Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Old 02-03-2006, 15:03   #1
kriscorrie
Inactive

kriscorrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Hello,

Im almost certain that this problem is a hardware fault with the router, but im looking for some confirmation. (Please Help)

Ok i bought a Belkin 54G (Model:F5D7230uk4) from PC World yesterday. I took it home and ran through the very good setup utility in order to set my modem and router up correctly. Everything went really smoothly, and i was happily connecting to the internet through both the computer that connects directly to the router and wirelessly through another computer using a USB adapter. However, after around 10-15mins my connection died, when i investigated it appeared that my router had "crashed". (the "Power" and "Wireless" LED indicators had both went blank, and the LAN LED for my local computer had turned to orange). So i rebooted the NTL modem and the router as well as my PC, this appeared to fix the problem until after another 10 mins the same happened again.

As i said im almost certain that theres a hardware fault on the router, but i wonder if anyone has experienced similar issues with a Belkin Router, or if anyone sees something obvious that could be causing the connection to "crash"?

thanks in advance

kristofer
kriscorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2006, 15:08   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

to the forum kris. We are suddenly getting a lot of threads on here that all describe symptoms very similar to yours. I am not a router expert but I will be very interested to hear what our more technically-minded members have to say about this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 15:19   #3
kriscorrie
Inactive

thanks for the welcome sir, very much appreciated!

yeah i made the classic noob mistake of not using the search function before making a post, ive subsequently seen more than a couple of similar sounding problems.

perhaps those people that have posted previously have now found a solution and would be willing to share it with us?

as i said im almost certain theres a "known" hardware fault in this model of router, but the question is do i replace with like for like (i.e assume it was a bad batch) or opt for a different brand of router altogether?
Old 02-03-2006, 15:21   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

At the moment I don't know if there is a common problem or not, otherwise I might have indulged in a little thread-merging. We shall have to wait and see...
Old 02-03-2006, 16:52   #5
Gster
Inactive

Gster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the EXACT same problem, it all dies apart from a orange light. Was just on here to ask for help :P

It also happens even if the other computer is on or off. I talked to Belkin and got this

Quote:
Raymond Gray: Please connect the computer to the LAN port on the router and connect the modem to the Internet/WAN port, using Ethernet cables.
Raymond Gray: Please take a paper clip and insert the paper clip on the reset hole of the router and hold it for 40 seconds.
Raymond Gray: The power light will flash and then come back ON solid, indicating that the router is being restored to factory defaults.
Raymond Gray: The corresponding lights on the front of the router should be lit up.
Raymond Gray: On the computer, check if you have an IP address in the range of 192.168.2.x
Raymond Gray: If not, specify a static IP address, gateway and DNS by following the steps at http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2824
Raymond Gray: Log on to the router web interface at http://192.168.2.1
Raymond Gray: By default, the password is blank.
Raymond Gray: Click on Connection Type in the left hand column under Internet WAN heading and configure the settings for your ISP.
Raymond Gray: This will fix the issue.
Just gonna try that now. Oh and for connection type its says NTL is dynamic, is that correct?
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 18:00   #6
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

If it helps at all....I was in PC World 2 weeks ago buying a new router, and there was a chap in there returning the Belkin model you have. After listening to the guy for 20 mins, it turns out he had already returned 6 of them over the last few weeks, all with similar problems you are having.
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 22:57   #7
Gster
Inactive

I dont think its a router fault, i think its more of a settings fault.

And is my IP classed as static or dynamic?
Old 02-03-2006, 23:05   #8
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

on your local network you can use static or dynamic ip addressing, but your router must be set to obtain it's ip from the ntl networking using dhcp.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 23:31   #9
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

guys, NTL is dynamic ip what I normally say to my mates is to clone the mac address of your computer that is connected to the NTL modem.

on the issue with the 7230 its strange havent seen it myself at all yet.

Kris you said an orange light went on where was it same for you Gster and were any of the other lights on??
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:08   #10
kriscorrie
Inactive

mmm the plot thickens,

i returned my router to PC World last night in favour of a replacement, as i stood in the queue at the returns desk, i noticed that the 4 people in front of me where all carrying belkin routers or adapters of one desrciption or another. (gods honest truth).

So ive taken a direct replacement and will attempt to set it up this eveining. Ill report on here later how i get on.

thanks for your support so far,

kristofer
Old 03-03-2006, 11:19   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It is beginning to sound like a very large, very bad batch of Belkin products.

If this one doesn't work, get a refund from PC World and buy a Linksys WRT54g instead.
Old 03-03-2006, 18:06   #12
Gster
Inactive

hmm, brought mine from Tesco, but could be part of the same batch i guess, i would have thought maybe there would be a story about it though.

Quote:
but your router must be set to obtain it's ip from the ntl networking using dhcp.
The router has a option for me to fill that in myself or do it automatic, would it be best to fill this in myself? and would that just be in the properties within my network?

Rather than returning for another faulty (if thats the problem) router i would like to try other avenues but arnt the most technical when it comes to routers DCHP and mac addresses

Quote:
clone the mac address of your computer that is connected to the NTL modem.
how would i go about doing that,

and yes i get the orange light like the other guy. The problems are very similar so im wondering if its a NTL thing and the routers need setting up specifically for NTL or it is a VERY large batch fault.
Old 03-03-2006, 20:25   #13
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Seem to recall someone posting a link to a US Belkin site which mentioned refunds/replacements for certain routers which were not performing as they should. Maybe connected?

[Edit]

Link

http://www.belkin.com/support/networkRefund.asp
Old 03-03-2006, 21:30   #14
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster
hmm, brought mine from Tesco, but could be part of the same batch i guess, i would have thought maybe there would be a story about it though.

The router has a option for me to fill that in myself or do it automatic, would it be best to fill this in myself? and would that just be in the properties within my network?

Rather than returning for another faulty (if thats the problem) router i would like to try other avenues but arnt the most technical when it comes to routers DCHP and mac addresses

how would i go about doing that,

and yes i get the orange light like the other guy. The problems are very similar so im wondering if its a NTL thing and the routers need setting up specifically for NTL or it is a VERY large batch fault.
Gster what I wanted to know of you is which lights go Orange on the router and if there are any other lights on at the same time
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 21:43   #15
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybaby
If it helps at all....I was in PC World 2 weeks ago buying a new router, and there was a chap in there returning the Belkin model you have. After listening to the guy for 20 mins, it turns out he had already returned 6 of them over the last few weeks, all with similar problems you are having.
how bizarre - same happened to me a year ago when I went back to return my belkin pre n utterly unreliable crap to pcworld - i'd be in the room next to the router and get no wireless signal. he wasnt returning one but was telling me about other people he knows having problems.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote