Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear WGR614 Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WGR614 Problems

Old 06-05-2007, 15:18   #1
K!ngK!ll3r
Inactive

Services: 10meg, NTL Phone, SKY+ TV
K!ngK!ll3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear WGR614 Problems

What ever i try i can't connect wired or via wireless to the internet.

I have just moved house and had Virgin come round to install phone and BB, they gave me a new modem as i could'nt find my previous one which was a NTL Home 250, now i have a black think with Virgin Media on it and not much else.

Internet works fine but when i try to setup my netgear router the setup cd tells me that my computer has no NIC card installed, which i know is wrong, laptop has ethernet and wireless connections.

Not only that but if i ignore the virgin cd and use the Netgear setup install it finishes the setup saying that it worked. I reset the router.

But it dos'nt, if i connect through the router or try wireless it says there is no connection. If i then disconnect the router i lose all connection and have to restart the modem to get it to work again.

At my old address my laptop was connected wirelessly with my main pc connected directly. I had no problems connecting to the internet directly or wireless with my laptop even when i change from XP Pro to Vista on the laptop.

I can't understand how at my old address i simply added the laptop and it work no problems, now if i try anything it blocks all internet access which ever way i try to connect.

Please can some one help as this is driving me nuts.
K!ngK!ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2007, 15:25   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear WGR614 Problems

Why are you running the CD? You shouldn't even need to run the netgear setup either as it doesn't pick up the connection type properly for cable. All you need to do really is get rid of all settings on the router and either clone the MAC of the PC into it or register the router against the account properly.
I had to bypass the setup page by going to basicsettings.html (I think that is the URL in the manual) and then setting it up there.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58   #3
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I'm with Paul on this one, I had similar problem with my wireless router; cloned the MAC address of the PC internet card into the router then BINGO!!!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02   #4
K!ngK!ll3r
Inactive

Services: 10meg, NTL Phone, SKY+ TV
K!ngK!ll3r is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I'm with Paul on this one, I had similar problem with my wireless router; cloned the MAC address of the PC internet card into the router then BINGO!!!
In one of the Netgear settings at routerlogin.net i did see a bit that had a mac address allready typed in so i selected use this computrer's mac address and it still did'nt work.

If thats what your talking about.

If not then how can i check that the MAC address is the right one, can i find the info in Vista?
K!ngK!ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote