Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Facebook/Meta to cut 13% of its workforce

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Facebook/Meta to cut 13% of its workforce

Old 09-11-2022, 19:13   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Facebook/Meta to cut 13% of its workforce

Following in the footsteps of twitter ..

Quote:
Meta, which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, has announced that it will cut 13% of its workforce.

The first mass lay-offs in the firm's history will result in 11,000 employees, from a worldwide headcount of 87,000, losing their jobs.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2022, 19:30   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Facebook/Meta to cut 13% of its workforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Following in the footsteps of twitter ..
TV news said that it's because he is pouring so much into creating the Metaverse and the fact that social media use didn't stay as high as it was during the pandemic as he thought it would.

They did say that they were going to take on more moderators, so maybe some of those affected may be redeployed.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 21:49   #3
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry...
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 23:00   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Metaverse is a diaster.

But also the tech industry has been in a bit of a bubble for a while and advertising will decline in a recession. Not a surprise really. Facebook/Twitter/Google all make speculative bets on things and staff up for them without a clear idea of how they'll make a profit, such as Metaverse, and cheap money will be hard to come by with interest rates going up.

There is a reason why Apple, who never do anything unless they know they can make a lot of money from it right now, are not seeing as big a drop as the rest of the industry in their share price.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 23:03   #5
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Facebook is total shit, a curse (like cyclist pelotons).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 23:09   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Metaverse is a diaster.

But also the tech industry has been in a bit of a bubble for a while and advertising will decline in a recession. Not a surprise really. Facebook/Twitter/Google all make speculative bets on things and staff up for them without a clear idea of how they'll make a profit, such as Metaverse, and cheap money will be hard to come by with interest rates going up.

There is a reason why Apple, who never do anything unless they know they can make a lot of money from it right now, are not seeing as big a drop as the rest of the industry in their share price.
Apple don’t try to invent completely new technologies or services. They look at what others have tried to do and then apply their (extremely successful) design philosophy to it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 23:25   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Apple don’t try to invent completely new technologies or services. They look at what others have tried to do and then apply their (extremely successful) design philosophy to it.
Well yes, but I would argue that's largely what Facebook and Google do as well. Both of their core products were compelling implementations of existing ideas. Facebook took the social network and focused on network effects with a clean interface and Google applied a computer science research project to the already packed world of (crappy) search engines.

I think what sets Apple apart from these companies is a narrow focus on things that they know how'll they'll monetise before they start any serious work on it. They and Microsoft are much more traditional companies.

I think Facebook and Twitter operate with the newer silicon valley mindset that you'll always be able to make money from eyeballs on your services so the important thing is to grow fast. Grow the user base or increase the time those users spend in your world.

When the economy turns, debt is no longer cheap and advertising money declines then the latter model is a lot more dangerous.

I think a lot of these service apps such as Deliveroo and Uber might be in trouble as well as they depend heavily on fast growth and access to cheap credit from their investors as to supply their customers.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 17:28   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

This all day long.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 18:11   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Absolutely.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 19:10   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well yes, but I would argue that's largely what Facebook and Google do as well. Both of their core products were compelling implementations of existing ideas. Facebook took the social network and focused on network effects with a clean interface and Google applied a computer science research project to the already packed world of (crappy) search engines.

I think what sets Apple apart from these companies is a narrow focus on things that they know how'll they'll monetise before they start any serious work on it. They and Microsoft are much more traditional companies.

I think Facebook and Twitter operate with the newer silicon valley mindset that you'll always be able to make money from eyeballs on your services so the important thing is to grow fast. Grow the user base or increase the time those users spend in your world.

When the economy turns, debt is no longer cheap and advertising money declines then the latter model is a lot more dangerous.

I think a lot of these service apps such as Deliveroo and Uber might be in trouble as well as they depend heavily on fast growth and access to cheap credit from their investors as to supply their customers.
I do hope so as these ompanies aren't fit to be in business because their customer service is abysmal and they rip off food outlets & customers alike.

Experts have said that the delivery portal industry is saturated and that at least one of the major players (Uber Eats, Deliveroo & Just Eat) will fold. We are now seeing these companies swallowing up smaller delivery companies to try and be one of the companies that stays in business.

In an effort to cut costs, all three of the major players use cheapo offshore call centres. The absolute crap & nonsense that they come out with beggars belief. They're too stupid to realise that this approach will also be costing them in lost customers/revenue.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:

Facebook is what you make it. You choose who to talk to, have as a contact or block.

All groups are voluntary, so you can ignore any that don't interest you and join any that you want to instead.

There have been some peculiar moderating decisions I agree, but this is being put down to AI or human moderators requiring extra training.

Meta have said that they will be taking on more people and improving training to improve matters, so we will shall have to wait and see.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-11-2022 at 19:05.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 20:39   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I do hope so as these ompanies aren't fit to be in business because their customer service is abysmal and they rip off food outlets & customers alike.
I've been using Just Eat for 8+ years, and Uber Eats for 2 years.
I have never had abysmal service, no do I ever feel 'ripped off'.
The delivery charges are quite clear, and its my choice to use them.

Quote:
In an effort to cut costs, all three of the major players use cheapo offshore call centres.
Call Centre ?
I've never had to call them, ever.
If my order is wrong, I use the help option, and get a refund, usually instantly.
On a couple of times they have emailed me, but have never refused a refund when I reply.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 22:01   #12
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Just Eat is great. Use it every week, never had an issue.

Never used Uber Eats, never had to.
Old 13-11-2022, 22:02   #13
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

Facebook is what you make it. You choose who to talk to, have as a contact or block.

All groups are voluntary, so you can ignore any that don't interest you and join any that you want to instead.

There have been some peculiar moderating decisions I agree, but this is being put down to AI or human moderators requiring extra training.

Meta have said that they will be taking on more people and improving training to improve matters, so we will shall have to wait and see.
You've missed the point. It is a leeching organisation and is the cause of much personal misery.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 10:49   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
You've missed the point. It is a leeching organisation and is the cause of much personal misery.
Only if YOU allow it.I personally find it a fun way to keep in touch with like minded friends.I ignore the crap.
Old 14-11-2022, 11:18   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Those delivery companies charge a lot more than is obvious. We ordered some food locally but between starting the order and finishing the delivery time went from 15 mins to 2 hours so we dropped the order and went into town. The "direct" bill was 30% at least lower than Deliveroo quoted not including delivery and admin charges.

---

Facebook is really what you make of it. My pacemaker support group use it as do some user groups. My "older" relatives often us it for communication as do overseas family.