Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who

Old 26-10-2023, 08:18   #751
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who

Return confirmed for SATURDAY 25 November.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/25/docto...nnant-19721454
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2023, 00:59   #752
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I think that was pretty much a given already, considering its original air date was Nov 23rd.

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

A new (well, updated) theme tune as well.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...28794630717704

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 20:20   #753
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think that was pretty much a given already, considering its original air date was Nov 23rd.

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

A new (well, updated) theme tune as well.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...28794630717704
Not bad, but the 1963 version was better.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 19:25   #754
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

First one i watched in a long while, pretty good
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 21:32   #755
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Really enjoyed it and loved the take on the Star Beast. Was such a great comic.

New TARDIS interior is gorgeous.
Old 26-11-2023, 22:38   #756
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Do Disney ONLY have the international distribution rights or do they have a hand in production as well? I heard the production values would go up as a result of the Disney deal but have since heard Disney have nothing to do with the making of the show.

Or was it a precondition of the distribution deal that 'x' amount of the money has to go to improve production values?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 22:58   #757
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Do Disney ONLY have the international distribution rights or do they have a hand in production as well? I heard the production values would go up as a result of the Disney deal but have since heard Disney have nothing to do with the making of the show.

Or was it a precondition of the distribution deal that 'x' amount of the money has to go to improve production values?
The final tile on the end credits looks like this:

Which sort of implies Disney is acknowledged as having a role in the commissioning of the series rather than simply being a buyer of the distribution rights. Whatever the strict legal arrangement I think it’s inconceivable that they would put that much money into it and not expect to see it being used in the production.

And it is - the FX budget on yesterday’s episode is reported to have been equivalent to an entire season’s FX budget from the last time Tennant was the Doctor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5397.jpeg (26.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 26-11-2023, 23:03   #758
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Also, FX has moved in in the last 13 years, in reduction in cost and ease of production
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 23:26   #759
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

They have international distribution rights and have contributed toward the budget
However they have no say in the shows content
Old 27-11-2023, 00:43   #760
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I love the new clean/white Tardis look.

On the whole I enjoyed this episode/special.
Certainly far more than the previous few seasons.
I did cringe at the blatent woke dig near the end, but it didnt spoil it overall. 6/10.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 09:56   #761
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I have it recorded, but not watched it yet as all the chatter i have heard has said that it pushes the pro-noun police at you.

but as it's Tennant, I may still watch it.
Old 27-11-2023, 10:13   #762
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I have it recorded, but not watched it yet as all the chatter i have heard has said that it pushes the pro-noun police at you.

but as it's Tennant, I may still watch it.
Personally I didn't think anything was pushed at you. It was just there as part of the story. Some people are just scared of topics that are current and fairly important.
Old 27-11-2023, 10:26   #763
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Personally I didn't think anything was pushed at you. It was just there as part of the story. Some people are just scared of topics that are current and fairly important.
They did, actually. In Donna’s mum’s house, talking to the Meep, the Doctor addresses Meep as ‘he’ and gets a short sharp rebuke from Rose for the 21st century ‘crime’ of assuming someone’s gender. There then follows what can only be described as a template for making introductions and pronoun discovery as preferred by the trans lobby. If you watch the companion show on BBC3 (can’t remember what it’s called now, used to be Doctor Who Confidential years ago) there is a whole segment interviewing RTD and the actor playing Rose in which RTD states quite openly that his aim in doing this story with this character is to ‘normalise’ the trans lobby’s world view in public discourse.

Thankfully the episode is so good it’s possible to just roll your eyes at that segment and enjoy the rest of it for what it is - the best show-runner of the modern era, with the best Doctor/companion combination of the modern era, with a Disney-sized budget and an hour long running time.
Old 27-11-2023, 10:26   #764
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it was deliberate to make the swivel eyed loons heads explode, as well as being good fun. It succeeded in both
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 10:52   #765
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They did, actually. In Donna’s mum’s house, talking to the Meep, the Doctor addresses Meep as ‘he’ and gets a short sharp rebuke from Rose for the 21st century ‘crime’ of assuming someone’s gender. There then follows what can only be described as a template for making introductions and pronoun discovery as preferred by the trans lobby. If you watch the companion show on BBC3 (can’t remember what it’s called now, used to be Doctor Who Confidential years ago) there is a whole segment interviewing RTD and the actor playing Rose in which RTD states quite openly that his aim in doing this story with this character is to ‘normalise’ the trans lobby’s world view in public discourse.

Thankfully the episode is so good it’s possible to just roll your eyes at that segment and enjoy the rest of it for what it is - the best show-runner of the modern era, with the best Doctor/companion combination of the modern era, with a Disney-sized budget and an hour long running time.
Maybe I'm just ok with things and can accept that people have different thoughts and feeling and it's just a bit of respect to treat someone how they expect or wish to be addressed.

I mean if your name was Simon and people kept calling you Frank I'm sure you get pretty annoyed and fed up. This is similar to that. Referring to someone as them/they if they want shouldn't be a big deal.

So in my eyes nothing is forced forced on you or shoved in your face. It just part of the story talking about issues that trans people face everyday. If people have issues with that then surely that's their mindset that's the problem and not what the show is making reference to.