Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 07-11-2013, 21:12   #3796
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Sky and the Beeb games much higher quality both on and off the pitch imo. PS coverage now starting to grate....
Again, you pays your money and takes your choice.

If I never hear Eddie & Stevo or Jonathan Davies again it will still be too soon
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2013, 00:33   #3797
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
BT Sport was close to declaring victory on Friday night in its battle to add Champions League football to its growing portfolio and deal what could be a huge blow to BSkyB and ITV.
interesting news starting to filter out about a BT bid for the Champions League rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...from-2015.html
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13   #3798
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

The Times:
Quote:
BT has landed its biggest blow yet in the battle for pay-TV and broadband customers after launching a knockout bid, thought to be worth almost £1 billion, for the rights to broadcast live mid-week Champions League games from 2015. The Times has learnt that the telecoms company has knocked out both BSkyB and ITV, the current holders of the rights, during bidding this week and has entered exclusive talks with Uefa for the rights...

I suspect BT may be asking for more money from VM XL customers from 2015. Nevertheless, that is a great deal for BT, truly ground-breaking. The biggest blow yet to Sky Sports Football coverage.

No doubt about it now. BT mean business, and all bets are off.

PS - Deal includes exclusive coverage for Europa League too!!
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41   #3799
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

About time someone took Sky on but let's hope its not at a massive increase in costs to us customers.
That said, I would happily pay BT Sports a fee for their package if it included all they have so far plus CL games, as long as it was cheaper than Sky currently charge which I feel is too high.

Game changing indeed. . Wonder what Sky's response will be!
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20   #3800
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
interesting news starting to filter out about a BT bid for the Champions League rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...from-2015.html
Very interesting indeed but at the end of the day it will mean higher prices for many no matter who you are with as higher sports rights mean higher bills at the end of the month.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53   #3801
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
About time someone took Sky on but let's hope its not at a massive increase in costs to us customers.
That said, I would happily pay BT Sports a fee for their package if it included all they have so far plus CL games, as long as it was cheaper than Sky currently charge which I feel is too high.

Game changing indeed. . Wonder what Sky's response will be!
I find the naivety amusing, as if this is a good thing. The same people who cheer when sky loses something are generally the first to cry when they have to pay more.

Any price war will always have the customer paying...the companies are not charities.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05   #3802
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
The Times:

I suspect BT may be asking for more money from VM XL customers from 2015. Nevertheless, that is a great deal for BT, truly ground-breaking. The biggest blow yet to Sky Sports Football coverage.

No doubt about it now. BT mean business, and all bets are off.

PS - Deal includes exclusive coverage for Europa League too!!
BT's deal with Virgin was for three years, and when they signed it, BT must have known that they were lining up a bid for the Champions League. We should, in theory, get two years of Champions League at no extra cost.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:13   #3803
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I find the naivety amusing, as if this is a good thing. The same people who cheer when sky loses something are generally the first to cry when they have to pay more.

Any price war will always have the customer paying...the companies are not charities.
I don't subscribe to Sky Sports from VM, I find it too expensive but as I said I'd pay BT for their package of what they have now plus CL games if it was cheaper than Sky.

I have no real interest in the EPL games, I watch some but not fussed either way on them. I do however watch the SPL and SPFL1 games that BT Sports show, plus I watch the CL games currently on ITV.
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24   #3804
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
I don't subscribe to Sky Sports from VM, I find it too expensive but as I said I'd pay BT for their package of what they have now plus CL games if it was cheaper than Sky.

I have no real interest in the EPL games, I watch some but not fussed either way on them. I do however watch the SPL and SPFL1 games that BT Sports show, plus I watch the CL games currently on ITV.
fair point.

I just don't see the customer as the winner, no matter who gets the rights.

If it meant competition, great, but it won't.

It will likely mean another thing to point to as examples of rip off britain.

I am always happy to be proved wrong, when it involves money (especially mine), but just don't see it happening.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30   #3805
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And here is confirmation of the Champions League and Europa League deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41   #3806
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Just seen the news about BT getting the CL rights from 2015. Thats good news in terms of BT taking Sky on but bad news as they are exclusive so will no longer be on ITV from 2015 which is a shame. Same for Europa as well.

Im sure alot of people were saying BT couldnt take on Sky and they wouldnt be around for the long haul and i was saying they will be around for a while. Seems i was correct
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00   #3807
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Just seen the news about BT getting the CL rights from 2015. Thats good news in terms of BT taking Sky on but bad news as they are exclusive so will no longer be on ITV from 2015 which is a shame. Same for Europa as well.

Im sure alot of people were saying BT couldnt take on Sky and they wouldnt be around for the long haul and i was saying they will be around for a while. Seems i was correct
Reminds me of the many who said BT Sports would not arrive on Virgin.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11   #3808
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Would be nice if they shared the rights with the BBC like the FA cup
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16   #3809
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

As part of the deal BT have agreed with UEFA to show games each week from both tournaments on a free to air basis. Whilst ITV are losing the rights to both competitions, terrestrial fans won't actually lose out.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19   #3810
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
As part of the deal BT have agreed with UEFA to show games each week from both tournaments on a free to air basis. Whilst ITV are losing the rights to both competitions, terrestrial fans won't actually lose out.
curious which ones they will choose, perhaps broadcast the best games for free?