Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Newbie network install query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newbie network install query

Old 08-10-2007, 15:24   #1
rayd
Inactive

rayd is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie network install query

I'm new to cable broadband but am having the 4Mb service installed on Friday ... I hope.

At the moment I have a very slow ADSL service, which is why I'm changing. I have an adsl router feeding two wired and a wireless computer, plus a VoIP adaptor.

When I get the cable broadband installed on Friday, will the installer connect it to a cable router (which I can provide), or will I have to do that myself after he's just connected it to one computer?

Is it just a matter of plugging the cable modem wire into the WAN input on the router, or are there any settings I need to make?

I've looked on the Virginmedia website, but can't find any useful information. I'va also tried a search her, but can't find anything specific.

Any information or useful links would be appreciated.

Ray D
rayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2007, 15:27   #2
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Newbie network install query

AFAIK the engineers don't connect to your PC anymore (others may correct me)

As far as connecting to your cable router, that's all I did and everything seemed to work ok.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:31   #3
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

you will need a cable router not an adsl router as they are different technologies

the engineer will just fit the cable modem and then leave you to sort out the networking aspect, all you need do tho is plug the ethernet cable fromthe cable modem into the router (you will need to purchase a new router if isnt cable compatable) wan port, it is best to do this with both router and cable modem turnned off then turn on the router and cable modem

you may need to run the setup disk with the router to start with
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:40   #4
rayd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
you will need a cable router not an adsl router as they are different technologies

the engineer will just fit the cable modem and then leave you to sort out the networking aspect, all you need do tho is plug the ethernet cable fromthe cable modem into the router (you will need to purchase a new router if isnt cable compatable) wan port, it is best to do this with both router and cable modem turnned off then turn on the router and cable modem

you may need to run the setup disk with the router to start with
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a Belkin F5D7230-4 router here which should work. At the moment I use it as a switch on the network so I can use the WAN input for the cable. I've also got a USR 8054 somewhere which I've never used.

Really it's a question of knowing what configuration it will need. The Belkin can be set to DHCP on the WAN, but does it need anything else entered into the config?

I know what I'm doing with adsl, but cable broadband is a whole new ballgame to me - hence the basic questions.

Although I signed up last week and the install date was booked for Friday, I've not had anything sent to me yet - presumably because of the postal strike. Will the installer bring all my config details etc?

Cheers,

Ray D
Old 08-10-2007, 15:43   #5
BlackSabbath
Inactive

BlackSabbath is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask The Engineer For The Netgear Wireless Cable Router That Is A Part Of Your Package And It Comes Down To 4 Meg Customers For Free !!!!
BlackSabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:56   #6
rayd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSabbath View Post
Ask The Engineer For The Netgear Wireless Cable Router That Is A Part Of Your Package And It Comes Down To 4 Meg Customers For Free !!!!
Can you point me to where it says that so that I can show him please?

Cheers,

Ray D
Old 08-10-2007, 15:57   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Umm since when!?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 18:54   #8
BlackSabbath
Inactive

From 8th October , VM is launching the Wireless Home Network as a part of their existing broadband service . Here's the link :

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../noncable.html
Old 08-10-2007, 19:10   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
From 8th October , VM is launching the Wireless Home Network as a part of their existing broadband service . Here's the link :

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../noncable.html
That's their ADSL service not their Cable
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 19:46   #10
BlackSabbath
Inactive

m really sorry ... But WIRELESS IS ON THE WAY .... VM is tying up with Netgear to offer Wireless broadband service ... hey guys , i shall come up with some links ...

gimem some time
Old 08-10-2007, 19:55   #11
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
m really sorry ... But WIRELESS IS ON THE WAY .... VM is tying up with Netgear to offer Wireless broadband service ... hey guys , i shall come up with some links ...

gimem some time
I think i heard a rumor about this sometime ago isn't it basically a netgear cable router that's separate to the CM ?

Still Netgear routers are usually pretty resonable bits of Kit would of course be nice if there was an option of a single box that did the CM and Router functions but still its nice to see VM realising that many people now want to connect their Laptop wirelessly.etc and offering a solution.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 20:10   #12
xspeedyx

vm are trialing a router but no information as too when it will be released cant be far anyways but I hate wireless as mine never seems to work lol I am happy with my wired setup well once my hub turns up
Old 08-10-2007, 20:31   #13
BlackSabbath
Inactive

OK .. i was able to dig up some data ....

The router they are providing to customers is Netgear WGR614v6 Wireless Router.

If the customer doesn’t already have a wireless adapter or wireless enabled laptop, they can provide an adapter too. These are either Netgear WG111 for desktops or WG511 for laptops.Customer will be able to purchase the stuff from Sales or through Customer Relations.

if i get more data , i shall forward them too ....

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

here's more : This Router would normally cost £40 . If you are on 4Mb or 20 Mb its free for you ... 2 Mb customers would be the scapegoates !!! [] . THe wireless cards would would however cost £30 to all . And guys , VM has allready started to deploy these routers as a trial offer and very soon it could be availed by all .

Guys , lets invite all those "LUCKY VM CUSTOMERS" who have got the router ... ne 1 here ????