Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wii to RISE to £199?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

Wii to RISE to £199?

Old 13-03-2009, 11:18   #1
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Wii to RISE to £199?

I was shocked when I read that Nintendo are going to INCREASE the trade price of the 2 year old Wii in the UK by around £18-20

They blame it on the poor pound against the Euro, and with the current economic climate this could be the very thing that ends the Wii's dominance.

Compare it against the 360, or even the Ps3, and you've got a console with lots of poor ports of PS2 games, the infestation of minigames, and the odd original title against the Big HD gaming machines, and that 20 quid price rise could be a killer if passed onto customers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/consumers-to-be-hit-by-ii-price-rise

Way to go Ninty
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2009, 11:23   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Wii to RISE to £199?

So, Ninty cocks up their marketing. Wouldn't be the first time.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 11:31   #3
zing_deleted

Its the only console ive seen hold a price I can not see how they can not soak this up. Surely they have paid for production costs now. They are using its success to be greedy and it will kick them up the backside
Old 13-03-2009, 11:32   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I fail to see how putting the price up on something that is essentially a 'luxury' item is going to help Nintendo when people are already not spending.....someone needs their head read.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:06   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Compare it against the 360, or even the Ps3, and you've got a console with lots of poor ports of PS2 games, the infestation of minigames, and the odd original title against the Big HD gaming machines, and that 20 quid price rise could be a killer if passed onto customers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/consumers-to-be-hit-by-ii-price-rise

Way to go Ninty
I'm amazed there is anyone still out there that thinks the essential comparison between the Wii and the Xbox/PS3 has anything to do with HD or cutting edge titles.

The Wii offers a kind of gameplay no other console can match. It has appealed to a totally different audience than the others. Some of the people I've talked to lately, who have bought or are planning to buy a Wii, wouldn't change their mind and buy an xbox instead even if the xbox was only half the price.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 12:50   #6
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

cant see it working as lately i have actually started seeing stacks of boxes of these in shops waiting for sale so they are not shifting as fast as they used to already putting the price up will just slow thier sales down further
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:21   #7
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Sorry Chris, I meant on price point guess I didn't write my post very well. The Wii was launched at a price far less than it's competitors, and that was a huge plus on the selling front. The Wii is great fun, I have one (as I've had every ninty console since the nes) there's no denying that, and yes it appeals to a much wider audience than the two other players, I'm just shocked that Ninty are thinking of an increase in price in the current economic climate.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:24   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I know, it is counter-intuitive, but they're not the only ones doing it. Ford and GM/Vauxhall have increased list prices. It is a symptom of the economic climate rather than an action in spite of it. These things are imported, and our currency is devaluing. That means they are, in real terms, more expensive for us, same as all imported good are.

Labour's piffling VAT reduction is going to be more than swallowed up over the next few months as everything from cars to TVs and Hi Fis gets more expensive (except for the tiny amount of this stuff that's actually made here, from components that are made here).
Old 15-03-2009, 22:12   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Of all consoles, The Wii was the cheapest of them all so putting the price up slightly isnt going to cause major problems.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 23:40   #10
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I think it's due to the £149 price of the new DSi
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 22:40   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Of all consoles, The Wii was the cheapest of them all so putting the price up slightly isnt going to cause major problems.
The Wii has not been the cheapest for a while now... the RRP of the bottom end Xbox 360 (The "Arcade" model with no HDD) is only £129.99 - cheaper than the Wii's RRP of £179.99...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Meant to post this yesterday when I got back but was so busy...

Anyway Tesco's have Wii+guitar heros currently down in price from £199 to £125

(The tescos I saw it in was Dunstable)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

If they had Wii + balance board for that price I'd snap it up in a second...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42   #14
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If they had Wii + balance board for that price I'd snap it up in a second...
The put it in the wardrobe for the foreseeable.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 18:32   #15
barby81
Inactive

barby81 is an unknown quantity at this point

This would get Nintendo really bad press ...don't think this is gonna happen during a recession when the Xbox 360 cost about £120.
barby81 is offline   Reply With Quote