Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | £3000 spent and Virgin can't connect me

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Network Upgrade

Old 15-07-2021, 04:50   #1
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Network Upgrade

Hi

Am in the process of updating my home network just looking for help deciding if I should go to one vendor for all my equipment or stay with multiple vendors

My plan is to have 10GE SFP+ between router & switch and then have APs up & down stairs at 2.5G back to switch and powered over Poe

Currently vendors
Asus
TP-Link
Netgear

So setup so far:

ONT -> AX88 < (Link aggregation) > Switch TL-SG3210XHP -> (VoIp) (CCTV) (Netgear WAX218 has 2.5G port to switch) (Xbox)

And my router configuration currently
Asus RT-AX88U | Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 Beta | Diversion | amtm | FlexQoS | Unbound Manager | NTPMerlin

Really appreciate any input from you guys
Old 15-07-2021, 10:40   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Network Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Hi

Am in the process of updating my home network just looking for help deciding if I should go to one vendor for all my equipment or stay with multiple vendors

My plan is to have 10GE SFP+ between router & switch and then have APs up & down stairs at 2.5G back to switch and powered over Poe

Currently vendors
Asus
TP-Link
Netgear

So setup so far:

ONT -> AX88 < (Link aggregation) > Switch TL-SG3210XHP -> (VoIp) (CCTV) (Netgear WAX218 has 2.5G port to switch) (Xbox)

And my router configuration currently
Asus RT-AX88U | Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 Beta | Diversion | amtm | FlexQoS | Unbound Manager | NTPMerlin

Really appreciate any input from you guys
I don't pretend to offer anything but a partial response to your questions.

There is a strong argument for going with a single vendor and, of course, ensuring that your access points are of sufficient spec to manage 2.5GB. They would all need at least a 2.5GB port. Using a single brand like Asus also presents you with the possibility of using whatever iMesh equivalent they may offer. My home network speed ambitions aren't as great as yours, but my iMesh works as well as it does because I link my two other Asus iMesh routers to a GT-AX11000 by Ethernet. Although Cat5e theoretically can carry greater than 1Gb if connected to a 2.5Gb port, I would probably go for Cat 6 cable to be sure.

Your strategy of using an initial 10Gb link to your main switch is a good one, but will only work if your main router has >10Gb capability. Does the RT-AX88U have that capability? I see that you can aggregate two 1Gb ports, but that seems to be it.

I'm probably missing something.

This Asus router does have two 10Gb ports, but the WiFi isn't as good as your AX88U.

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-...ters/RT-AX89X/
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 23:31   #3
Martin_D
cf.geek

Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Good evening

You are correct the AX88U will not be able to do this so been looking found this The Netgate® 6100 is going to be our new router and it does Unbound and I can add network ad block so not losing any add on from my asus router
Old 18-07-2021, 16:17   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Good evening

You are correct the AX88U will not be able to do this so been looking found this The Netgate® 6100 is going to be our new router and it does Unbound and I can add network ad block so not losing any add on from my asus router
That'll do it!

If the Netgate 6100 is going to be the core of your network, how are you envisaging the the setting up of a single SSID via multiple access points?
I'm only asking because, unless I have missed something, the 6100 doesn't include WiFi.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 21:32   #5
Martin_D
cf.geek

Good evening

WiFi has already been moved over to the WAX218 the performance has been good done this at the start of the year. All in one routers just don’t cut it any longer for me

So updated network plan so far

ONT -1Gbps- NETGATE 6100 -10Gbps- Switch - APs at 2.5Gbps

Media server will be updated to 2.5Gbps PCIE back to the 6100 (TP-Link TX401)

And when I have this all in place I will move all the IoT devices on to their own Vlan no point doing this until router has been updated

Hopefully all this work should stop is running into capacity problems for same time

Last 30 Days (2021-06-19 ~ 2021-07-18)
Reception 2,422.77 GB
Transmission 137.59 GB
Total 2,560.36 GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 245A1788-B0C9-4837-ADB2-B6C21FEBB3F6.jpeg (172.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Martin_D; 18-07-2021 at 21:40.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote