Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who

Old 17-04-2022, 22:53   #646
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I hope they dont ruin that memory as well.
I am sure they will. Everybody (apart from me) has done nothing but moan about Dr Who for the last couple of years so i can't imagine it will be any different going forward.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2022, 22:56   #647
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Not just Ace but Tegan is back also. Amazing.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:42   #648
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I gave up round about Ecclestone/David Tennant.It went downhill after that.Not watched it since.
Old 18-04-2022, 10:15   #649
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Chibnall can’t write for families. That much is now abundantly clear. The story ideas in last night’s episode were great but there was far too much going on for the running time. It’s as if he plotted out an entire season of Broadchurch proportions then had to condense it into 50 minutes. Then, he assumes he has to tell the kids what’s going on rather than showing them and letting them think and engage with the story, so the script is saddled with huge amounts of repetitive, expository dialogue. The Doctor basically becomes the narrator.

I think Jodie has done a superb job. She is undoubtedly the Doctor, which was no small feat for the first female actor to play the role after more than 50 years. But, through no fault of her own, her era isn’t going to shine among the greats.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 22:59   #650
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The New Year special was ok ... ish.

Just watched them spoil my memories of the Seas Devils tonight, in another poor story.

The best part was the trailer for her long overdue departure in the Autumn.
Its going to have Ace I loved her as a companion, I hope they dont ruin that memory as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I gave up round about Ecclestone/David Tennant.It went downhill after that.Not watched it since.
I binned it at Peter Calpadi, He could, and should have, been a great Dr. But the scripts and stories were dire.

Then Jodie Whittaker, Well we had to take a big run up to jump that shark. Call me whatever you want, but she is not the Doctor…….in my opinion.
Old 19-04-2022, 00:13   #651
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Jodie Whittaker was a PC/Woke choice, a large number of her early stories have been PC/Woke based - that did die off somewhat until the recent specials when they [of course] had to go for the whole lesbian theme with Yaz.

The stories themselve just got more ludicrous - the whole Flux thing, which was almost incomprehensible, and the Timeless Child nonsense. Chibnall has managed to destroy in 4 years what was built up over the previous 12. When I look back at so many of the amazing episodes (esp with Tennant and Smith) its sad how low its fallen.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 15:37   #652
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Jodie Whittaker was a PC/Woke choice, a large number of her early stories have been PC/Woke based - that did die off somewhat until the recent specials when they [of course] had to go for the whole lesbian theme with Yaz.
The series since the revival has been 'woke' in that it was fairly good at being agnostic around sex and gender (and species) along with dealing with many other issues in a way that worked. When the main character is a 900 old Time Lord (potentially) flirting with a sentient tree, then issues around sex, gender or race aren't that difficult if you know what you're doing as a showrunner.

Where the Chibnall series has fallen down is removing all subtlety about the issues they're trying to deal with - but that is true for all the stories. It's been so much 'tell not show' that it doesn't let people make their own mind up about the issues.

Quote:
The stories themselve just got more ludicrous - the whole Flux thing, which was almost incomprehensible, and the Timeless Child nonsense. Chibnall has managed to destroy in 4 years what was built up over the previous 12. When I look back at so many of the amazing episodes (esp with Tennant and Smith) its sad how low its fallen.
Unfortunately I think that is true no matter what gender The Doctor was or who was playing them.

Last edited by BenMcr; 19-04-2022 at 15:41.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 17:02   #653
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Had no interest in it since Tennant left.

From what I've read over the years I haven't missed anything entertaining
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 18:39   #654
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think shows just run of steam eventually. There is only so much you can do and before long the writers' are writing with less passion and creativity and instead are just monotonous slogging through scripts. It's obvious when a show has writers who are excited by what they're doing and when they're just doing a job.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 21:25   #655
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think shows just run of steam eventually. There is only so much you can do and before long the writers' are writing with less passion and creativity and instead are just monotonous slogging through scripts. It's obvious when a show has writers who are excited by what they're doing and when they're just doing a job.
Isn't that why DW has survived though? You can change the lead characters, writers, stories from week to week, or total direction if the programme. No other series has such flexibility.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 21:30   #656
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's obvious when a show has writers who are excited by what they're doing and when they're just doing a job.
Stargate is the perfect example for that. Literally every person you speak to who was involved in the production at any level will tell you what an amazing job it was to have and how much they loved it and the writers are no exception. It is a joy listening to them go through their stories, creative process and memories of their experience.
Old 20-04-2022, 15:00   #657
General Maximus
Ran Away

Old 08-05-2022, 13:14   #658
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123. New doctor who actor announced.. a solid refresh.
Old 08-05-2022, 13:18   #659
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

My kids are delighted, they love him in Sex Education
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 13:31   #660
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I guess a black Doctor was inevitable
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote