Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Old 26-07-2007, 13:05   #1
michaelwr
Inactive

michaelwr is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Hi,

Rang up Virgin with this query but got put through to an irrelevant department. It would be lovely if someone here could shed some light on what I wanted to know.

I'm interested in subscribing to Virgin's cable broadband service. However, I live in a house with four other people, each owning their own computer, and we want to set up a wireless router so the internet connection can be easily shared between us.

I assume it's just a simple case of replacing the standard modem with a wireless cable mode, something like this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97221

I'm tech savvy, but I want to ensure I have all the right equipment available to me when it's time to install.

Thanks!
michaelwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2007, 13:12   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Nope. The VM modem will plug into a cable router which then pumps out the feed to the PCs.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 13:13   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

to Cable Forum

Since virgin don't "support" as in offer help assistance, on routers, you won't get any clear info from them

You have to use the Virgin Media supplied cable modem. That is coded to your account.

Cable and ADSL (BT type phone lines) operate differently for broadband. A combined cable modem and router does not exist for Virgin Media Broadband.

Routers with or without wireless are readily available for use with cable, just make sure you don't get one with a built in ADSL modem.

Set up is simple. First ensure you know your cable braodband works by having one PC connected direct to the modem by ethernet. Now power off modem and PC, connect ethernet between modem and WAN port of router, connect ethernet between LAN port of router and PC. Boot up, check internet is working, and then configure the wireless setup.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 13:48   #4
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

You need to keep your cable modem provided by VirginMedia. Just get yourself a Belkin Wireless G Router, it has 4 wired ports and has wireless functionality.
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 21:44   #5
michaelwr
Inactive

michaelwr is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, so wireless without modem is plugged into Virgin modem... Not too bothered about having to use the Virgin one so long as it talks to the wireless!

Thanks so much for all the help!
michaelwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 08:24   #6
rmiller
Inactive

rmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I'm having similar problems. My existing connection is by a Virgin Media cable from wall socket with a SMC USB adapter into a USB socket on my laptop and it works fine. However, I want to connect the router to my cable input and use my laptop with wireless networking built-in, without having to have a desktop as well, ie cable input from wall socket-router-wireless to laptop. I bought a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, but its connection instructions insist on me having a desktop connected to one of the yellow coded outlets as well. This is exactly what I don't want!

Any clues please?

Richard
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 09:27   #7
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Hi all
I'm having similar problems. My existing connection is by a Virgin Media cable from wall socket with a SMC USB adapter into a USB socket on my laptop and it works fine. However, I want to connect the router to my cable input and use my laptop with wireless networking built-in, without having to have a desktop as well, ie cable input from wall socket-router-wireless to laptop. I bought a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, but its connection instructions insist on me having a desktop connected to one of the yellow coded outlets as well. This is exactly what I don't want!

Any clues please?

Richard

The only reason you would need to have a desktop connected is to initially configure the router
mrmistoffelees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 09:32   #8
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Unfortunately, most routers require a temporary cabled connection to a computer to set them up. Doesn't your laptop have an ethernet port? If not have you got a mate with a laptop that does? Once the broadband and wireless are setup, you then don't need to have any PC plugged into the router.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 10:10   #9
Valerian
Inactive

Valerian is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys new to this so, will this do the same job ??
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch
Valerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 10:17   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
hi guys new to this so, will this do the same job ??
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch

If you are using a Virgin Cable Modem, then yes a WRT54GL will do you fine as a Wireless router.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 10:38   #11
Valerian
Inactive

Valerian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

If you are using a Virgin Cable Modem, then yes a WRT54GL will do you fine as a Wireless router.
thanks , appreciate it
Valerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 13:16   #12
Speedy
Inactive

Speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, im new to this forum.

Can someone please provide a diagram on how to connect the wireless please?
Even a cheesy one drawn on Paint will do

Also, do i still need a USB adapter for my PC if i have the VM cable modem?

Thanks in advance, Speedy

EDIT: Is the Linksys WRT54GL compatible with a Netgear WG111 USB adapter?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 13:34   #13
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Hi, im new to this forum.

Even a cheesy one drawn on Paint will do

Also, do i still need a USB adapter for my PC if i have the VM cable modem?

Thanks in advance, Speedy

EDIT: Is the Linksys WRT54GL compatible with a Netgear WG111 USB adapter?

Do you not have an installation manual ?
Old 09-08-2007, 13:40   #14
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

Not all my apply but take your pick of these!

This may apply:

Old 09-08-2007, 13:42   #15
Speedy
Inactive

Speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Do you not have an installation manual ?
Sorry, i forgot to tell you, i havent bought the stuff yet, i want to make sure everything is compatible before i do.

BTW, LSainsbury, thanks for that find But i dont need an Ethernet Router with VM do i?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote