Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 07-01-2010, 11:05   #1441
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
Re: [Merged] Snow!

Darn - I was hoping it would work on my lunch as well

oh well
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16   #1442
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Condenser boilers vents in sub-zero temperatures - sub-optimal.

Our heating didn't come on this morning, and it seems this is due to the vent freezing over; I will go home at lunch-time and gently pour warm water over it.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16   #1443
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Sharp sand will not melt the ice or snow, but it will cut into the surface of it thus assisting a bit of grit.

Cat Litter seems to be popular, but the chemicals in it are supposedly not good for the environment.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18   #1444
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
So why do carrot sales increase by 60% when it snows? Surely snowmen can't be that popular...

2 snowmen talking, 1 says "can you smell carrotts"
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35   #1445
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Just a word of thanks to the 'considerate gentlemen' who pulled up in a pick-up truck earlier and emptied the entire contents of the grit bin sited on our hill. Thanks to them the hill is now impassable to all the elderly people who live there!

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52   #1446
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Sharp sand will not melt the ice or snow, but it will cut into the surface of it thus assisting a bit of grit.

Cat Litter seems to be popular, but the chemicals in it are supposedly not good for the environment.
Technically you're correct in that Sharp sand doesn't itself melt the snow or ice. However it does absorb heat from the Sun, even the winter sun, and this raises the temperature of the ice/sand mixture. I don't know how low temperatures have to go for this to remain effective but it does work during daytime just now in the West of Scotland (-7 last night). There is refreezing overnight but the resultant sand/ice mixture isn't slippy because of the angular gritting properties of the sharp sand.

It is also a plant friendlier option as a lot of plants are salt intolerant.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 14:03   #1447
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I can't find our spade.It's hidden somewhere under the snow...

I've also not got any grit,sand or enough salt and apparently the local Co-Op has run out of salt and cat litter.
Old 07-01-2010, 15:24   #1448
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Just started snowing here again in London, visability is so poor and its really heavy again
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:37   #1449
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Just started snowing here again in London, visability is so poor and its really heavy again
what part of London is that ? I know your location says Barnet but you could be at work or something.

Was told is was snowing down near Ashford in Kent too.
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:38   #1450
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

barnet is north westish of london (M1 area)
Old 07-01-2010, 15:43   #1451
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
what part of London is that ? I know your location says Barnet but you could be at work or something.

Was told is was snowing down near Ashford in Kent too.
In the Edgware area, NW London
Old 07-01-2010, 15:46   #1452
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
In the Edgware area, NW London
thanks for letting me know. I'm two minds, in some ways I don't mind the snow moving over to my area as I could do with working from home tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2010, 15:50   #1453
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
thanks for letting me know. I'm two minds, in some ways I don't mind the snow moving over to my area as I could do with working from home tomorrow.
I was in Uxbridge area of London yesterday and it wasn't much, came back to my area and couldn't believe how much there was, was going well over my ancles.

Did you get a lot down there?
Old 07-01-2010, 16:04   #1454
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

It`s not currently snowing here in SE London but no doubt it`s on it`s way again if it`s over NW London.
We just had couple of hours "polly bagging" with the wee ones up in Greenwich park.
Not quite the Ochil or even Pentland hills but it was certainly fun.
Kinda made me a wee bit homesick in fact, more so now with those lovely pictures posted earlier in the thread
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 16:16   #1455
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
I was in Uxbridge area of London yesterday and it wasn't much, came back to my area and couldn't believe how much there was, was going well over my ancles.

Did you get a lot down there?
only been in Central London today which seems ok because of all the people.

To be honest round Bromley in SE London there are a few inches maybe 6 inches at most but prob not even that much. Hardly the mass news story this has been turned into.