Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 18-10-2013, 13:02   #3706
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlam View Post
Does anyone actually pay the full price for SS on VM, as it is such a rip off compared to it on Sky?
We've discussed this many times it is not a rip-off but it is higher as Sky dictate the cost as it is their channel set...
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2013, 13:36   #3707
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
We've discussed this many times it is not a rip-off but it is higher as Sky dictate the cost as it is their channel set...
I am aware of what Sky dictate mate, but the bottom line is it is more expensive. My question WAS whether people are actually paying for SS on VM?
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 13:51   #3708
Doug P
Inactive

Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

I was answering your description of it as a rip-off which it is not...
Old 18-10-2013, 14:02   #3709
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Kl mate. I get your point, but from a comsumer 's POV; it is.
Old 18-10-2013, 14:06   #3710
Doug P
Inactive

Quote:
Kl mate. I get your point, but from a comsumer 's POV; it is.
It can be seen as that I agree, but it is a choice of which media people want especially in cabled areas...

As I have often said I am not allowed to have a dustbin lid stuck to my flat so cannot have Sky even if I wanted but I really prefer VM and am happy to pay a tad more for Sky Sports and Movies for what else VM provide....
Old 18-10-2013, 16:57   #3711
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Does anyone actually pay the full price for SS on VM, as it is such a rip off compared to it on Sky?
I don't, but then I'd already given up my Sky Sports subscription when I was a Sky customer, so the cost of the package on Virgin wasn't a consideration for me when I moved across. I did subscribe for 3 months earlier in the year when there was a half price offer on. For £12 it was excellent value, for nearly £30 it isn't. If it was £20 I'd probably still be there. I did enjoy having Sky Sports F1 as I don't really think the highlights shows that the BBC do for half of the races really do the job as well as I'd like, but for me there is plenty of football available on Virgin without having Sky Sports, and since they are probably the main two sports I watch on TV (and you'll see from my Avatar that I'm not well into the Premier League!) I'm quite happy without it.

But, as you'll see from your interaction with Doug P, the answer to your question is actually yes!
Old 18-10-2013, 18:03   #3712
Lostlam
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I don't, but then I'd already given up my Sky Sports subscription when I was a Sky customer, so the cost of the package on Virgin wasn't a consideration for me when I moved across. I did subscribe for 3 months earlier in the year when there was a half price offer on. For £12 it was excellent value, for nearly £30 it isn't. If it was £20 I'd probably still be there. I did enjoy having Sky Sports F1 as I don't really think the highlights shows that the BBC do for half of the races really do the job as well as I'd like, but for me there is plenty of football available on Virgin without having Sky Sports, and since they are probably the main two sports I watch on TV (and you'll see from my Avatar that I'm not well into the Premier League!) I'm quite happy without it.

But, as you'll see from your interaction with Doug P, the answer to your question is actually yes!
Cheers for your reply. It is surprising people would be willing to pay the full cost for just SS SD channels on VM, but Doug's situation is slightly different. I recently had the SS half price offer, but it was only for a month.

I spoke to someone from VM, and they said it is to the discretion of each member of staff as to whether or not they offer you deals to keep you with them. It was quite shocking to hear, as customer should only receive offers that are advertised by VM, and not up to the person you are calling.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:43   #3713
Doug P
Inactive

Yes I take your point about the discretion but there is also the point that if a customer is rude and unpleasant on the phone to CS (and we've had people describing situations that prove this on CF) then why on Earth should VM or the representative offer a deal to someone like that?

Small point I know but it shows discretion is important.
Old 19-10-2013, 12:58   #3714
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

i pay 38 i think for movies and sport in hd which ain't a bad deal if only vm had a xbox to watch tv on like sky
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 13:15   #3715
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Had the Sky Sports plus HD package a couple years back, was about £35 if I remember correctly.

Now we have BT Sports & ESPN free with TV XL and we use my partners mum's Sky Go login to watch any games via the laptop on the TV but not in HD obviously.

Can't justify paying what Sky/VM ask for Sports packages, it's a bit much at the moment.
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:12   #3716
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Had the Sky Sports plus HD package a couple years back, was about £35 if I remember correctly.

Now we have BT Sports & ESPN free with TV XL and we use my partners mum's Sky Go login to watch any games via the laptop on the TV but not in HD obviously.

Can't justify paying what Sky/VM ask for Sports packages, it's a bit much at the moment.
i agree

i used to have sky sports/movies (HD) on VM- i was paying over £110pm for my full package which at over £1300 a year for tv/tel &bb was getting a bit ridiculous.

got rid of the sky sports and movies-and downgraded other bits too- almost halved my bill. I had watched most of the films and as has already been said you dont get all the sports in HD anyway. If anyone from Sky reads this the fact you withhold stuff like Sky Sports F1, 3 and 4 in HD and Sky Atlantic from VM still doesnt make me want to bring my business to you!

I am ok to settle with the ESPN/BT bundle at no extra cost on my current pack and also have a relative from whom i can access Sky Go and watch Sky Sports that way (they dont have movies though). Though tbh whilst watching Sky Sports is nice theres really only Man City or Celtic game and NFL game i watch

i could probably live without it - i dont think my life would over- and certainly have no immediate plans to subscribe again at the current prices.

i was toying with the idea of occasionally getting Sky Sports & Movies for a month or two at a time- watch the films i want then cancel. But now with the imminent arrival of Netflix (and who knows Lovefilm) they might be a more cost effective option- ok you might have to wait a bit longer for the premieres but hardly the end of the world.

it would be interesting to know what the impact of the last couple of years recession has done to premium content subscriptions- i imagine many have also downgraded. This and the emergence of other streaming services may force Sky (and VM) to look again at their pricing rather just announce increase after increase- well you can hope cant you
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 12:58   #3717
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It is a rip off, Doug, but it is a Sky rip off.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 15:59   #3718
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Don't care, it was a stupid and shortsighted decision to sell to such a small player who has failed miserably in the past with premium rights.
Same with the NHL rights matey
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 17:56   #3719
Doug P
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is a rip off, Doug, but it is a Sky rip off.
Yes that is true
Old 21-10-2013, 18:05   #3720
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Same with the NHL rights matey
The people who run the NHL seem oblivious to the interest in the NHL in this country.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote