly.

If I lost the use of my legs tomorrow, I wouldn't insist on being a football player and expect some team to put me on their team virtue signal some quota. We don't do it. Tv and film does.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

You may not but many companies do. I know for certain that two companies I have worked for with a large amount of employees do so.

I'm not sure if its still the case but there was some tax relief of help towards wages for companies that employed disabled people.

I know of someone training to be a firefighter and despite not doing well on some of the training, is going to get one of the places based on the fact she is female. Something she was told by someone higher up and it was related to females being under-represented in the field.
Lost Voice Guy won because he was and is funny.
Old 23-07-2022, 01:56   #1772
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Lost Voice Guy won because he was and is funny.
I'm not saying he wasn't. My point there was what made him funny was the jokes about his disability and he probably used the best ones of the limited supply he can have on those.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 10:22   #1773
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
But we weren't discussing whether this should be compulsory or not, it was you that insinuated that it was "the law" that meant that this was compulsory.

It's almost as if you're trying to swerve the fact that you misinterpreted what the Equality Act says about the subject.

People's language can be improved over time. When I was a child, the N word was in common usage. After years of societal disapproval and subsequent legislation, I have not heard anyone use the word in a derogatory sense since 1986.

As children grow up, they don't get to hear the word and its usage falls into disuse.

Last time a racially abusive word was used in my company, I found young people looking confused as they'd never heard the term before and had to actually ask what it meant.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Because, despite their difficulties communicating due to disability, right thinking people would rather give disabled people a chance to participate in their chosen field as opposed to excluding them from society.

Lost voice guy has indirectly helped the disabled on many levels and was chosen to be the winner of Britain's Got Talent on merit alone.

Would you prefer that he remained on benefits living an unfruitful life?

Don't forget that nobody is immune from disability, in fact most of us will become disabled at some point in our lives and nobody is forcing you to watch any comedian that you don't enjoy.
Couldn't agree more with the bit in bold. It's just a shame you can't see the same approach works with all the online content you want to be able to complain about and ultimately get censored.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 10:48   #1774
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
We could argue he won on a limited self-depreciation act which after the obvious shock factor jokes is done, there isn't much else left.

He doesn't have to be excluded from society or working if he is not a comedian. If my dream was to be a bikini clad model and influencer, people would right tell me where to poke it as I don't have the body for that. No matter how much I tell them its my dream.

Its a nice story that he became successful but not many people really want to listen to a speak and spell tell jokes slowly.

If I lost the use of my legs tomorrow, I wouldn't insist on being a football player and expect some team to put me on their team virtue signal some quota. We don't do it. Tv and film does.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

You may not but many companies do. I know for certain that two companies I have worked for with a large amount of employees do so.

I'm not sure if its still the case but there was some tax relief of help towards wages for companies that employed disabled people.

I know of someone training to be a firefighter and despite not doing well on some of the training, is going to get one of the places based on the fact she is female. Something she was told by someone higher up and it was related to females being under-represented in the field.
You may be confusing ‘targets’ with ‘quotas’…

I have worked at (and been a hiring manager) at a Cable Company, a very large Retail/Customer Services business, a Mobile Phone company, a £3 billion t/o Financial Services company, three Universities, and a major Utility company - none of those had quotas, only targets. What some of them did do was guarantee an interview if the disabled person met the initial selection criteria* (they would be added to the interview list, not replace someone).

The tax relief was to help the companies buy equipment to support disabled employees.

*some companies also do this for ex-Military
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 23-07-2022 at 10:55.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 11:15   #1775
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
But we weren't discussing whether this should be compulsory or not, it was you that insinuated that it was "the law" that meant that this was compulsory.

It's almost as if you're trying to swerve the fact that you misinterpreted what the Equality Act says about the subject.

People's language can be improved over time. When I was a child, the N word was in common usage. After years of societal disapproval and subsequent legislation, I have not heard anyone use the word in a derogatory sense since 1986.

As children grow up, they don't get to hear the word and its usage falls into disuse.

Last time a racially abusive word was used in my company, I found young people looking confused as they'd never heard the term before and had to actually ask
I didn't misinterpret anything, old chap. I was trying to convey to you that this amount of positive discrimination was permitted by the Equality Act. I did not state that positive discrimination was a legal requirement.
Old 23-07-2022, 12:54   #1776
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

"Positive Action", not discrimination, and only where the candidates are of equal merit and it is a proportionate way of addressing the under-representation or disadvantage…

Positive Action does not allow an employer to appoint a less suitable candidate just because that candidate has a protected characteristic that is under-represented or disadvantaged (that would be discrimination).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 23-07-2022 at 12:59.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 15:06   #1777
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"Positive Action", not discrimination, and only where the candidates are of equal merit and it is a proportionate way of addressing the under-representation or disadvantage…

Positive Action does not allow an employer to appoint a less suitable candidate just because that candidate has a protected characteristic that is under-represented or disadvantaged (that would be discrimination).
Quite.
Old 23-07-2022, 19:09   #1778
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Indeed, so anyone afraid of losing out on a job to someone less capable from a protected group can sleep more easily.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:
I'm not saying he wasn't. My point there was what made him funny was the jokes about his disability and he probably used the best ones of the limited supply he can have on those.
This may or may not be true and his act may or may not soon became stale.

What i'm concerned about is the fact that you were saying that disabled comedians shouldn't be on TV and derogatorily referred to his communication tool as a child's device.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 19:32   #1779
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Well the less time Rosie Jones spends on TV the better. Can't stand the woman.... Is that bad of me?
Old 23-07-2022, 20:05   #1780
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Indeed, so anyone afraid of losing out on a job to someone less capable from a protected group can sleep more easily.
WRONG!!

Sorry, Richard, you are simply not getting it. Generally, person spscifications have 'essential requirements' and 'desirable requiremsnts' but decisions are made on the essential requirements. The change you want in the law would oblige employers to take on an applicant from a minority group who was still a less suitable candidate, because this law wouldn't allow for the best appointment.

The law should be left as it is. It already serves its purpose.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 23-07-2022 at 20:57.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 20:41   #1781
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
What i'm concerned about is the fact that you were saying that disabled comedians shouldn't be on TV and derogatorily referred to his communication tool as a child's device.
Why are you concerned? Its an opinion and free speech lets me give my opinion within the boundaries of what say this site allows.

You have actually misconstrued what I said. I have not said disabled people should not be on TV. My suggestion is that it is stupid for someone to have a prominent speaking role job when they can't speak or its very hard for people to understand them. It is better for someone like that to have a role on tv where they talk less.

You seem to be think its ok for a disabled person to joke but if someone on a forum makes a joke about a speak and spell its derogatory? I feel concerned that are discriminating against me due to my able-bodied'ness...

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Well the less time Rosie Jones spends on TV the better. Can't stand the woman.... Is that bad of me?
Apparently she is not well liked by people outside of TV too.

But, is it because you can't understand her making it hard to watch/listen to her (which would kind of prove one of my points) or because you just don't like her?

Some of the stuff she has done off the telly is despicable
Old 23-07-2022, 21:00   #1782
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

The TV industry should concern itself with programmes and actors or presenters who can command big audiences. Whether or not they have disabilities, surely, is irrelevant.
Old 23-07-2022, 21:47   #1783
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The TV industry should concern itself with programmes and actors or presenters who can command big audiences. Whether or not they have disabilities, surely, is irrelevant.
And not use diversity quotas like they do and have been doing for a long time...

Brings me back to the way they damaged Have I got News for you and similar programs with the female quota for each episode.
Old 24-07-2022, 04:29   #1784
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
WRONG!!

Sorry, Richard, you are simply not getting it. Generally, person spscifications have 'essential requirements' and 'desirable requiremsnts' but decisions are made on the essential requirements. The change you want in the law would oblige employers to take on an applicant from a minority group who was still a less suitable candidate, because this law wouldn't allow for the best appointment.

The law should be left as it is. It already serves its purpose.
I haven't advocated any change in this particular area.

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
If you can't stand her as a person or don't care for her as a comedian, that's not wrong. If your dislike of her is in any way related to her disability, then that would be discriminatory.

---------- Post added at 03:23 ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 ----------

Quote:
Why are you concerned? Its an opinion and free speech lets me give my opinion within the boundaries of what say this site allows.

You have actually misconstrued what I said. I have not said disabled people should not be on TV. My suggestion is that it is stupid for someone to have a prominent speaking role job when they can't speak or its very hard for people to understand them. It is better for someone like that to have a role on tv where they talk less.

You seem to be think its ok for a disabled person to joke but if someone on a forum makes a joke about a speak and spell its derogatory? I feel concerned that are discriminating against me due to my able-bodied'ness...

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Apparently she is not well liked by people outside of TV too.

But, is it because you can't understand her making it hard to watch/listen to her (which would kind of prove one of my points) or because you just don't like her?

Some of the stuff she has done off the telly is despicable
If someone in a minority group wishes to make a joke at their own expense (this can often break down barriers and put people at ease), that's up to them. Others should be wary of doing so though as it could be construed that they are mocking them with snide comments and cause great offence and may actually get you into trouble in certain situations.

I think it's a case of meeting people half way. If someone with a speaking issue is impossible to understand on stage, it would simply be impractical. If they can be understood with a little patience and empathetic understanding, the kind thing to do eould be to make the effort and take it in one's stride.

---------- Post added at 03:29 ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 ----------

Quote:
I agree with reservations. TV isn't just for the masses, it's also for minorities, which is where the PSB ethos kicks in.

There's a TV programme for hearing impaired people called See Hear and a radio programme called In Touch for the sight impaired. Neither command huge audiences, but are invaluable to the people that they serve.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 09:48   #1785
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If you can't stand her as a person or don't care for her as a comedian, that's not wrong. If your dislike of her is in any way related to her disability, then that would be discriminatory..
Depends on the context. Is it really wrong that I can't stand listening to her voice, too shouty and too slow which makes it really annoying for me. She's not funny either, because she's too slow to tell a joke as you get the punchline before she's able to say it. As a person, I don't know her. As a comedian, she's not funny. It's not like I'm against her or complain as I have a choice to watch her or turn over the channel.

Is it right that half the channels on Virgin Media do not carry subtitles? Is that acceptable or down right discriminating for people that are deaf?