Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 29-03-2024, 08:23   #421
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Good point. One parent in a previous link
apologised to their now adult children for buying them smartphones as children after explaining that, at the time, he simply wasn't aware of the damage that they could do or how addictive they could be.
I wondered what their children thought of that?

Pussies.

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ----------

Quote:
This programme looks at the indifference by social media companies regarding the deaths of children due to their inaction.

Deny, delay & deflect seems to be their strategy, but a psychologist says he lost sleep for weeks after viewing some if the posts in question.

The coroner for one child says that these posts affected her mental health in a negative way and contributed to her death in a more than minimal way (suicide.)

Generative AI is a new threat on the horizon as it can sound and act like a human, but it just "spews lies" and is said to be a threat to democracy. A Nobel Peace Prize journalist said that she was worried in 2016, but that 2024 will be a tipping point and elections could be impacted by this. She days she's gone from being a passionate supporter of new technology, to a skeptic and is now an activist against it.

The programme asks if, after 20 years, Silicon Valleys radical experiment to connect the world about to implode.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001xlsl
Surely the answer is to modify the current arrangements so that the people who upload this stuff can be identified, banned and where appropriate, prosecuted.

The online safety legislation puts impossible obligations on social media companies to remove these posts as soon as they appear. How on Earth do you make that work?

Talk about a cask-handed way of tackling a problem!
Old 29-03-2024, 08:52   #422
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

If it gets too much then they could make the minimum age required to use social media to something like 18. If any child is affected by content then the responsibility lies with the child or the parents only.
Old 29-03-2024, 17:04   #423
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Right, because no "child" wanting access ever puts in a false DOB.
If children gain access by lying (and no age verification is legally required) and something terrible happened as a result, this would be a defence by the website as to why an under age child was on their platform.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 17:13   #424
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Every website that ever asks me for my DoB gets a false one, unless it’s a legal requirement for them to have it. I don’t trust any website to be secure in the long run so I don’t give information that makes identity theft that much easier.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 18:29   #425
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Every website that ever asks me for my DoB gets a false one, unless it’s a legal requirement for them to have it. I don’t trust any website to be secure in the long run so I don’t give information that makes identity theft that much easier.
I do too for the same reasons. Not sure if children would think to do this, but they'd be advised to.

However, if they create an age that gives them access to a site that they shouldn't be on then this can cause problems for them further down the line.
Old 29-03-2024, 18:34   #426
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do too for the same reasons. Not sure if children would think to do this, but they'd be advised to.

However, if they create an age that gives them access to a site that they shouldn't be on then this can cause problems for them further down the line.
No, Richard, this is completely the wrong approach. Simply deny the right of children to have access to social media until they are of a suitable age. Oh, wait...parents can do that already! Well, well.
Old 29-03-2024, 18:39   #427
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

I have actively encouraged my kids to give a false DoB, not to get round age restrictions but simply for data security.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 18:41   #428
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have actively encouraged my kids to give a false DoB, not to get round age restrictions but simply for data security.
Not that they need any encouragement, Chris. They're not stupid. Stupidity seems to be reserved for the majority of adults, sadly.
Old 29-03-2024, 19:15   #429
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, Richard, this is completely the wrong approach. Simply deny the right of children to have access to social media until they are of a suitable age. Oh, wait...parents can do that already! Well, well.
If all parents were to take an interest & and had the technical knowledge to adequately police their children's activity on the internet, then most problems could be resolved before they got out of hand.

Unfortunately, some don't/aren't and their children deserve protection too.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:22   #430
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-68688133

Quote:
Scotland's new hate crime law has come into force. The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act criminalises threatening or abusive behaviour intended to stir up hatred based on certain characteristics - including age, disability, sexual orientation and transgender identity.
It's been criticised for not including incidents based on gender.

From on online point if view I think this could become messy as someone breaking this law has to post their remarks whilst in Scotland. If they live near the border, they could simply drive into England to do it and someone in Scotland could post something that is unlawful that wouldn't be in England, NI or Wales!

Will websites be required to note the location of contributors in order to assess if a user has broken the law or not? Accotding to Radio 4 this morning, the police have said that they will investigate all complaints.

I think that this could well be the first law since devolution that will affect people outside Scotland.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:40   #431
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-68688133

From on online point if view I think this could become messy as someone breaking this law has to post their remarks whilst in Scotland. If they live near the border, they could simply drive into England to do it and someone in Scotland could post something that is unlawful that wouldn't be in England, NI or Wales!

Will websites be required to note the location of contributors in order to assess if a user has broken the law or not? Accotding to Radio 4 this morning, the police have said that they will investigate all complaints.

I think that this could well be the first law since devolution that will affect people outside Scotland.
A stupid crazy win for the minority snowflakes... What a waste of police time.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:57   #432
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I criticise it for specifying any characteristics. Why is threatening or abusive behaviour ever acceptable?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 18:01   #433
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

This post on twitter (X) is hilarious and goes someway to explain the stupidity of the bill.

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/...20991188140135
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 19:42   #434
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
This post on twitter (X) is hilarious and goes someway to explain the stupidity of the bill.

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/...20991188140135
Yep that about sums it up.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 22:19   #435
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I criticise it for specifying any characteristics. Why is threatening or abusive behaviour ever acceptable?
It's not and it's against the law for someone to do this to anybody, as it should be.

I think that the Scottish legislators have recognised that certain members of society are more vulnerable to verbal & physical attack because of who they are.

Their hope is that this new law will make the perpetrators think twice before doing it or result in a more harsh sentence if the attack was in fact a hate crime.