Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multiple PCs on Telewest wireless home network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Multiple PCs on Telewest wireless home network

Old 18-10-2005, 09:34   #1
Gaius Marius
Inactive

Gaius Marius is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiple PCs on Telewest wireless home network

I have a NetGear ME102 Access Point wired to my Telewest set top box, with a NetGear MA101 USB Adapter on my PC, and they work just fine.

What I wanted to do is to use a laptop with a NetGear MA521 802.11b Wireless PC Card through the same Access Point. I have been able to connect the laptop to the web but in doing so I loose connectivity on the desktop PC. I can get the PC back on-line but then loose the laptop.

I contacted Telewest for some guidance and was told that the Access Point can one device. Is this true ? According to NetGear website the ME102 can handle upto 32 devices ? Is there something that Telewest need to do at their end to allow multiple devices access through my connection ?

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Gaius Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2005, 09:37   #2
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Multiple PCs on Telewest wireless home network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Marius
I have a NetGear ME102 Access Point wired to my Telewest set top box, with a NetGear MA101 USB Adapter on my PC, and they work just fine.

What I wanted to do is to use a laptop with a NetGear MA521 802.11b Wireless PC Card through the same Access Point. I have been able to connect the laptop to the web but in doing so I loose connectivity on the desktop PC. I can get the PC back on-line but then loose the laptop.

I contacted Telewest for some guidance and was told that the Access Point can one device. Is this true ? According to NetGear website the ME102 can handle upto 32 devices ? Is there something that Telewest need to do at their end to allow multiple devices access through my connection ?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

It can handle 32 devices over a network but not for sharing the internet connection. To share the internet connection you will need to replace your access point with a router (same thing really only the router can share the internet connection on top).
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 09:46   #3
Gaius Marius
Inactive

Gaius Marius is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Multiple PCs on Telewest wireless home network

Thanks ZrByte, that's kind of what the lad at Telewest said, but he didn't fill me with much confidence.
Gaius Marius is offline   Reply With Quote