Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gb with Hub 4 modem only mode.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

getting full speed from my Gig1 connection

Old 05-01-2022, 18:17   #1
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road
getting full speed from my Gig1 connection

if i purchase a https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0974XNG...629781_TE_item qnap 10GBe unmanaged switch can i plug my superhub 4 into one of the 10GBe ports on the switch and then use a cat6A cable from one of the 2.5GBe ports to connect to the 2.5GBe port on my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix x570)?

i get the feeling it's not that simple. would i need another router like an Asus RX86-U with a 2.5GBe WAN port?

Thanks in advance
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2022, 11:04   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: getting full speed from my Gig1 connection

that would work fine but I get the feeling you are getting confused as to what you are going to or trying to achieve.

1) If you are going to connect the new switch to the shub all you are going to be doing is extending your network. The PC will work absolutely fine and by having the switch at the top of the network all connected devices such as your pc can run at 2.5gbits if their NICs allow. The emphasis here is that your lan will run up to 2.5gbits and not the internet.

2) I get the impression you are trying to circumvent the 1gbit port restrictions so you can achieve greater than 1gbit speed if you are on the 1gbit tier. If that is the case you are out of luck. You have got to remember that it is a switch and not a router so you still need a router on your network (the shub 4 in this case) to handle NAT and dhcp etc. The shub 4 only has 1gbit ports so no matter what you have behind it everything will only run at 940mbits across the internet.
Your speed will always be as fast as the slowest link and even if your clients and switches on the lan were running at 10gbit, as soon as they hit the shub they are going through a 1gbit port and will slow down.

There is no way to achieve what I am assuming you want to at the moment until you get a shub 5 which has a 2.5gbit port on it. When you get that then you can use the switch you have linked to above and everything will run at full wan speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:43   #3
bigsinky
cf.addict

thanks for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it. the SH4 is the problem. So it wouldnt even work if i put the SH in modem mode and connected a ASUS AX-86U which has a 2.5g wan port. i would still be limited by the SH4's gigabit WAN connection. yes?
Old 06-01-2022, 11:45   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Yes, and the fact that whatever hub you get, VM are only supplying 1Gb to the premise (at this time)../
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:52   #5
bigsinky
cf.addict

Angry Re: getting full speed from my Gig1 connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes, and the fact that whatever hub you get, VM are only supplying 1Gb to the premise (at this time)../
yes i can see that. samknows gives me 1154Mbit down with 52Mbit up. with a gigabit switch i see 945Mbit to the PC via cable. just have to wait in the SH5 i suppose.

only VM would supply a router not up to spec for the service
Old 06-01-2022, 14:15   #6
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

You can bond two or more LAN ports on the Hub 4 to achieve what you are wanting as long as the router supports balance-rr port aggregation.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 15:36   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
This isn't true. As with all of VM's tiers they over-provision the rate a bit. For 1Gb it's more like 1.1Gb

As RankRotten says you can access this, but you need some networking knowledge to achieve it. The hub 5 is the 'fix' for everyone but the lowest common denominator still applies - a 1Gb interface will cap your fancy 2.5Gb ports at 1Gb
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 17:30   #8
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use pfsense for this super hub 4 in modem mode 2 cables to a dual intel gbit pci card in RR LAGG then a intel 2.5Gbit intel card as lan into a qnap 2.5Gbit switch desktop also has 2.5Gbit NIC

https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/a...a-116c2b9e694d
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote