Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 50mb connection issues and I need some network advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

50mb connection issues and I need some network advice

Old 04-01-2011, 20:37   #1
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
50mb connection issues and I need some network advice

First off I upgraded from a 20mb to 50mb connection about 3 months ago and to be honest I'm not very impressed. Unfortunatelly I've been busy with university studys so I've not had time to look into this since its been upgraded.

When the engineer came out he did not even take an wifi adaptor out. He only made sure that I could connect to the internet using a ethernet cable. I tried to connect one of my machines and could not find the router. I told him that I would try and ping the router. He gave me a blank look when I mentioned pinging the router.

To cut a long story short I've not impress with the dlink 615 as it response is dead slow and it does not pick up all my devices. Even though Speedtest.net says I'm getting a faster speed but the response is so slow. So for the moment I've removed the 615 and I am now using my almost 6 year old router.

Can someone help with this?

Secondly I need some advice with my network setup. I currently have the following devices

1 X xbox 360 (ethernet connection to the router)
1 X PC Win 7 HP (wireless N pci card)
1 X Dell Dimension setup as a web server ('b'/'g' usb wifi adaptor)
1 X Acer Aspire One netbook (wifi built in 'g')
1 X Dell laptop (work laptop that uses 'g')
1 X iPhone 4

I've got two routers one 6 year old safecom and the other dlink615. I have the dlink DWA-140 N adaptor but cannot get it to work.

From a security point of view whats the best way to setup my home webserver and my private network?

My usage is as follows. Online gaming through the xbox, surfing the internet from the rest of the devices, serving web pages, streaming movies from my win7 pc to xbox(this kind of works but sometimes has to buffer during the movie every couple of minutes).

Should I buy another N router?
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2011, 22:02   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: 50mb connection issues and I need some network advice

The dlink can only do Wireless G or N, as most of your devices are G the router will revert to wireless G only.

The d-link comes as standard on wireless channel 6 which is usually the worst one, try changing that. Also windows xp machines need to be tweaked by using tcp optimizer.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 18:44   #3
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

Thanks I understand that and will try that. I was wondering whether its better to setup two networks one for G and one for N?
Old 07-01-2011, 21:21   #4
funkyCable

OK, I have the dlink 615 router on and trying to connect to it form my windows 7 machine. My windows 7 machine sees the broadcast but when I connect it says "Windows was unable to connect to [my SSID name]"

The broadcasting signal is not using any encryption and the mac filtering is turned off.
Old 07-01-2011, 21:54   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Long shot but did you make your SSID the same as your old router? I did this once and I had to go to network and sharing center then click manage wireless networks then delete the connection and try again.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 22:50   #6
funkyCable

No my ssid is different between the two routers