Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin N1 Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin N1 Router

Old 03-11-2007, 23:34   #1
kamakazi
Inactive

kamakazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin N1 Router

Hello

Can anyone tell me what is the best settings for this router on XL tariff.

Currently out of the box i have done the following:

1) Put on WPA-PSK security
2) Put on password to login page
3) Change wireless channel to 4
4) Changes wireless SSID name

Both my PC (belkin N1 USB adapter) and Laptop (internal card) connects but the internet connection is very slow and certain webpages do not load and times out. Speed tests constantly vary and torrents are also very slow.

I thought this was a router issues so i went back to the shop to exchange for another one, but it is still the same on the new one.

Any ideas what is wrong here? Im pretty sure its a setting issue rather than a router.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59   #2
lsproc
Inactive

lsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Belkin N1 Router

There is nothing wrong with the router or its settings.

I suspect there are issues with the network in your area, and torrents are slow anyway, never got more than 5kb/s on them :P
lsproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10   #3
vivekns007
Inactive

vivekns007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi View Post
Hello

Can anyone tell me what is the best settings for this router on XL tariff.

Currently out of the box i have done the following:

1) Put on WPA-PSK security
2) Put on password to login page
3) Change wireless channel to 4
4) Changes wireless SSID name

Both my PC (belkin N1 USB adapter) and Laptop (internal card) connects but the internet connection is very slow and certain webpages do not load and times out. Speed tests constantly vary and torrents are also very slow.

I thought this was a router issues so i went back to the shop to exchange for another one, but it is still the same on the new one.

Any ideas what is wrong here? Im pretty sure its a setting issue rather than a router.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Hi
First find out is wireless is low or wired? i vl explain to u how..connect the computer(both) directly to router and see the speed..
*if u r getting speed on wired..then problem with wireless,if both wireless computer slow.. what u can do is reduce the security from WPA/PSK to 64 bit WEP(pretty descent one).. and change the channel and ssid and wireless modem.. if only one computer with adapter is slow, and laptop works.. then reinstall adapter..
*if even , when connecting both computer to router and both are slow..
what u can do is ..1.restore the router to factory settings and reconfigure the router..
2. try updating the firmware available on Belkin Website( I u have not mentioned the Model and version no. of router so i cant say , which firmware to update)
3. Disable the Firewall and ICMP Ping block on router..
4.the final option is tr with diff modem or router on the same line, if that works fine, problem with router..if all the above steps doesnt works..still problem persits..it faulty..
thanx and regards
Vivek N
vivekns007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 19:09   #4
kamakazi
Inactive

kamakazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekns007 View Post
Hi
First find out is wireless is low or wired? i vl explain to u how..connect the computer(both) directly to router and see the speed..
*if u r getting speed on wired..then problem with wireless,if both wireless computer slow.. what u can do is reduce the security from WPA/PSK to 64 bit WEP(pretty descent one).. and change the channel and ssid and wireless modem.. if only one computer with adapter is slow, and laptop works.. then reinstall adapter..
*if even , when connecting both computer to router and both are slow..
what u can do is ..1.restore the router to factory settings and reconfigure the router..
2. try updating the firmware available on Belkin Website( I u have not mentioned the Model and version no. of router so i cant say , which firmware to update)
3. Disable the Firewall and ICMP Ping block on router..
4.the final option is tr with diff modem or router on the same line, if that works fine, problem with router..if all the above steps doesnt works..still problem persits..it faulty..
thanx and regards
Vivek N
Many thanks for the info Vivek will definitely give these a good test tomorrow.
kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 22:29   #5
cjwilliams05
Inactive

cjwilliams05 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought one of these today it seems to work through a wired connection but not wireless all of the lights are on apart from the wireless one and no computers can see it. Is this a problem with the router or am i doing something wrong??
cjwilliams05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:06   #6
vivekns007
Inactive

This is not at all a problem with router, unless anyone of the clients(wireless) connects to router you will not see the WLAN LED. and on wireless clients may be you have turned off the wireless switch? have you checked this.
If you want more help on this, instead of typing here send out an detailed description of you problem to my mail id vivekns007@yahoo.com, will answer you or try to solve it.
Old 09-08-2008, 22:01   #7
NeilH
Inactive

Services: Virgin Plus XL Broadband L I Miss My Sky + And Bt Business Broadband.
NeilH is on a distinguished roadNeilH is on a distinguished road

HOLEY MOLEY People

Read what i posted or search. lol

Upate your belkin at www.belkin.co.uk and select the right router and update the firmare that way.. Bingo.. Your router will be working fine soon :-) Mine is after that update.. And mine is a G Plus mimo. I believe this was a thorn in the side for belkin who have addressed all routers past and present to ensure this kind of thing does not happen again.

Totally irrevelant but id thought id share this with you. A guy from tonight. Belkin Router.

[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:00:56] <Ev1L_Ric0> Then look at your router manual
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:01:04] <Ev1L_Ric0> Will tell u how to apply the update
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:02:13] <the_dark_knight> ok
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:25:48] <the_dark_knight_08> u there
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:25:57] <Ev1L_Ric0> Kinda
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:26:17] <the_dark_knight_08> i updated it and my speed is even faster and constant now. you were right
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:27:05] <Ev1L_Ric0> See :-)

Neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 16:00   #8
vivekns007
Inactive

Updating Firmware is also a good idea, but unless if its problem not with router, updating doesn't make any difference. For other things yes, Updating Firmware may be helpful.
Old 10-08-2008, 16:52   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
HOLEY MOLEY People

Read what i posted or search. lol

Upate your belkin at www.belkin.co.uk and select the right router and update the firmare that way.. Bingo.. Your router will be working fine soon :-) Mine is after that update.. And mine is a G Plus mimo. I believe this was a thorn in the side for belkin who have addressed all routers past and present to ensure this kind of thing does not happen again.

Totally irrevelant but id thought id share this with you. A guy from tonight. Belkin Router.

[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:00:56] <Ev1L_Ric0> Then look at your router manual
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:01:04] <Ev1L_Ric0> Will tell u how to apply the update
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:02:13] <the_dark_knight> ok
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:25:48] <the_dark_knight_08> u there
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:25:57] <Ev1L_Ric0> Kinda
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:26:17] <the_dark_knight_08> i updated it and my speed is even faster and constant now. you were right
[Saturday 09 August 2008 21:27:05] <Ev1L_Ric0> See :-)

Neil
Different router. The N1 should be able to cope with 20 meg fine as it was released after ISPs started supporting 20 meg.

While upgrading the router firmware is often a good thing, bear in mind that if the upgrade fails in any way (due to a power cut or whatever), the router is likely to be left useless.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 11:44   #10
mvblackie
Inactive

mvblackie is an unknown quantity at this point

had the same issue with this router

just change the wireless channel
default was 6, changed it to 11 and speed was almost double as on my previous Linksys router
mvblackie is offline   Reply With Quote