Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Chancellor delivers plan for stability, growth and public services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Chancellor delivers plan for stability, growth and public services

Old 17-11-2022, 19:30   #16
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Chancellor delivers plan for stability, growth and public services

Nice (try at) recovery…

It’s difficult for people to "acknowledge the good things they’re doing" as it’s only a few weeks since they tanked the economy - it isn’t easy to have the mindset to thank the person who calls an ambulance for you after they’ve run you over in their car, then reversed over you to see what the bump was…

I wasn’t being irate, I was pointing that your sweeping generalisation was inaccurate…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 17-11-2022 at 19:37.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2022, 19:33   #17
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Keep your hair on loves I was trying to be positive. The Government is being criticised endlessly and few acknowledge the good things they’re doing. And even if you’re not getting the full benefit now, you can look forward to the future. The Government has made provision for seniors; it’s not their fault if you’re too young to have all the benefit now but keep yer peckers up eh?
Not sure if you're a secret millionaire, lottery winner, PPE manufacturing pub landlord, live in a cave on a remote Scottish island or just have very efficient blinkers and extremely selective memory but I'm struggling to think of a worse government than the one we've been encumbered with for the last few years and particularly this year. I take it you don't go shopping for food, heat your home or drive and love it when the people elected to represent you lie to your face.
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 19:56   #18
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nice (try at) recovery…

It’s difficult for people to "acknowledge the good things they’re doing" as it’s only a few weeks since they tanked the economy - it isn’t easy to have the mindset to thank the person who calls an ambulance for you after they’ve run you over in their car, then reversed over you to see what the bump was…

I wasn’t being irate, I was pointing that your sweeping generalisation was inaccurate…
Somebody else is driving the car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Not sure if you're a secret millionaire, lottery winner, PPE manufacturing pub landlord, live in a cave on a remote Scottish island or just have very efficient blinkers and extremely selective memory but I'm struggling to think of a worse government than the one we've been encumbered with for the last few years and particularly this year. I take it you don't go shopping for food, heat your home or drive and love it when the people elected to represent you lie to your face.
Permacrisis. I still think this is the best place to live in the World.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 20:21   #19
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I still think this is the best place to live in the World.
Demonstrating at least we have an effective state propaganda machine.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 20:26   #20
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Demonstrating at least we have an effective state propaganda machine.
Where would you rather live jfman?
Old 17-11-2022, 20:54   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

By Tory standards its a reasonable budget and pretty much a 180 over truss economics, it could have been far worse.

Now days though people tend to look at budgets as in "whats in it for me" and of course there will be many feeling hard done by with the tax changes.

The government I think was right to prioritise the most vulnerable.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 21:51   #22
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
By Tory standards its a reasonable budget and pretty much a 180 over truss economics, it could have been far worse.

Now days though people tend to look at budgets as in "whats in it for me" and of course there will be many feeling hard done by with the tax changes.

The government I think was right to prioritise the most vulnerable.
I will be 100% straight. I think for a good number they are giving to much. I will gladly take the £900 but in all honesty I could manage just about without it. I already pay 20% for energy more than I use building up a nice bolster cushion.( more of an accident due to my change of habits and using a lot less than I was)

I guarantee you there is a very large number of none working people with a new iphone and full Sky/Virgin package and various other luxuries those struggling on minimum wage would love to have and some that can still afford a cheeky line of coke or a bag of weed and then complain they can not afford food. I think means testing should be tighter and those on means testing budgets show what they are spending the money on and those wasting it should not get that much

With the £900 next year the 10% and the increase in benefits even with inflation I will not be much different than I am now.

I am however grateful for the energy cap even though it is going up because it is still 2K lower than estimates for next April were on Ofgems cap which would have made my life very hard indeed and at least I can budget someone for the future now although there is nothing stopping Hunt getting the sack and another backtrack I guess
Old 17-11-2022, 22:51   #23
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Somebody else is driving the car now.

Permacrisis. I still think this is the best place to live in the World.
The Tories are no longer in charge?

I thought that might have made a bigger splash in the media…
Old 17-11-2022, 23:37   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

When we discussed the 2015 election, it was quite rightly pointed out that Eds Miliband and Balls were both on the bridge even though it was other members of their party who were most responsible for running the ship of state aground in what we thought (at the time) was a massive financial crisis.

Rishi Sunak has been in cabinet for most of the last 4 years. In Hunt’s case it’s most of the last 12 years. They may not have been in charge but their hands are no cleaner than Ed Balls’ or Ed Miliband’s were.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 00:39   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Along with Braverman, Schapps, Cleverly, Wallace, Coffey, Raab, Dowden, Gove, Barclay, Mordaunt, True, Badenoch, Stride, Zawahi, Heston-Harris, Jack, etc, etc. - current members of the Cabinet, all been Ministers before.

"It wasn’t me, Guv, a big boy/girl did it and ran away" doesn’t really wash, due to the "Collective Cabinet Responsiblity" thing…
Old 18-11-2022, 01:00   #26
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

There have been stormy waters to navigate. Seasoned crew bring experience to the helm .
Old 18-11-2022, 06:57   #27
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There have been stormy waters to navigate. Seasoned crew bring experience to the helm .
No ,they keep hitting the same bloody iceberg
Old 18-11-2022, 09:29   #28
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

This isn’t 1912; there’s more than one iceberg to negotiate. Still afloat though and no red rescue boats in sight but keep blowing the whistle titch .
Old 18-11-2022, 09:36   #29
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

One big huge raspberry to this reorganised shower of a crappy government.
Old 18-11-2022, 09:42   #30
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
One big huge raspberry to this reorganised shower of a crappy government.
You’re not married to that shouty bloke who hangs out in Westminster are you Maggy? Down with everything!