Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 18-07-2023, 16:47   #2146
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Not nonsense at all, you accused me something I didn't do. The irony of some of the posts you make on here is off the scale.
I just love it when the saying "pot calling the kettle black" comes to life

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2023, 16:52   #2147
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I just love it when the saying "pot calling the kettle black" comes to life
He'll never acknowledge it though. It must be part of his 'condition'.
Old 19-07-2023, 01:36   #2148
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Admin have previously made it clear that this thread is not about me nor any disability that I have.

Every so often the usual few do their level best to bait, troll and make discriminatory comments

All excellent examples of why the Online Safety Bill is needed though
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 10:18   #2149
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Alternatively an excellent example of why the bill is disproportionate and excessive.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 10:34   #2150
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Alternatively an excellent example of why the bill is disproportionate and excessive.
It's just another way of frightening business away from these shores!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 13:03   #2151
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, it's not just our Government who want to be able to circumvent end to end encryption in order to be able to detect paedophiles, terrorists etc.

A number of other companies have joined Whattsapp in saying they don't want this to happen amidst privacy concerns.

Privacy is important and as jaymoss said earlier, Governments often use emotive subjects to obtain greater powers.

On the other hand, it's perfectly reasonable that law enforcement and anti terrorist agencies will want to be able to detect and circumvent some of the most terrible acts in society.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Those who enjoy being unpleasent to or bullying disabled people online will probably view this as a comedy programme, but I think decent right thinking people will be appalled if they wach Channel 4 at 10pm tomorrow evening.

Quote:
Comedian Rosie Jones explores how prevalent disability trolling is in the UK, and why it's thus far often been left unchecked. She sets herself the challenge of confronting a troll directly, and looks at the role that social media plays in the rise of this activity
Old 19-07-2023, 13:20   #2152
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Those who enjoy being unpleasent to or bullying disabled people online will probably view this as a comedy programme, but I think decent right thinking people will be appalled if they wach Channel 4 at 10pm tomorrow evening.
There's nasty people everywhere, that are unpleasant to anybody, regardless of any immutable characteristic the person that is the focus of their vitriol may or may not have.
Old 19-07-2023, 13:26   #2153
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

And presumably the perpetrators are already guilty of existing crimes?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 13:43   #2154
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A comedy? If it's got Rosie Jones in it, it will most definitely not be funny that's for sure.

She's offended a lot of people with the title of the program. Doesn't matter what the context is, someone somewhere will always be offended by something or other.

"A Channel 4 spokesperson supported Jones, stating: “This film is an authored documentary by Rosie Jones to raise awareness and educate viewers about the issue of ableism and the scale of abuse she and other disabled people face daily".

“The use of the R-word in the documentary is within context of the subject matter being explored and specific to the abuse Rosie receives on social media. The film makes very clear it is an unacceptable and offensive ableist term and its inclusion was carefully considered in conversations with the editorial team, Rosie and a disability consultant.”

Yet 3 contributors pulled out of the docu and had their material removed.
Old 19-07-2023, 14:15   #2155
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Admin have previously made it clear that this thread is not about me nor any disability that I have.
Yet you continue to bring it up, thus making it about you .. again.

Quote:
Every so often the usual few do their level best to bait, troll and make discriminatory comments
Again, including you.

Quote:
All excellent examples of why the Online Safety Bill is needed though
A perfect example of the so many things wrong with it.

Its ill thought out, and badly implemented by people who are clearly clueless about technology, the internet, and how the vast majority of forums and other discussion systems work. They cant see any further than twitter, facebook and the 2 or 3 other large SM platforms.

The phrase sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind. The "nut" gets crushed, no one wins.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 15:42   #2156
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Yet you continue to bring it up, thus making it about you .. again.

Again, including you.

Its ill thought out, and badly implemented by people who are clearly clueless about technology, the internet, and how the vast majority of forums and other discussion systems work. They cant see any further than twitter, facebook and the 2 or 3 other large SM platforms.

The phrase sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind. The "nut" gets crushed, no one wins.
Some of the posts in this thread has made my blood boil and I finally need to say something. I am not looking for sympathy and I certainly will not mention it again. I am also not using it as a badge of honor.
You see I am classed as disabled I have age related macular degeneration in one eye, I am deaf in both ears that requires me to use hearing aids to carry on a conversation. To top that I found out 19 weeks ago I have bladder cancer and will be having an OP on Monday to remove the tumour. Now I have never used my disability in any of my posts on this forum and was never going to. The fact is that there are those who use their disability as a badge of honor or to try and bend a conversation to there way of thinking. I do not care what other think of my disability and I certainly do not get wound up by any comments. I do not need others to be offended on my behalf or to spend money on a system that is doomed to fail. My outlook on life is to make the most of what I have and ignore the ignorant.

Rant over

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 19-07-2023 at 15:45.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 16:08   #2157
peanut
NUTS !!

Well said, I'm very much the same. Bi-laterally deaf since birth, severe Crohn's Disease, now missing most of my bowel, had a rectal cancerous tumour removed resulting in loss of bowel control. Obviously not great combined with Crohn's disease. During the removal I ended up with Parsonage Turner Syndrome (Brachial Neuritis), I've now lost the use of my right arm. My neck C3/C4 have collapse on themselves which is now causing all kinds of problems. I also have Polycystic Kidney Disease and nearing the end of stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease. Also Polycystic Liver Disease. All this (and a few other probs) has affected my mental health in quite a way but it's been considered normal due to everything that's gone and going on.

So like wise, sympathy is the last thing I want and I wouldn't get it as I don't use my conditions in any way shape or form to be treated any differently but I do have considerable restrictions in day to day life obviously. If someone wants to make fun of me, then as long as I can laugh with you then go for it. That's my outlook on life.
Old 19-07-2023, 16:19   #2158
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Some of the posts in this thread has made my blood boil and I finally need to say something. I am not looking for sympathy and I certainly will not mention it again. I am also not using it as a badge of honor.
You see I am classed as disabled I have age related macular degeneration in one eye, I am deaf in both ears that requires me to use hearing aids to carry on a conversation. To top that I found out 19 weeks ago I have bladder cancer and will be having an OP on Monday to remove the tumour. Now I have never used my disability in any of my posts on this forum and was never going to. The fact is that there are those who use their disability as a badge of honor or to try and bend a conversation to there way of thinking. I do not care what other think of my disability and I certainly do not get wound up by any comments. I do not need others to be offended on my behalf or to spend money on a system that is doomed to fail. My outlook on life is to make the most of what I have and ignore the ignorant.

Rant over
I have not read your post as a rant Sirius it's a way of life statement and I would be proud to claim you as a friend if I knew you in the real world.

Some people such as yourself, Peanut and others on this forum enrich the world they inhabit others choose dark paths through life and use their disabilities as a weapon and never realise how much they are missing.

Good luck on Monday I will be thinking of you.

Jo xx
Old 19-07-2023, 16:32   #2159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have not read your post as a rant Sirius it's a way of life statement and I would be proud to claim you as a friend if I knew you in the real world.

Some people such as yourself, Peanut and others on this forum enrich the world they inhabit others choose dark paths through life and use their disabilities as a weapon and never realise how much they are missing.

Good luck on Monday I will be thinking of you.

Jo xx
Nice one, joglynne, I completely agree with your view on this.

My best wishes to Sirius, too. Let us know how you get on, Sirius.
Old 19-07-2023, 16:58   #2160
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Yet you continue to bring it up, thus making about you .. again.

Again, including you.

Pierre started it off on 17 July at 16:37 and the usual handful came out to join in.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:

Rant over
I totally agree with most of what you say.

Many years ago, however, I was severely bullied from the minute I happened to mention that I had a disability (this was independently verified).

Since then most of the perpetrators have become bored of it, been banned, seen the error of their ways or it transpired that they had a disability of their own that gave rise to their behaviour.

Hopefully now that you have 'come out' as disabled, attitudes have changed and you or anyone else won't face what I did many years ago. There is now less than a handful who crawl out of the woodwork every now and again and egg each other on, the majority of people are fine.

On this occasion it's saved me a job as we were each asked to produce five examples of online disability harrassment for our next zoom meeting.

In the past a lot of people took the 'ignore the ignorant' outlook, but these days people simply won't put up with it and why should they?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-07-2023 at 17:06.