Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin F5d7230-4 - NTL / Virgin Media Cable Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin F5d7230-4 - NTL / Virgin Media Cable Modem

Old 14-04-2007, 18:18   #16
Russell
Inactive

Russell is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin F5d7230-4 - NTL / Virgin Media Cable Modem

Yep. Done all that. :-(
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2007, 21:23   #17
punkoiuk
Inactive

punkoiuk is an unknown quantity at this point
similar problems with routers too

Hello

It does look like there is something going on. We started having router problems related to DHCP. We could connect a pc directly, but the modem would not pick up the DHCP server - the LAN worked fine, just not the WAN.

NTL/Virgin came out and said there was nothing wrong, it must be our router - although we did managed to get a cable modem out of them rather than having to go through the settop box all the time.

We got a new router (SMC) - thought great it is working but within around 20 mins it stopped. We had to go in, turn off our router firewall and then release and renew the DHCP for the router then enable the firewall again. It will then be ok for a little while (less than an hour) then do exactly the same again. Yet it is fine when the pc connect straight in without the router.

The message in the log file says...
04/14/2007 21:05:16 DHCP Client: Could not find DHCP daemon to get information

It seems very strange that too routers have acted similarly - I am having doubts if our old one was really broken.

The only hardware setting I could think it is would be some sort of time out - but I cannot see anything on the router.

I think it is time for me to go back to Virgin to ask what is going on, in the meantime any suggestions appreciated.
punkoiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 09:54   #18
shudupanddance
Inactive

shudupanddance is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Dunno, but maybe some of the service status updates were causing the problems that we are having?
shudupanddance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 23:10   #19
punkoiuk
Inactive

punkoiuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

My problem seems to have been fixed. I emailed Virgin, so they have either done something and not yet told me - or update the firmware for my router now seems to let me run the router firewall without the DHCP problems.

Cheers
punkoiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 19:22   #20
Russell
Inactive

Russell is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad to hear that its now working for punkiouk.
However, it's still broken for me. :-(

BTW, I emailed Virgin on April 14, but as yet, no reply.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 19:46   #21
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I'm glad to hear that its now working for punkiouk.
However, it's still broken for me. :-(

BTW, I emailed Virgin on April 14, but as yet, no reply.
I had that problem with a Linksys router when changing from STB to modem. It may have been a coincidence, but after having tried all the other options I changed the IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.11.1, rebooted everything in the correct order & that fixed it....

Don't ask me why though!
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 06:55   #22
ayjayoh21
Inactive

ayjayoh21 is an unknown quantity at this point

New Router Arrived - exactly the same.

Nothing on the WAN side.

Tearing my hair out

It is obviously a communication issues between the modem & router.

Anybody else got any ideas I could try.
ayjayoh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 12:54   #23
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

like i said already , clone the routers MAC on the PC lan card , get that MAC working there as a direct connection , then plug your router back in and see if the WAN is now filled in on its internal web page and you can ping a site off the router.

dont forget to clear the PC lan card of the cloned routers MAC and reset everything after, it should then be fine......

this rebol script might be useful for telling you the current WAN/LAN
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34265059-post10.html
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 07:59   #24
ayjayoh21
Inactive

FIXED

Thanks for the advice popper. Couldn't work out how to clone the MAC address to the network card. But I've managed to fix it anyway.

After trying 2 belkin routers and a linksys - with all 3 showing the same problems, I decided to try something else.

My modem was in my living room - next to my tv, and my 'main' pc was in my dining room. 20 foot away. I decided to try a new cable. Don't know why as the internet was obviously working when connected directly to the pc.

I plugged the cable into the router and away it went. I set up the linksys router in 2 minutes. Tried again with the Belkin router - success again.

I tried the cable installed by ntl again - nothing.

So, my orignal config was
modem . . . . .network cable . . . . . socket . . . . . network cable. . . . . . pc - which worked

I then tried to include a router
modem . . . . .network cable. . . . . socket . . . . . network cable . . . . . . router . . . . . network cable. . . . .pc - which didnt work.

I know have

modem . . . . .network cable . . . . . . router . . . . . network cable . . . . .pc

I removed the old cable & RJ45 socket - hey presto, everything working.

I haven't got a clue why. But I reconfigured other desk top & 3 laptops for new network without a problem.
My daughter was complaining of continual 'sign outs' on msn last night on both a wired & wireless pc. Downloads kept stopping (Anti virus / Windows updates) for me so there is still a problem with the connection dropping, but I think this is more likely to be a Viring issue. At least I hope it is.
Old 23-04-2007, 08:01   #25
ayjayoh21
Inactive

Thanks again to all who helped.

Still getting frequent disconnects.

Router or Virgin ? That is the question.
Old 23-04-2007, 13:35   #26
kraized
Inactive

Services: VM VIP with extra STB.
kraized is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently purchased the above router as my excellent Linksys WRT54G died

I had it setup and working in around 10 minutes though the supposedely "Easy Setup Wizard" thingy didn't work for me so I setup it up manually just by entering the routers IP address in my browser. I did have tp reboot my modem and router a few times though for everything to work properly.
kraized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 18:46   #27
Harry_Hainsworth
Inactive

Harry_Hainsworth is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been having problems with my
Belkin F5d7230-4 - NTL / Virgin Media Cable Modem
for some time now. regularly it would fail with just modem and power LED on.
I have replaced it with a LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router witha speed boost feature. After a while i managed to configure it OK and it works brilliantly - and faster than the Bellkin -- Best of only £39 refurbished from Amazon
Harry_Hainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 00:35   #28
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

A GS.... You should have got a GL. If your GS is version 4 or above then it's only got 2 MB memory so you can't flash with third party firmware like DD-WRT.

My GL is quite fast, they're cheaper and more powerful. Way better than the F5D-7230-4 which I still haven't decided what to do with. Might put it downstairs and use it to extend the network coverage.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 11:54   #29
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

At the moment i've got an old Linksys router that i have to reset 7 or 8 times a day to keep the my pc online. Anyway i'm just looking at ebay for a new router and thought about bidding on one like ours (F5D7230uk4). Hope they aren't as bad the one i'm using at the moment.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 23:29   #30
shudupanddance
Inactive

shudupanddance is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had a RMA replacement from v4(firmware 6.0.0.21) to v7 on the Belkin router, and it is now working properly. Looks like they changed the pcb inside, it is now running off 9V DC as opposed to 4.5V DC

Don't know what they did but I'm happy, the router no longer crashed like the old one with just the modem light lit. (power light off).
shudupanddance is offline   Reply With Quote