Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Super Paper Mario [Wii] - review scores! - Out now

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

Super Paper Mario [Wii] - review scores! - Out now

Old 23-05-2007, 00:21   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Super Paper Mario [Wii] - review scores! - Out now

EDGE #176 June 2007 -

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE
........But, while it's a heritage that's produced something that is a little rough around the edges, it's also produced something that is genuinely, wonderfully unique. Despite how familiar its elements are, there's never been a Mario game quite like SPM. Indeed, there's never been any game quite like it. Charming, irrepressible, and inventive, the fact that it never manages to blend its ingredients smoothly together doesn't stop it being a toothsome pick 'n' mix of playful puzzles, familiar faces, and unrestrained whimsy. 7/10

gamesTM #57 -

9/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesTM
........It's absolutely magnificent....

....one of the best videogame scripts you're ever likely to see....

...if you're anywhere near as much in love with videogames as its creators clearly are, then Super Paper Mario might just be the best identity crisis you'll ever play. 9/10
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2007, 09:43   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Super Paper Mario [Wii] - review scores!

Sounds good.
Will have to give it a try some time.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 23:51   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Any idea when it's due out over here, Matt?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 00:04   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

No date yet
Old 14-09-2007, 01:31   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Released Friday 14th September.... today!

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...uperpapermario
Old 14-09-2007, 10:15   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Super Paper Mario [Wii] - review scores! - Out now

I am picking my copy at Lunch
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 10:53   #7
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Is this similar to the old Mario Platformers?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 11:10   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Not really, it's just weird. It's 2d because they are all in paper form but the would can be rotated into 3d.....
Old 14-09-2007, 11:20   #9
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not really, it's just weird. It's 2d because they are all in paper form but the would can be rotated into 3d.....
I was meaning more from a gameplay perspective. I.e. if you were really into the old school mario games is this a similar type of game.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 11:27   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
I was meaning more from a gameplay perspective. I.e. if you were really into the old school mario games is this a similar type of game.
I'll let you know.

Although I doubt it, it's very comic. More like a RPG as well. (you level up). The different style is taken advantage of as well.
Old 16-09-2007, 13:01   #11
Gareth
cf.mega poster

I really, really, really want to pick this up but apparently it'll install the v3 firmware which will bork my Freeloader so my imported Gamecube games won't work.

Gah.... I dunno what to do.
Old 16-09-2007, 13:53   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

really want to get it, but I'm having to restrain myself at the moment as I still other games to play first (Overlord & BioShock on the 360, and Zelda & RE4 on the Wii). If I get it now, it'll just sit there unplayed

Don't mind the v3 firmware, as I've got it already.

Can you use import Wii games too or just GC? (i.e. get the US SPM?)

How about getting a cheap 2nd hand GC for the imports?
Old 16-09-2007, 23:33   #13
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Had a play on this today and at first you have to get used to the 2D / 3D worlds way of play but once you get the hang of it which is pretty quick, it is pretty cool.
When you can't find something in 2D or need to get pasta certain area, flip to 3D and there is a new way of getting past.
Loads of fun

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 00:49   #14
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Don't mind the v3 firmware, as I've got it already.

Can you use import Wii games too or just GC? (i.e. get the US SPM?)

How about getting a cheap 2nd hand GC for the imports?
Nope, the Freeloader only works with imported GC games not Wii games sadly.

I had thought of getting a 2nd hand GC to use for the imports... the missus won't like it, but unless Datel come out with something I think I might have to do that.

However, I ended up buying Paper Mario when I was in town anyway (I've got no will power ) and my nipper played it earlier and it didn't upgrade the firmware after all... so I guess the bit in the manual refers to those not running v2 firmware. So can play this after all

Not had a go yet myself but Thomas absolutely loves it. He played it for about 45 mins earlier till the footy started and got the hang of the 2D/3D switching very quickly. Looks to be great fun from what he was saying.... seems the reviews of this were right
Old 18-09-2007, 21:01   #15
jubbi
Inactive

Services: XL Broardband, XL TV, V+ and extra STB, and standard phone
jubbi will become famous soon enoughjubbi will become famous soon enoughjubbi will become famous soon enough

It's an outstanding game. It takes the established mario 2d formula and put it in a blender. I'm glad they got rid of the battle system from paper mario on the n64. I really hate that kind of turn based fighting.
jubbi is offline   Reply With Quote