Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 27-10-2013, 21:51   #3781
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Do you have a link to it? I couldn't find an app.
You do need to have subscribed to there internet streaming service for this to work.

Login to premier sports tv player via your phone and go to the video screen and it will point you to it or look for the sol HLS player in the play store

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlfc View Post
A big thank you to VM for getting Premier sports.
I have just watched one of the greatest games of rugby league I have seen for years, absolutely brutal at times.Also the commentary by Aussie Andrew Voss was first class,much better than them Sky muppets.
Very well done to all concerned.
P.S. picture quality very good as well.
It was indeed one of those games that will be remembered for a while.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2013, 08:30   #3782
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Yes RL coverage pretty good but no way am paying eight pounds a month for the channel.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 19:45   #3783
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Strong performance from BT Sport means it's game on for Sky.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...cess-rival-sky
Old 31-10-2013, 20:00   #3784
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Strong performance from BT Sport means it's game on for Sky.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...cess-rival-sky
means sky will up bids when right come up again to make sure they beat bt and prices will keep going up
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 20:05   #3785
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
means sky will up bids when right come up again to make sure they beat bt and prices will keep going up
Yes that is the likely scenario l am afraid.
Old 31-10-2013, 21:50   #3786
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Here is an interview with Gavin Patterson, Chief Executive of BT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24754202
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:11   #3787
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Yes RL coverage pretty good but no way am paying eight pounds a month for the channel.
Seems fair enough for 5/6 games of NRL per weekend during the season + State of origin. I suppose it depends on how much you like RL
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:33   #3788
Doug P
Inactive

Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM19 View Post
Seems fair enough for 5/6 games of NRL per weekend during the season + State of origin. I suppose it depends on how much you like RL
I love RL but have Sky Sports for multi-sports including SL and the Challenge Cup is on there and the BBC. Not dissing State of Origin or NRL but is far too much per month for extra games of one sport for me.

Also the coverage of Scotland v Italy in Workington yesterday bordered on woeful imo.
Old 06-11-2013, 21:48   #3789
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
I love RL but have Sky Sports for multi-sports including SL and the Challenge Cup is on there and the BBC. Not dissing State of Origin or NRL but is far too much per month for extra games of one sport for me.

Also the coverage of Scotland v Italy in Workington yesterday bordered on woeful imo.
You pays your money and takes your choice .

I'm just glad that I've got the option.

By the end of this world cup the channel will have shown 268 rugby league matches this season. Sky will have given us 71 and BBC 12 in comparison.
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24   #3790
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Except that Sky are not allowed to have all the games, are they? A proportion of them will always be screened by a different operator, assuming that one exists who wishes to put in a bid. At least, that's my understanding.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 16:28   #3791
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Except that Sky are not allowed to have all the games, are they? A proportion of them will always be screened by a different operator, assuming that one exists who wishes to put in a bid. At least, that's my understanding.
And it's correct. The issue is that BT want to out bid Sky and own a larger rights portfolio. That was the case this time and their stated aim for next time around as well. What happened this time was that BT did actually out bid Sky with a record bid. The Premier League then went back to Sky and offered them the chance to top the BT bid, which they did.

So the result of all that is that Sky ended up with what they wanted, whilst BT ended up with something akin to what ESPN had been showing for the last couple of years ie. the status quo was largely maintained, except the cost had been largely inflated. And that cost is inevitably passed on to the consumer. Sky Sports has increased, and we've yet to see the impact of Virgin's deal with BT but I'm sure they'll announce an annual price increase soon as it's almost twelve months since the last one. The cost of BT Sport as a subscription option is higher than ESPN was.

Dave42 is right in my opinion. BT clearly want to get more from the next rights auction, whilst Sky have shown no indication that they're prepared to give up their positron as top dog. So, unless in the meantime something happens which forces a shake up of the current system and introduces real competition for the benefit of the consumer, I expect another record breaking rights auction next time round followed by more price rises.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:38   #3792
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
And it's correct. The issue is that BT want to out bid Sky and own a larger rights portfolio. That was the case this time and their stated aim for next time around as well. What happened this time was that BT did actually out bid Sky with a record bid. The Premier League then went back to Sky and offered them the chance to top the BT bid, which they did.

So the result of all that is that Sky ended up with what they wanted, whilst BT ended up with something akin to what ESPN had been showing for the last couple of years ie. the status quo was largely maintained, except the cost had been largely inflated. And that cost is inevitably passed on to the consumer. Sky Sports has increased, and we've yet to see the impact of Virgin's deal with BT but I'm sure they'll announce an annual price increase soon as it's almost twelve months since the last one. The cost of BT Sport as a subscription option is higher than ESPN was.

Dave42 is right in my opinion. BT clearly want to get more from the next rights auction, whilst Sky have shown no indication that they're prepared to give up their positron as top dog. So, unless in the meantime something happens which forces a shake up of the current system and introduces real competition for the benefit of the consumer, I expect another record breaking rights auction next time round followed by more price rises.
As usual you chaps have summed up the likely future scenario perfectly.
Old 07-11-2013, 17:22   #3793
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

You wonder if the PL would have offered BT a second stab if Sky had outbid them?

The consumer has only so much spare cash Sky have to be careful they don't price them too high and people drop them.
In fact my local club has started to subscribe again after about 5 years without it, they are now paying less (500) than they were before (800), it got dropped because Sky changed the way they work retail out and wanted to put it up to £1200 a month!
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:37   #3794
Doug P
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM19 View Post
You pays your money and takes your choice .

I'm just glad that I've got the option.

By the end of this world cup the channel will have shown 268 rugby league matches this season. Sky will have given us 71 and BBC 12 in comparison.
Sky and the Beeb games much higher quality both on and off the pitch imo. PS coverage now starting to grate....
Old 07-11-2013, 17:57   #3795
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
You wonder if the PL would have offered BT a second stab if Sky had outbid them?

The consumer has only so much spare cash Sky have to be careful they don't price them too high and people drop them.
In fact my local club has started to subscribe again after about 5 years without it, they are now paying less (500) than they were before (800), it got dropped because Sky changed the way they work retail out and wanted to put it up to £1200 a month!
I suspect that they knew what they were getting with Sky and were keen to protect their brand. Next time might be different depending upon how they perceive BT's handling of the next two and a half years.