Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 24-07-2022, 20:03   #4366
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Not sure what planet you are on but back on planet Earth, post-Brexit, the EU mandates passport checks that were not required before. It is not rocket science. The Port of Dover boss Doug Bannister gets it and he should know.
I travel to Europe a lot, several times a year, and there is not once I did not have my passport checked. Occasionally the French one on the U.K side just waved you though but we've always had passport checks.

The French one now just adds a stamp when checking. The U.K process is the same for U.K citizens, the electronic reader, and it's only the stupid checks we do on why EU citizens are arriving in the country that has been added.

So yes there are slightly more checks and as I said these are checks we could mutually agree to skip. The French allow U.K citizens in without the stamp and we stop the twenty questions everytime we see an EU passport.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
The issues at Dover are nothing to do with Brexit. This is a pathetic attempt by France to be political. Nothing more.
No it is slower to get though at Dover now, just not as bad as this weekend has made out.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2022, 21:19   #4367
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Of course there are ramifications to the decision
As someone who voted to remain, just because I thought the extrication process would be a shitshow, I can also appreciate that for most the main driver for Brexit was just to leave the EU.

Regardless of any other implication

The fact we have left the EU, means for the majority of leavers Brexit was a success.

Anything subsequent to this is…………………subsequent to this.

Remainers can bang on about everything and anything but there were no guarantees of immediate sunlight uplands. Brexit advantages, if any, would be long term not short term.

It’s also a mute point, it’s happened, we’re not going back.
Old 24-07-2022, 21:25   #4368
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We didn’t need to have our passports stamped, or a check to see if we were spending more than 90 days out of 180 before Brexit.
Well you do now. You’re entering a different country and territory.

I won’t have any of you Remainiacs tell me I voted wrong or I should accept ramifications, I will not and never will. It’s called Democracy.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 21:35   #4369
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But you said
Quote:
The issues at Dover are nothing to do with Brexit
My response was to that point.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 22:04   #4370
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
As someone who voted to remain, just because I thought the extrication process would be a shitshow, I can also appreciate that for most the main driver for Brexit was just to leave the EU.

Regardless of any other implication

The fact we have left the EU, means for the majority of leavers Brexit was a success.

Anything subsequent to this is…………………subsequent to this.

Remainers can bang on about everything and anything but there were no guarantees of immediate sunlight uplands. Brexit advantages, if any, would be long term not short term.

It’s also a mute point, it’s happened, we’re not going back.

I take your point,

would I liked us to have stayed in the EU ? Absolutely.
Do I think we will rejoin in my lifetime ? Definitely not

I have an issue with the media that fed twaddle to their readers or viewers , the very same media who are now specifically trying to blame the French for measures that apply to ANY non EU resident entering the EU at any geographical point

https://apple.news/AYreIIX3eQM-AH0l28tc14Q

Politically left of course but the words spoken can’t be argued against and show precisely the lack of knowledge our politicians possess

I also find it deliciously ironic that there are those who voted leave because ‘I don’t want the EU telling us what to do’ (an entirely valid reason I might add) who now think we can wander round dictating how France should behave ? Kinda weird, non ?
Old 24-07-2022, 22:11   #4371
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But you said

My response was to that point.
The issues at Dover are nothing to do with Brexit. It’s all on France and that knob, they call Macron.
Old 24-07-2022, 22:24   #4372
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I also find it deliciously ironic that there are those who voted leave because ‘I don’t want the EU telling us what to do’ (an entirely valid reason I might add) who now think we can wander round dictating how France should behave ? Kinda weird, non ?
Exactly, this is the plural situation. We are in no position to complain about France managing their border how they see fit.
Old 24-07-2022, 22:47   #4373
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have an issue with the media that fed twaddle to their readers or viewers , the very same media who are now specifically trying to blame the French for measures that apply to ANY non EU resident entering the EU at any geographical point

https://apple.news/AYreIIX3eQM-AH0l28tc14Q

Politically left of course but the words spoken can’t be argued against and show precisely the lack of knowledge our politicians possess

Those who voted Leave believing there would be no disruption at Dover should be angry with the politicians who lied to them in that video and not the French.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 23:02   #4374
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Those who voted Leave believing there would be no disruption at Dover should be angry with the politicians who lied to them in that video and not the French.
Why can’t they be angry with France for having a shit border staffing issues which is what this is?
Old 24-07-2022, 23:49   #4375
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How will abolishing pointless quangos cost more? I suspect you have no idea of the extent of this problem, Grim.
Grim's cynicism is well founded. They're both making promises they can't keep just get Boris' job. How are they gonna stop the boat people? How are they gonna get us a doctor's appointment? How are they gonna get you a passport within 3 weeks? Etc.

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Andrew you shouldn't get into that lying game. We voted for sovereignty and an M20 queue, while not welcome, is no basis for decrying Brexit.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 00:30   #4376
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Andrew you shouldn't get into that lying game. We voted for sovereignty and an M20 queue, while not welcome, is no basis for decrying Brexit.
I'm not decrying Brexit. I'm just agreeing with the video compiler that those who said it would all be sweetness and light should be called out now.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 08:34   #4377
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, it was common sense that there would be teething problems. Only an idiot would think that we would seamlessly migrate from one system to another like switching a light on.

The whole thing has been made worse by France. As others have pointed oit, it was their failure to gst enough staff in to man the booths on time that caused this chaos. It was the French who caused those problems with the fishermen at the Channel Islands. It is the French and some other EU countries that are causing problems on the NI border through unnecessary bureaucracy.

These problems will get sorted out. We will rid ourselves of EU laws that are holding us back. We will negotiate trade deals that provide better benefits for this country. But these things take a little time. Brexiteers always knew that. Nothing to apologise for.
Old 25-07-2022, 08:36   #4378
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62287752
Quote:
Disabled drivers are being warned that their blue badges may not be accepted in popular European holiday destinations this summer due to Brexit.

Ministers are negotiating the status of the badges - which were recognised when the UK was in the EU - with 11 nations.

France, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Italy are among those "undecided" on recognising the discs, which help people park closer to a destination.
Old 25-07-2022, 08:45   #4379
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it was common sense that there would be teething problems. Only an idiot would think that we would seamlessly migrate from one system to another like switching a light on.

The whole thing has been made worse by France. As others have pointed oit, it was their failure to gst enough staff in to man the booths on time that caused this chaos. It was the French who caused those problems with the fishermen at the Channel Islands. It is the French and some other EU countries that are causing problems on the NI border through unnecessary bureaucracy.

These problems will get sorted out. We will rid ourselves of EU laws that are holding us back. We will negotiate trade deals that provide better benefits for this country. But these things take a little time. Brexiteers always knew that. Nothing to apologise for.
The French are perfectly entitled to man their borders as they see fit, why should the French tax payers pay more to suit the U.K. ?
Old 25-07-2022, 09:05   #4380
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The French are perfectly entitled to man their borders as they see fit, why should the French tax payers pay more to suit the U.K. ?
Are you really being this obtuse?

I told you posts ago that Tourists visiting France are paying in to the coffers of France, they should provide relevant services. They are to blame for this bullshit political grandstanding by understaffed border controls.