Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gb with Hub 4 modem only mode.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gb with Hub 4 modem only mode.

Old 10-01-2022, 14:03   #16
j0s0r
cf.member

j0s0r is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gb with Hub 4 modem only mode.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Do you still have the problem? A fix for slow speeds on some Hub4s was deployed on Saturday.

If you do still have the problem, try a factory reset on the Hub.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...reset-your-hub
Just done a factory reset still have the same issue.

Last edited by j0s0r; 10-01-2022 at 14:34.
j0s0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2022, 14:34   #17
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Your issue is different to the ops because he is getting full speed to the hub. You aren't are your issue is with VM.
agreed. i had issues with slow speeds to the hub using samknows speed test. VM put in a new cable run from the cabinet for me. now getting a solid 1154 to the hub but unfortunately only 950 to the PC.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0s0r View Post
Think you must be confused.. I have the same issue

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Just done a factory reset still have the same issue.
thats a cabling issue my friend. something not right with your network. if youre using a gigabit network you should be seeing nearly 950 with a wired connection. WiFi speeds will vary alot.
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 15:18   #18
j0s0r
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsinky View Post
agreed. i had issues with slow speeds to the hub using samknows speed test. VM put in a new cable run from the cabinet for me. now getting a solid 1154 to the hub but unfortunately only 950 to the PC.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

thats a cabling issue my friend. something not right with your network. if youre using a gigabit network you should be seeing nearly 950 with a wired connection. WiFi speeds will vary alot.
I think it's more of a Hub 4 issue than my cabling, 3 different cat 6 cables used. Even used a cat 5e cable to test same result slow speed from the hub 4 to the PC
Old 10-01-2022, 17:29   #19
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The PC speed on the right will be affected by processor issues etc. in the PC as you are using a browser.

Try Ookla speedtest app for PC download speed.

I get between 400-800Mbs to the PC in Edge but 1.1Gpbs you the Hub4. Ookla usually gives 900+Mbs.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 18:41   #20
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I think I have a similar issue to the OP. I have a new SH4 in modem mode connected to an Eero mesh router. The router reports a connection to the Internet of c.1Gb but my devices are only showing 600Mb connections.
Mr Spiderplant - will a factory reset resolve this? I’m confused as you say the fix is only for “some” SH4s
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 18:44   #21
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it's more of a Hub 4 issue than my cabling, 3 different cat 6 cables used. Even used a cat 5e cable to test same result slow speed from the hub 4 to the PC
Oh ok. Chances of 3 cables being dud are remote.
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 20:28   #22
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I think I have a similar issue to the OP. I have a new SH4 in modem mode connected to an Eero mesh router. The router reports a connection to the Internet of c.1Gb but my devices are only showing 600Mb connections.
Mr Spiderplant - will a factory reset resolve this? I’m confused as you say the fix is only for “some” SH4s
There was a fault where some SH4s wouldn't use all the downstream channels so they couldn't get the full 1Gbps. Instead they'd get a very consistent lower speed such as 380Mbps. A fix was deployed for this on Saturday, but there is some speculation that a factory reset may also be necessary. This is the fault I thought j0s0r had. However now they have posted SamKnows data showing they are getting 1145Mbps at the hub, that clearly isn't the problem. As others have said, j0s0r's problem is somewhere on the LAN side, and it sounds like your is too.

No harm in trying a factory reset though.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsinky View Post
Oh ok. Chances of 3 cables being dud are remote.
Don't rule it out, if they all came from the same source. I once had a box of 100 and they were all dud (the wrong pairs were twisted)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 23:16   #23
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Your issue is different to the ops because he is getting full speed to the hub. You aren't are your issue is with VM.
Actually i read it as the same issue as mine

Full speed to the hub, but Ethernet hand off from hub to device is very poor.

My two laptops connected (one Mac and one windows) each connected via Ethernet and done one at a time to the SH4 with no wireless devices receive between 300-500

The router does exactly the same.

The same machines and cables connected to a work iot network receive near enough 1gb

The above proves that it’s not the cable or device NIC causing the issue.
Old 10-01-2022, 23:43   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Put the Hub4 back to router mode and use the samknows still get terrible speed 432 Mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Actually i read it as the same issue as mine
it's not
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 00:50   #25
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
it's not
Considering Samknows gives two speeds It’s open to interpretation as it doesn’t specify if that speed is to the hub or the device. I believe it’s the latter.

Regardless, my issue for is not with router, devices or cabling. I now somehow need vm support to appreciate this.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:21   #26
j0s0r
cf.member

Try windows safemode with networking and see what speed you get. I did it this morning and I am getting the full proper speed

So done a reset of windows and everything seems sorted
Old 11-01-2022, 16:47   #27
mrmistoffelees

Thanks, but as i've already said, the same equipment connected on another network gives near enough 1gb speeds. the laptops & cables are sound, the issue is with the handoff from the SH4
Old 13-01-2022, 15:59   #28
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Did the potential router issue get considered in your case MrM. You didn't tell us what router you have and whether or not QoS is enabled.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 16:35   #29
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Did the potential router issue get considered in your case MrM. You didn't tell us what router you have and whether or not QoS is enabled.
It did, QOS disabled and still the same issue.

Also PIN reset the SH4 this morning, repeated testing with both laptops and router as before, same issue.
Old 13-01-2022, 17:08   #30
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Somewhere in the forum someone said that the Hub 4 was replaced and this went away. I can't pinpoint it. Is it time to put a call in?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote