Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Wireless Broadband "Big Bang" Approach?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Wireless Broadband "Big Bang" Approach?

Old 02-08-2005, 11:07   #1
bravon33
Inactive

bravon33 is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL Wireless Broadband "Big Bang" Approach?

I currently have a laptop and desktop, both on dial-up to NTL (not at the same time!). What I'd like to do is to switch to broadband, but wondering if its possible to go directly to wireless and bypass the Ethernet!

The reason for this is that my computers are quite old, both about 6 years old. My laptop is running Windows 2000 and has a PCMCIA (type II) modem (and one USB 1.1 port with no Ethernet connection). The desktop is running Windows 98 SE and has an external modem connected to a COM port (also has two USB 1.1 ports). There is an Ethernet card in it but I'm not sure if its working since the PC is an old one from work that had to have its disk wiped, so I'm not sure if its got the (correct) drivers loaded (and not sure what make or model Ethernet card is to download a driver from the net, although I think its a 3COM one). As an aside, is there a way of checking if an Ethernet card if working or has the right driver without plugging it into some network? Basically, I'm not confident that I can get an Ethernet connection going on either computer!

I really need the laptop connected to the internet but the desktop is a "nice to have" for my young son to play on! The plan is that I'll get a new PC in a few years time when he's old enough to need one properly.

Now, looking at the forums and websites online, I was thinking of changing to NTL Broadband and connecting the NTL provided cable modem via an Ethernet cable to a Linksys WRT54G (Wireless G Broadband Router). Then replacing my PCMCIA modem with a Linksys WPC54G (Wireless G Notebook Adaptor). I'll come to the desktop later, but is it possible to do this (i.e. set it up without Ethernet) in a big bang approach?

Or, do I have to do something like the following - firstly, get a PCMCIA Ethernet card (I was looking at the Linksys PCM100 (10/100) - not sure whether this would be compatible with NTL Broadband?) and get the NTL guy in to install Broadband. Then I would have to set it all up by connecting the cable modem with an Ethernet cable to my laptop's PCMCIA Ethernet card. So this basically gets me started on broadband. Once this is up and running, I then get the Linksys WRT54G (Wireless G Broadband Router), and set that up by connecting the cable modem to that, and then my laptop (via another Ethernet cable) to the router. Once the router is set up, replace the PCMCIA Ethernet card with the Linksys WPC54G (Wireless G Notebook Adaptor) so I now should have my laptop wirelessed up?

As for the desktop, what I was then hoping to do (regardless of the initial setup with the router/laptop), is to try to see if the Ethernet card is working on the PC by connecting it via a cable to the router (can this be done despite the router being deemed a wireless one?) and if this works I could leave this permanently (since I'm unlikely to move the desktop about much). If that didnt work, I was considering getting a Linksys WMP54G (Wireless G PCI Adaptor) since this works with Windows 98 SE allegedly, or maybe even putting a new Ethernet card in (if it would work by connecting permanently to the wireless router via an Ethernet cable).

Another option I was considering is if I there is a way I can confirm the Ethernet card is working in the PC, to use that to do the original set up NTL broadband, and then the initial set up of the router so that I wouldnt need the PCMCIA Ethernet card.

In all of this, I've not mentioned the USB option due to both computers having the original older 1.1 versions of USB.

Anyway, as you can see, I've got a few strategies planned but have no idea which one is the best to follow, or maybe none of them would work! In which case, as someone got an alternative plan of attack?

Apologies for long message, but thanks for your time in reading it! I look forward to reading any responses!

Cheers!
bravon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2005, 11:50   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NTL Wireless Broadband "Big Bang" Approach?

to Cable Forum

Firstly the Linksys wireless routers, such as the WRT54G allow both wireless connectivity, and also have 4 LAN ethernet ports so you can hard wire computers too. A single ethernet WAN port will connect to your modem.

You won't know if your desktop's ethernet card is working until you try to plug a cable into it (cable must have a network device at the other end too ). However older network cards will probably have drivers that can easily be downloaded from the internet. Alternatively a new network card is a cheap (say £10) component, easily added to your PC.

Setting up a new network is a lot easier if you have at least one PC that can be wired connection via ethernet, so you can configure router settings. Once the wired aspects for security etc are set, then wireless setup can follow.

USB1 will allow connections to operate, just a little bit slow. You could order cable and specify that you need the ability to connect by either USB or ethernet, starting with USB but that you will later be switching, as you replace or upgrade your PCs. Many will say that ethernet is more reliable than USB simply as dedicated hardware is running the network, rather than using general computer resources needed for USB.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 14:34   #3
bravon33
Inactive

Thanks for the reply Rob!

So, from that, I believe my plan of attack is.....

1. Order cable modem from NTL and tell them I need to connect via USB (for now, but also Ethernet longer term)
2. Do initial set up of broadband by connecting the cable modem via an Ethernet cable to the USB1 port (with a dongle provided by NTL?) on my old Win98 desktop.
3. Connect up the Linksys wireless router beteen cable modem and desktop and do the intial set up of router settings including security.
4. Connect the wireless PCMCIA card to my Win2K laptop
5. So now I have a wireless laptop and wired desktop (albeit through slow USB1) - then I can play around at my leisure to try the Ethernet card properly (or get a new card) on the desktop, etc

I guess my main concern is that I switch from dial-up to broadband and find that I cant connect up so I'm left with two older computers with no internet access and a monthly bill from NTL for broadband that I cant use, and no way of going back to dial-up! I couldn't cope with that!
Old 02-08-2005, 15:14   #4
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

My original NTL BB was to a W98 desktop Celeron 333 / 96Mb ram, I quickly (within 3m) threw in an ethernet card for £10 and switched to that.

Have you looked at the hardware configuration within W98, it will probably have autodetected the Ethercard and installed a default driver.

So having an ethernet card in the machine I would attempt to start by connecting straight to that. If that works putting the router in the middle wil lbe a no brainer and then being able to configure the wireless from the wired will be simple.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 15:27   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
Alternatively a new network card is a cheap (say £10) component, easily added to your PC.

As cheap as 2 quid nowadays.

Linky
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 16:20   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
As cheap as 2 quid nowadays.

Linky
I'll have to find a new computer shop - local one is a rip off
Old 02-08-2005, 16:24   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Heh, you'll pay more in shipping than the price of the NIC
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 16:26   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravon33
Thanks for the reply Rob!

So, from that, I believe my plan of attack is.....

1. Order cable modem from NTL and tell them I need to connect via USB (for now, but also Ethernet longer term)
2. Do initial set up of broadband by connecting the cable modem via an Ethernet cable to the USB1 port (with a dongle provided by NTL?) on my old Win98 desktop.
3. Connect up the Linksys wireless router beteen cable modem and desktop and do the intial set up of router settings including security.
4. Connect the wireless PCMCIA card to my Win2K laptop
5. So now I have a wireless laptop and wired desktop (albeit through slow USB1) - then I can play around at my leisure to try the Ethernet card properly (or get a new card) on the desktop, etc
I'd get the cheapo network card and install that into the desktop now. Easier in the long run, than even faffing about with the USB. You should be supplied with a USB fitting as well as the ethernet, but not necessarily. While modems often have bith USB and ethernet ports, only one can be used at a time, so when you are ready to add your router, which will be ethernet, you would have to disconnect the USB anyway.

Then you get ntl bb installed. Plug your desktop ethernet to the new modem, and get the bb all up and running quite nicely.

Now at your leisure, aquire a router. Power down the modem, and PC, plug in router to modem and to PC. Repower and get the modem > router > desktoop ethernet setup operational.

Now you configure the wireless setup, add a wireless PCMIA card to the lappy, configure the wirelesss card and you should be done.
Old 03-08-2005, 22:59   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

id see if the 3com card in the pc is working first. saves buying a nic if you dont need one.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:18   #10
bravon33
Inactive

Thanks again for the advice, I believe I've got the Ethernet card working now.

I removed the driver that was on the card (since it was flagged up as in error anyway in device manager) that Win98 appeared to put on. I then delved inside the PC, found it was a 3COM card with a part number, searched google, found the 3com website which allowed me to download the driver. Put it on, got Win98 to use it and it now looks ok in the device manager. Sorted (hopefully!).

Now for the call to NTL to get broadband set up on the PC before getting the wireless kit.

Once again, cheers for the replies . Something tells me that I wouldn't have had the answers to my questions if I rang the NTL sales team!