Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Watch Repair

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Mira Showers

Old 29-03-2022, 15:26   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Mira Showers

I'm having a bathroom conversion done and the engineers have mentioned they will be fitting a Mira branded shower.

The one i have at the moment is 10 years old and a Triton I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with Mira branded showers?

Thanks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2022, 15:43   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Mira Showers

The differences between electric showers really are their power consumption and cost of spare parts. Higher power consumption basically means better water flow at any given temperature. Cost of spares is self explanatory. I guess you can add to that, how often you’re likely to need spares.

Sadly I can’t offer you any specific insight into Mira or Triton units, however I can caution you against making generalisations - I have two Gainsborough units in my house (the brand is now owned by Aqualisa) and one of them hasn’t needed anything doing to it in 20 years while the other one has had its guts replaced 3 times. They aren’t the same model, which tends to suggest some of their designs are weaker than others.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 16:18   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I'm having a bathroom conversion done and the engineers have mentioned they will be fitting a Mira branded shower.

The one i have at the moment is 10 years old and a Triton I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with Mira branded showers?

Thanks.
I have had a Triton and a Mira, the Mira was installed by the folk that fitted my bathroom.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 17:06   #4
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Services: Virgin TV, Phone, mobile & BB. Netflix and Amazon.
Saul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really nice

We have had both Triton and Mira showers and all have been fine. Previously we had electric showers but the current one is a Mira mixer shower which is great. There was a slight issue just after it was fitted, where it made a strange squealing noise in operation but Mira sent an engineer out to fix it promptly and it has been good since.
Saul's Grandad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 17:16   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

We've had a Mira shower for ages. No complaints.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 18:13   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The council fitted 5kw Mira showers, but I turned one down and fitted a Triton 8kw one myself. They all get cold dribbles, I get full flow hot showers.

The council guy that does the safety checks told me that the Miras were underrated and people were unhappy. But he said that they last as long the other brands.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 18:54   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We’ve had Mira and Triton, and we were happy with both makes.

Had a Triton AS2000SR installed at the beginning of the year to the en-suite, and really happy with it - it’s very (very) quiet, compared to every other shower we’ve had.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 22:02   #8
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

We've had a Mira Honesty ERD mixer shower for 3 years and while it's not electric it's a great bit of kit. Would buy it again.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 10:49   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

We have the Mira Sport shower and it is great.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 01:42   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I had a Mira installed 6 years ago, its been perfectly fine.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 22:47   #11
livelysprite
cf.member

livelysprite is on a distinguished roadlivelysprite is on a distinguished road

I have a mira shower that the council fitted 10 years ago. The temperature control broke a few years ago, the little plastic cogs inside just broke. Now I have to take the shower cover off to adjust the temperature manually (switching off at the mains first). If you have gas, get a mixer shower. It will be a lot cheaper than an electric shower.

Off topic, when I was in b&Q recently, a man and his wife ( from pakistan I think) came up to me and showed me a photograph of his bathroom wall with a big hole in the wall and a shower pipe in the hole. He asked me what to use to fill the hole in with. I don't work in b&Q but I didn't mind helping him. I said I didn't know if you could just fill it in with plaster as the pipe might crack and he might need to put some foam insulation around the pipe first to allow expansion and contraction before putting plaster in the hole. I told him to ask b&Q staff and later I saw him at the checkout with a bucket of ready mixed fire cement.

Last edited by livelysprite; 13-04-2022 at 23:00.
livelysprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 22:56   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelysprite View Post
I have a mira shower that the council fitted 10 years ago. The temperature control broke a few years ago, the little plastic cogs inside just broke. Now I have to take the shower cover off to adjust the temperature manually (switching off at the mains first). If you have gas, get a mixer shower. It will be a lot cheaper than an electric shower.
Advantage of an electric shower, is that if your gas boiler breaks, you can still get warm water.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 02:30   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

In the end after everything they ended up fitting a Triton Omnicare 9.6kw as it was cheaper at trade at the time. So far so good at the moment.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote