Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NASA's Dart due to impact Dimorphos at 23:14pm ( Sept. 26, 2022.)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

Old 15-10-2022, 10:20   #1
Boaz
cf.addict

Boaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really nice
Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a good Freeview TV Recorder.

My stepmother is aged 74. She is looking for a Freeview TV Recorder, something simple for her if possible. She has no broadband. There is no USB on the back of the TV. She has 2 HDMI and a SCART socket.

Do the Freeview boxes have their own ariel installed?
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2022, 11:38   #2
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

There aren't many Freeview recorders on the market these days. You are basically looking at Manhattan and Humax.

You'll need to plug an aerial into them, you'll be able to pass through the one to her TV. i.e. You plug the current aerial from her TV into the recorder box and another aerial cable completes the circuit and goes from the recorder box to the aerial itself (e.g. the wall socket).

The most basic Manhattan currently is the T2-R, which doesn't have internet features and is cheaper as a result.
https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview-hd...n-t2r-recorder

The T3-R is a similar box, but the main difference is internet requiring features. It will work without internet though.
https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview-pl...n-t3r-recorder

Humax have a few models. Again, even though some have internet features they will work as recordable boxes without broadband being available.
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product-category/freeview/

Most modern Freeview boxes tend to not have Scart, so you'll need one of those HDMI.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 11:44   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

You may well be able to pick up a bargain on Ebay

for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165726571...Bk9SR4CF2bP7YA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285001586...Bk9SR4CF2bP7YA
Old 15-10-2022, 11:46   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I have experience with both manufacturers I mentioned, but it's mainly for Freesat. I do have a Humax Freeview recorder in the cupboard as a backup, but it's far frok a current model.

I will say two additional things. One, that my relatives, who are a similar age to your stepmother have an old Humax recorder model too and they are able to work it.

Two, I have the current basic non-recordable Manhattan Freesat box, which looks to have a similar look to its on-screen interface, and I've been very impressed with its simplicity and usability. Their recordable Freeview boxes look to work in a similar fashion so I expect they work well.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 12:45   #5
Boaz
cf.addict

Boaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really nice

Thank you cheekyangus and Jaymoss. It is much appreciated.

The issue is she has an indoor aerial that does not work so that is a big problem then.

So really, this is not an option then for her, no?
Old 15-10-2022, 12:52   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If she hasn't got a working aerial and no broadband there are zero options.

She's needs to get an aerial put in the loft or on the roof.
Old 15-10-2022, 13:04   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

or cheap internet
Old 15-10-2022, 14:27   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

This is not necessarily so, I know someone who receives Freeview via an indoor aerial. She had to sometimes tweek it between channel changes, but after DSO they increased the power and even this is no longer necessary.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 15:35   #9
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The OP already said the indoor aeriel does not work.

And as the receiver will be for recording too - you would not be able to tweak and still expect the recording channel to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This is not necessarily so, I know someone who receives Freeview via an indoor aerial. She had to sometimes tweek it between channel changes, but after DSO they increased the power and even this is no longer necessary.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 17:45   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The OP already said the indoor aeriel does not work.

And as the receiver will be for recording too - you would not be able to tweak and still expect the recording channel to be good.
I can't see where that was said. I had assumed that the indoor aerial did work, but that a PVR was now required.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 17:50   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I can't see where that was said. I had assumed that the indoor aerial did work, but that a PVR was now required.
read post 5 Richard
Old 16-10-2022, 07:56   #12
Boaz
cf.addict

Is it possible then to purchase an indoor aerial? I didn't realise you could buy them like that until it was mentioned here.

The aerial she has coming from the rooftop into the living room does not work.
Old 16-10-2022, 09:20   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Is it possible then to purchase an indoor aerial? I didn't realise you could buy them like that until it was mentioned here.

Could you not get the roof top aerial fixed, that would be the best option for a perfect signal?

Indoor aerials sitting on top of a TV would not be ideal for her especially if she has to manually adjust it from time to time, the signal won't be fantastic either.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 16-10-2022 at 09:25.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:20   #14
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It could be it just isn't connected somewhere on the route - or needs new cable. If it is really old it could now be in the wrong band for the local signals.
If you use an indoor aerial it would need to be located where it received no interference on any channels at any time - as recordings could be affected otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:27   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Have a look at estimated costs for an aerial installation.

https://householdquotes.co.uk/roof-a...llation-costs/