Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rising cost of living

Old 04-11-2022, 23:26   #601
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Bung all the tax on fuel?
Not sure how they'd charge for electric vehicles.
I think that’s Pierre’s point.

It’s insincere of Government to pretend the system incentivises “greener” motoring if in the event everyone did, in the long run, it this leaves a funding shortfall that inevitably comes back to “green” motorists to pay.

A pay as you go system would be interesting, and could vary from relying on “honesty”/MOT figures (I know these don’t apply to brand new cars for a period), to wildly complex using “big brother” GPS/Bluetooth technologies.

I’m not endorsing the latter but in theory you could allocate every driver an “essential” mileage to cover “necessary” journeys with a sliding scale for journeys over and above (e.g. based on alternative options). GPS data covering habitual journeys could be used to confirm that “essential” journeys specific to a driver are habitually undertaken in line with the rationale for them. I’d imagine there’d be outrage but I was just thinking through the tech in this instance.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2022, 12:12   #602
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Duty on fuel is a form of mileage tax, bigger/greedier vehicles also pay more but they also tend to wear roads out more.

It can't be a surprise that as EV ownership grows and becomes more common those owners will have to contribute to the "road fund".
Old 07-11-2022, 14:53   #603
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Duty on fuel is a form of mileage tax, bigger/greedier vehicles also pay more but they also tend to wear roads out more.
I have to pay duty on fuel, to mow my lawn, power my leaf blower and use my chainsaw, and I never take them on the road! well hardly ever.
Old 07-11-2022, 15:20   #604
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I have to pay duty on fuel, to mow my lawn, power my leaf blower and use my chainsaw, and I never take them on the road! well hardly ever.
I pay fuel duty on my boat diesel it's all a big con
Old 07-11-2022, 15:50   #605
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I pay fuel duty on my boat diesel it's all a big con
You can thank the EU for that … HMG succumbed to years of pressure for tax harmonisation on use of red diesel in boats back in 2013. It had not wanted to make the change and resisted earlier ‘requests’ from Brussels.

If they had continued to hold out, your duty exemption would be about to end now anyway. Red diesel is to be almost entirely banned on environmental grounds.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 16:48   #606
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can thank the EU for that … HMG succumbed to years of pressure for tax harmonisation on use of red diesel in boats back in 2013. It had not wanted to make the change and resisted earlier ‘requests’ from Brussels.

If they had continued to hold out, your duty exemption would be about to end now anyway. Red diesel is to be almost entirely banned on environmental grounds.
So, we're not in the EU anymore, change it back and reclaim our sunlit uplands or is that not how it works?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 17:04   #607
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
So, we're not in the EU anymore, change it back and reclaim our sunlit uplands or is that not how it works?
Governments may be reluctant to introduce certain taxes if they impinge on their voter base (I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest that boat-owning is more likely a monied, and therefore tory, pursuit). However I think we all know how willing governments are to ditch taxes once they’re established and people get used to them.

Apparently when income tax was reintroduced in 1842 it was meant to be temporary, but the Crimean war caused some balance of payments problems and we’ve been stuck with it ever since. Plus ça change ….
Old 08-11-2022, 00:22   #608
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Using it on boats may still be ok.
Quote:
Certain heat and power generation will be allowed as will fuelling of some boats and track-based vehicles.
I could not find a better definition of "some boats".

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:48   #609
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Using it on boats may still be ok.

I could not find a better definition of "some boats".
That’s because it depends what you use the red diesel for. Unlike a diesel car, where it’s illegal even to have the red diesel in your tank, on a boat you can put red diesel in the tank, because you can still use it duty free for generating heat and power from your engine. Only the fuel you actually use for propulsion attracts duty and you have to declare to HMRC what proportion of the fuel is used for propulsion and pay the duty separately. Reams and reams of guidance have been written on how to do that, and what happens if you make a false declaration and then get audited by HMRC.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:54   #610
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That’s because it depends what you use the red diesel for. Unlike a diesel car, where it’s illegal even to have the red diesel in your tank, on a boat you can put red diesel in the tank, because you can still use it duty free for generating heat and power from your engine. Only the fuel you actually use for propulsion attracts duty and you have to declare to HMRC what proportion of the fuel is used for propulsion and pay the duty separately. Reams and reams of guidance have been written on how to do that, and what happens if you make a false declaration and then get audited by HMRC.
The calculation is pre agreed for the inland waterways 40% heating- 60% propulsion, the problem is the fuel stations set a ridiculously high rate for the fuel so after the deductions it's often cheaper to buy road diesel from tesco

in september diesel was around £183 at tesco, on the river it was £198 after deductions

Gas oil at local garage £150

Last edited by papa smurf; 08-11-2022 at 08:08.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:31   #611
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
The calculation is pre agreed for the inland waterways 40% heating- 60% propulsion, the problem is the fuel stations set a ridiculously high rate for the fuel so after the deductions it's often cheaper to buy road diesel from tesco

in september diesel was around £183 at tesco, on the river it was £198 after deductions

Gas oil at local garage £150
The thing is the on river fuel suppliers probably know Tesco don't have many floating fuel stations so feel the threat from the supermarkets is quite small. They probably also know you'd need to be buying lots of diesel at cheaper Tesco prices to offset the cost of getting your boat to the local supermarket forecourt and back, unless the supermarket has extra extra long reach hoses!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:54   #612
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
The thing is the on river fuel suppliers probably know Tesco don't have many floating fuel stations so feel the threat from the supermarkets is quite small. They probably also know you'd need to be buying lots of diesel at cheaper Tesco prices to offset the cost of getting your boat to the local supermarket forecourt and back, unless the supermarket has extra extra long reach hoses!
5 gallon drums in the boot of the car, Tesco is 1 mile from the marina, and i have to go there for food supplies
Old 08-11-2022, 16:09   #613
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

My second Cost of Living payment is pending ready to go in tomorrow. Happy days
Old 10-11-2022, 20:46   #614
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
My second Cost of Living payment is pending ready to go in tomorrow. Happy days
Happier days would be if you didn't need a cost of living payment. Increasingly few working, loads retiring early, and no one prepared to work for crap wages. Vital workers told to bugger off back to their 'own country'.

A nation of pensioners and benefit claimants and a collapsing economy.. The sunlit uplands we were promised are here.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 20:55   #615
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Happier days would be if you didn't need a cost of living payment. Increasingly few working, loads retiring early, and no one prepared to work for crap wages. Vital workers told to bugger off back to their 'own country'.

A nation of pensioners and benefit claimants and a collapsing economy.. The sunlit uplands we were promised are here.
Yeah because then my life would not have been a living hell for the majority of it

I certainly hope you were not casting aspersions there