Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | £3000 spent and Virgin can't connect me

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Just had an offer via phone.

Old 05-07-2021, 16:06   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Just had an offer via phone.

Just received a call from some foreign call centre. I'm more wary since the VM date breach where our details were left unsecured on the Internet.

She verified herself to my satisfaction and went into a long waffle, but I won't bore people here with the clutter. Basically, I was offered an upgrade from 200 to 350 for £5 a month instead of what she said should be £11.

Anyone else had this offer? Those thinking of upgrading might want to wait for a call first.

I decined the offer as 200 is more than enough for me and, as i've learnt to my cost, changing anything with VM is likely to end in tears (of frustration).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2021, 19:30   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Just had an offer via phone.

The surest policy for avoiding scams is never deal with unsolicited inbound call centre calls, ever. TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 20:50   #3
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The surest policy for avoiding scams is never deal with unsolicited inbound call centre calls, ever. TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.
I do almost exactly the same . . unless I feel mischievous

I've lately started asking for proof as to whom I'm talking to before they start asking me, it's quite funny when a genuine caller from our gas/electricity supplier, insurance company, or even Virgin can't 'prove' to me who they are

Tables turned nicely
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 21:37   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I only confirmed my address after she correctly answered some of my questions. I would never have given her any of my bank details as I don't trust these foreign call centres especially.

Virgin customers need to be wary because, not only do fraudsters now have our details, but they can spoof numbers to look like they're from somewhere they're not.

Even if they are legitimate, there have been cases of their staff stealing information.

Anyway, i've just had another call from them. After she'd read the script, she said that she wanted to log into my account, but the system had gone down and that she'd call me back!!
Old 05-07-2021, 21:51   #5
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I only confirmed my address after she correctly answered some of my questions. I would never have given her any of my bank details as I don't trust these foreign call centres especially.

Virgin customers need to be wary because, not only do fraudsters now have our details, but they can spoof numbers to look like they're from somewhere they're not.

Even if they are legitimate, there have been cases of their staff stealing information.

Anyway, i've just had another call from them. After she'd read the script, she said that she wanted to log into my account, but the system had gone down and that she'd call me back!!
Any links to back up the bit in bold? It's quite an accusation you're making.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 23:12   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Why would you give your bank details to someone that already has them?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 23:24   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Any links to back up the bit in bold? It's quite an accusation you're making.
I don't specifically mean those that take calls for VM, I meant offshore call centres in general.

It was on the news ages ago so will probably be online. It said that they'd tried to stop it by banning them having pens at work etc.

There have also been cases where disgruntled employees have tried to intimidate or frighten customers. One man had an argument with one from Amazon and started getting books related to murder sent to him.

I once gave an Amazon woman a poor review because of the standard of her English. The cheeky **** rang me to complain, so I told her to go away or i'd make a complaint. Shortly afterwards my Amazon account was found to have been closed & a few weeks later someone tried to order goods from a catalogue in London with my details.

I really dislike the whole thing as it's impossible for the companies that use them to control them properly, but they're cheap so...

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Why would you give your bank details to someone that already has them?
Scammers try by saying things like they need to double check the details that they hold etc.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 05-07-2021 at 23:28.
Old 05-07-2021, 23:30   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
TBH I’ve long since stopped answering the landline unless it’s from a number I recognise as friend or family. The answerphone deals with everything else.
Same here.

Its strange how 99% never leave a message

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 14:34   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

They have just rang again after the problems with their system yesterday. It's funny how the only calls they tend to return involve upselling

She asked if I was happy with VM, to which I said the service is adequate, but the CS absolute crap. When she asked why I was saying it was crap, I told her- bet she regretted asking.

So, to "apologise for the crap customer service & being such a good customer" (for once, their scripted responses made me laugh) I was offered Sky Movies for £16.01 a month. When I said that it wasn't worth it, this came down to £11.01 and she would be making the change today. Once again I had to reiterate that she should not touch my account and leave it alone.

This might help anyone who actually wants Sky Cinema in it's present state ie refuse the first offer to get it even cheaper.

She then said "why, it's only £6 more than what you're currently paying" & would protect me from price rises for 18 months!

I explained that I was under no obligation to justify my decision to her, that I had been previously lied to about being protected from the last price rise (got this sorted out though after yet more pissing about) and that the office of the CEO had now confirmed I was protected for 18 months.

The main reason, however, was that Sky Cinema isn't worth £11.01 a month & that I could get it for £9.99 with Now TV.

In addition, it was not "only £6 more" it was £11.01 more. She kept insisting that my bill was £5.01 more than what i'm actually paying.

This concerns me, so here we go again on the VM merry go round.
Old 06-07-2021, 15:40   #10
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They have just rang again after the problems with their system yesterday. It's funny how the only calls they tend to return involve upselling

She asked if I was happy with VM, to which I said the service is adequate, but the CS absolute crap. When she asked why I was saying it was crap, I told her- bet she regretted asking.

So, to "apologise for the crap customer service & being such a good customer" (for once, their scripted responses made me laugh) I was offered Sky Movies for £16.01 a month. When I said that it wasn't worth it, this came down to £11.01 and she would be making the change today. Once again I had to reiterate that she should not touch my account and leave it alone.

This might help anyone who actually wants Sky Cinema in it's present state ie refuse the first offer to get it even cheaper.

She then said "why, it's only £6 more than what you're currently paying" & would protect me from price rises for 18 months!

I explained that I was under no obligation to justify my decision to her, that I had been previously lied to about being protected from the last price rise (got this sorted out though after yet more pissing about) and that the office of the CEO had now confirmed I was protected for 18 months.

The main reason, however, was that Sky Cinema isn't worth £11.01 a month & that I could get it for £9.99 with Now TV.

In addition, it was not "only £6 more" it was £11.01 more. She kept insisting that my bill was £5.01 more than what i'm actually paying.

If you have no interest in these offers, then why do you carry the conversations on? You seem so unhappy with how VM treat you, I'm baffled why you always stay with them.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:51   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

It is fun when I get calls from Sky etc wanting to better my deal, like to see them try. Even more fun when I get calls from VM wanting to up-sell. Don't they see that I'm on staff deal and they can't change my account, it's done via special team/process? Oh! Maybe they aren't really VM at all, strange they say they are! Some people are so dishonest.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:54   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Answerphone,answerphone,answerphone. Anyone I WANT to call uses my mobile these days.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:57   #13
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Don't have or want mobile and if I have selection will always call landline first.
Old 07-07-2021, 18:07   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
If you have no interest in these offers, then why do you carry the conversations on? You seem so unhappy with how VM treat you, I'm baffled why you always stay with them.
I've wondered about that for years . I have an idea why he posts but get stick if I post what I think !
Old 07-07-2021, 19:13   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Just rang my named contact in the office of the CEO, apparently my bill appears to be more on my account than what it is because some of my discounts have been set up as rolling credits as opposed to discounts.

He said that those at the offshore call centre often don't know how to read a bill correctly. Just goes to show that they are aware of how useless they are, yet they continue to use them.

It"s no longer an issue for me, but does show that they prefer to use a cheaper option over providing good customer service & investing customer payments into providing jobs for those in the UK.