Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Port Forwarding & which router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Port Forwarding & which router

Old 23-02-2010, 09:45   #1
mostin
Inactive

mostin is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Port Forwarding & which router

hi all

first post here & hoping you can help .... IT chap i know suggested this route.

it's not a cable supplier issue , more of a find a solution .

i need to get remote access to a IP device on a customers network , biggest draw back is my equipment uses port 23 which fills most IT guys with dread & they will not allow access , i've tried some other kit with limited success but here's what i would really like if poss

1. Router to on customers LAN , say with IP 192.168.10.x & they forward external requests from me to the above IP on port 4001 ( picked 4001 as its way out of the range )
2. My device Sits on the other side of the router with IP 192.168.1.3
3. port 4001 customer side then translates to port 23 my side

looking for some suggestions on kit or any other ways i can do above .

i know NAT is a option but we hit so many brick walls with IT guys , plus it would give me the advantage of a demarkation point !

hope that makes sense

thanks for your time !!!
mostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2010, 09:57   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Port Forwarding & which router

Have a read up on SSH port forwarding.
Essentially you ssh to their ssh server to create an encrypted tunnel and then forward port 23 through that tunnel. Port 23 never appears open on the internet and everyone is happy!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 10:08   #3
mostin
Inactive

thanks aragorn !
but ideally i want to use a piece of hardware , various reasons which i won't bore you with ...
we deal with a lot of corporate accounts & getting IP access is hard enough ..
Old 23-02-2010, 10:21   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you're using restricted to port 23 but the customer is using port 4001 then unless you have incoming and outgoing port forwarding it probably won't work....

Get a decent hardware/firewall/router your end and that should be able to do what you want.. Most cheap routers though won't
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 10:31   #5
mostin
Inactive

any suggestion on kit kymmy ?
Old 23-02-2010, 10:36   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not sure what's current as I've been out of the game too long (5+ years), now concentrating on race electronics...

Sowwy

Oh and welcome to the forum Someone will probably have a suggestion or two for you very soon
Old 23-02-2010, 10:38   #7
mostin
Inactive

thanks !!! i hope so , it's becoming the bain of my life .....
Old 23-02-2010, 10:48   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

I suggested something your end as then you have complete control and then are able to match up future clients to restricted software ports as easy as changing a config.. A few of years ago I used to use a software version on a win2k3 webserver called winroute.. Absolutely fantastic as routing or blocking ports, not as fast as a hardware device but you couldn't beat it for ease of config...
Old 23-02-2010, 10:53   #9
mostin
Inactive

i see you point but then i'm faced with making it compatable with all clients , maybe wrongly i thought have a device customer side ( with a standard config as you say ) 4001 - 23 , 4002 - 2222 etc would make life easier.
i come up against so many different scenarios with different customers & kit , but opening up top unusual ports doesn't "usuallly" cause any issues
Old 23-02-2010, 11:04   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

But customer side you either need to start messing about with tunnels and more equipment to go wrong, where as your side you have full control all of the time and only high end ports are used external to your setup